Bought a Seiko SKX009J Tips/Suggestions/Ideas?
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Bought a Seiko SKX009J Tips/Suggestions/Ideas?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bought a Seiko SKX009J Tips/Suggestions/Ideas?

Hi Guys. Like all of you Iím sure, Iím a watch nut and my collection of watches varies quite a bit. After discovering this forum not long ago I began seeing the usual Rolex threads, but I also noticed there were a lot of posts on the Seiko SKX series of watches. I recall buying a Seiko model SEH010 nearly 30 years ago and I wore it with pride because it was the nicest watch I could afford at the time. Eventually after many years of daily use the bracelet needed to be replaced and I swapped it out for a nice custom made black leather strap. It really toned the watch down quite a bit and it looked fantastic. I wore that watch for roughly 10 years, until I bought my first Rolex, a stainless/gold Submariner, after which I sold the Seiko to a nice man from Texas who was quite happy to get it.

Well.....26 years later and too numerous watch purchase to even remember, after having obtained some of my grail watches, I find myself looking downstream for an inexpensive, durable, well made diving watch that I can wear for bumming around, riding motorcycles, doing chores, etc. In other words, a watch that I can wear in rotation to keep some mileage off the nicer pieces in my collection, that I wouldnít necessarily wear for those type of activities. Enter the Seiko SKX.

So prior to joining this forum, I wasnít even aware the SKX existed, but then again Seikoís havenít exactly been on my radar either. So when I discovered all the positive reviews, YouTube videos and what appears to be a fairly large aftermarket for mods, I decided that I found the watch I was looking for. Gee...I had no idea Seiko had a watch that was so popular, I might even say legendary.

So thanks to many of you and posts that youíve written, I placed an order for an SKX009J along with a Strapcode Super Jubilee bracelet. Hopefully the watch will arrive in the next week.

Since Iím unfamiliar with the watch, I would like to hear from SKX owners on any tips, suggestions or ideas you have on how to improve or just comments on the watch in general. This is all new to me, so any input is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tango Alpha; May 6th, 2018 at 20:49.
    rfortson likes this.

Re: Bought a Seiko SKX009J Tips/Suggestions/Ideas?

Changing out the mineral glass to sapphire is all I can suggest. Otherwise it is a fantastic watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tango Alpha View Post
    Hi Guys. Like all of you Iím sure, Iím a watch nut and my collection of watches varies quite a bit. After discovering this forum not long ago I began seeing the usual Rolex threads, but I also noticed there were a lot of posts on the Seiko SKX series of watches. I recall buying a Seiko model SEH010 nearly 30 years ago and I wore it with pride because it was the nicest watch I could afford at the time. Eventually after many years of daily use the bracelet needed to be replaced and I swapped it out for a nice custom made black leather strap. It really toned the watch down quite a bit and it looked fantastic. I wore that watch for roughly 10 years, until I bought my first Rolex, a stainless/gold Submariner, after which I sold the Seiko to a nice man from Texas who was quite happy to get it.

Well.....26 years later and too numerous watch purchase to even remember, after having obtained some of my grail watches, I find myself looking downstream for an inexpensive, durable, well made diving watch that I can wear for bumming around, riding motorcycles, doing chores, etc. In other words, a watch that I can wear in rotation to keep some mileage off the nicer pieces in my collection, that I wouldnít necessarily wear for those type of activities. Enter the Seiko SKX.

So prior to joining this forum, I wasnít even aware the SKX existed, but then again Seikoís havenít exactly been on my radar either. So when I discovered all the positive reviews, YouTube videos and what appears to be a fairly large aftermarket for mods, I decided that I found the watch I was looking for. Gee...I had no idea Seiko had a watch that was so popular, I might even say legendary.

So thanks to many of you and posts that youíve written, I placed an order for an SKX009J along with a Strapcode Super Jubilee bracelet. Hopefully the watch will arrive in the next week.

