Bought a "very good condition" watch on ebay. Turns out it needs a service ..
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Bought a "very good condition" watch on ebay. Turns out it needs a service ..

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Bought a "very good condition" watch on ebay. Turns out it needs a service ..

So i picked up a watch on ebay in the $1000 range. It was described as "in very good condition". The first day i noticed it was running 25 sec/day fast. I thought i would go have it regulated. The watch maker called me and said this watch needs a service since it's accuracy is very random from - 15 seconds in one direction and +25 in an other. Also turning the regulating screw is doing nothing.

So because the watch is now opened by a watch maker, am i **** out of luck to return it ? What are my options ?

I just noticed the ad said "No refund will be allowed for any items sold as is or any time pieces that were not tested for time accuracy."

Although there is a 30 day return policy on his listing.

Thanks.

Re: Bought a "very good condition" watch on ebay. Turns out it needs a service ..

If I was the seller in this circumstance, I would not accept a return.
    Breguet Type XX, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph "Jacques Yves Cousteau", IWC Portuguese Automatic, JLC Deep Sea Cermet, JLC Tribute to Polaris 1965, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Panerai 233 "Dot", Panerai 439 Oro Rosso, Patek Philippe 5130G World Time, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Seadweller, Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph 49150, Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionnelle Chronograph.

IG: bvllitt

Re: Bought a "very good condition" watch on ebay. Turns out it needs a service ..

Quote Originally Posted by islands62 View Post
    If I was the seller in this circumstance, I would not accept a return.
    Ya live and ya learn.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Explain what happened to the seller and see what they say. You have done nothing ill-intentioned so just tell the truth.
    Nokie likes this.

Out of curiosity, why is it that you're looking for a return? Is it bc the cost to service/fix the watch is high (i.e. you would've paid a lower price if you knew of the speed issue)? Or is it that the speed issues are likely indicative of greater problems?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by barbecoa View Post
    Out of curiosity, why is it that you're looking for a return? Is it bc the cost to service/fix the watch is high (i.e. you would've paid a lower price if you knew of the speed issue)? Or is it that the speed issues are likely indicative of greater problems?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    I wouldn't actually be looking for a return if the watch was just running a little fast/slow. I have no problem paying a few bucks to get it regulated. What worries me is that it's not just a regulation that's needed. The watch has to be serviced. I wouldn't have expected this for a watch model that was just released 2 - 3 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by lovebandit View Post
    Explain what happened to the seller and see what they say. You have done nothing ill-intentioned so just tell the truth.
    Ya i mentioned it to him. I asked when he bought the watch and if he bought it new. He said he bought it from a customer and has no history on it. He said he tests them to make sure they're running but not for long term accuracy.

I don't see how a used watch running +25 seconds/per day is grounds for a return--it is, after all, a USED watch, which I assumed had no mention of recent (or any) service, I further assume based on what you have said that you didn't inquire as to accuracy before purchasing it, so, you bought it perhaps hoping for the best but really you should have at least considered the possibility of the worst. I always buy used watches with the assumption that it likely will have to be serviced, and factor that into my purchase price, unless, after an exchange with the the buyer (prior to purchase), I find that it has been serviced, is running perfectly, and so forth.

Its a bit of a bummer, but a used watch, unseen, whose seller 'checks it runs', coming from an unknown original source, with uncertain history will always be a bit hit n miss
    Running fast is one thing - running irregular means it needs a service.
    But hey, Ive bought new watches that needed servicing!

I dont think you have any recourse with the seller, I think you have to swallow this and get ur watchmaker to do the full wollop on it and then enjoy it or if the love is now lost, sell it on the bay or here as 'newly fully serviced' and get ur money back +

But with the full service factored in, as a percentage increase over what you paid on ebay, it will still be a reasonable price, n'est ce pas?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyKarate View Post
    He said he bought it from a customer and has no history on it. He said he tests them to make sure they're running but not for long term accuracy.
    This is probably your best grounds for a return. If the seller did not disclose this upfront, then there may some issues with truth in advertising. If you didn't ask prior to the sale then you didn't do due diligence which weakens your case.

Kinda sticky....
    I do not have a watch collection - I have an accumulation of watches

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information