Since Iím unfamiliar with the watch, I would like to hear from SKX owners on any tips, suggestions or ideas you have on how to improve or just comments on the watch in general. This is all new to me, so any input is appreciated.

Sapphire and an NH35 movement swap, $60 worth of parts. Keeps the original look. Maybe a ceramic bezel, the shiny kinda kills the tool watch look for me, but many like it.

Instagram: skunkworkswatches

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Iíve read that the Hardlex crystal leaves a bit to be desired. Any suggestions on a higher quality sapphire crystal?

Donít bother doing a crystal swap until the hardlex gets too scratched up. You can buy a sapphire one and have it in reserve, but no need to rush.

Iíve had mine for maybe three years so far and the original hardlex looks untouched. It helps that itís a tiny bit recessed ó itís at the same level as the bezel insert, but the very edge of the bezel is a little higher than the insert.

Is yours coming on a rubber strap or a Seiko jubilee? If itís the jubilee, give it an honest try and compare it with the Super Oyster. One personís ďflimsy and janglyĒ is another personís ďlight and comfortably flexibleĒ.

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    Donít bother doing a crystal swap until the hardlex gets too scratched up. You can buy a sapphire one and have it in reserve, but no need to rush.

Iíve had mine for maybe three years so far and the original hardlex looks untouched. It helps that itís a tiny bit recessed ó itís at the same level as the bezel insert, but the very edge of the bezel is a little higher than the insert.

Is yours coming on a rubber strap or a Seiko jubilee? If itís the jubilee, give it an honest try and compare it with the Super Oyster. One personís ďflimsy and janglyĒ is another personís ďlight and comfortably flexibleĒ.
    I ordered the J model which from what I was able to determine is only available on a rubber strap, so I ordered the Strapcode Super Jubilee. I initially thought that I wanted the larger, beefier Angus Jubilee, but they were sold out and wasnít really sure if that would be just too much heft for the watch to carry it off anyway. So hopefully the bracelet I ordered will strike a good balance.

Itís really hard to tell these things when looking online. Since I havenít been able to find either the bracelet or an SKX at a local store, Iím really basing all my decisions on what Iíve read and seen online.

I hope the watch meets my expectations....now itís only a matter of time before it arrives.

Oh...and as far as the Jubilee bracelet goes, Iíve never worn one. I do have an Oyster bracelet on my Submariner and I find it to be comfortable, but Iíve always been curious about the Jubilee. It looks much more comfortable because of the smaller links and flexibility. I guess Iíll find out soon enough.

I've had an SKX009 for a few years. It's a good watch for every day stuff. I personally liked the Jubilee, but it was a bit 'jangly' as mentioned. Tried a Super Oyster from Strapcode, but didn't feel just right so returned it. About 2 mos. ago I got a Z199 jubilee from Uncle Seiko. This one is all brushed - not as 'jangly' - and fits really well. Everyone has different tastes though.

Here's a pic of the 009 on the original Jubilee:

Here it is on Uncle Seiko's Z199:

Tango Alpha and TheFavorista like this.
    "Time is what we want most, but what we use worst." William Penn

Quote Originally Posted by Tango Alpha View Post
    I ordered the J model which from what I was able to determine is only available on a rubber strap, so I ordered the Strapcode Super Jubilee. I initially thought that I wanted the larger, beefier Angus Jubilee, but they were sold out and wasnít really sure if that would be just too much heft for the watch to carry it off anyway. So hopefully the bracelet I ordered will strike a good balance.

Itís really hard to tell these things when looking online. Since I havenít been able to find either the bracelet or an SKX at a local store, Iím really basing all my decisions on what Iíve read and seen online.

I hope the watch meets my expectations....now itís only a matter of time before it arrives.
    Iíve got the Strapcode Super Jubilee on my Turtle at present. Iím sure that you wonít be disappointed

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want"

Oops. I read your post wrong. Strapcode's “Super Jubilee” should be great choice. Congrats.
    Tango Alpha likes this.
    "Time is what we want most, but what we use worst." William Penn

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information