Bought a watch to gift to a colleague, but I'm thinking of keeping it for myself...
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bought a watch to gift to a colleague, but I'm thinking of keeping it for myself...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bought a watch to gift to a colleague, but I'm thinking of keeping it for myself...

Suffice it to say, that my workplace is a bit of a wasteland when it comes to fine Timepieces. Aside from our CEO, the workspace is littered with Invicta's, fashion brands, and a seemingly endless supply of Asian produced Quartz monstrosities.

One of the high-powered Sales Reps I work with, doesn't wear a watch. He uses his "cellphone" as a timepiece. If you are feeling a bit ill to your stomach right now, you're not alone. The modern version of a pocket watch, minus any charm or taste.

So like a good enthusiast, I took it upon myself to gift him a finely crafted timepiece, so that he too can taste true luxury. Not knowing where to start, I headed to a large friendly internet auction site, and typed automatic watch.

Not having a specific criteria, I was hoping to see something that would stand out from the rest. Like any good WIS I was prepared to spend thousands on this little endeavor, and was pleasantly surprised to see it would cost me a bit less.... When I found this.

The GOER Automatic Mechanical Date Men Watch Chronograph US...

Now, to be honest, the name of the watch is a bit deceptive... in the sense that it isn't a Chronograph in the true sense of the word. In reality it's so much more.

Raised Gold Arabic numbers, two... yes two second hands. One with a direct drive mechanism and another that employes an indirect drive. It's like owning a Miyota 8215 and Seiko 7s26 in one watch!
    Furthermore, the highly decorated movement glides at 6 beats per second, and although it doesn't hack, it handwinds with what can only be described as a silk like quality.

Then there's the crown. I used to be on the fence when it came to the large canteen style crown employed by U-Boat, or TW Steel.... or even god forbid... Invicta.
    Now I get it. I'm going to give a nod to the Rolex owners who have told me you have to own one to get "it", because now that I own this watch (albeit temporarily) I get the canteen.
    It unscrews with a buttery precision that only a Goer owner can appreciate. The canteen yields access to the hidden motherload... the crown, and it certainly doesn't disappoint. No clicks winds the mainspring barrel. One click, quick set date. Two clicks, sets the time. Simple yet elegant.

The strap seals the deal. Very few manufactures have been so bold to date, as to put a Leather pilot's fleiger strap on a tool diver watch... until now.
    Goer not only pulls off this risque combination, but I would argue it IS what pulls the entire body of work together into a graceful yet masculine timepiece.

There are those here that argue a watch can not be art. That it is a tool, an instrument that functions and that art by definition has to be void of function. For those that adhere to this Post Modern dribble, I present to you The GOER Automatic Mechanical Date Men Watch Chronograph US.

Now the hard part. Giving it away.
    Our Strategy meeting is at 9am MST on Monday. It is going to be hard to part with this object, but opening up the world of finely crafted timepieces to a new enthusiast, seems a fair trade.
    Last edited by sl7vk; January 3rd, 2011 at 21:36. Reason: photos of weapons r prohibited
    brett kenny likes this.
    Seiko / Orient / Hamilton

Re: Bought a watch to gift to a colleague, but I'm thinking of keeping it for myself...

I'm miffed.
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

Re: Bought a watch to gift to a colleague, but I'm thinking of keeping it for myself...

Something that sweet... I can see why you would want to keep it. Maybe hold on to it for a few days, you know, just in case. Nobody likes gifter's remorse. Plus, it will only be awkward if you get caught steeling it back (I'd do hard time for a watch like that - really). Word of caution: think about making your presentation at the end of the day, for the sake of workplace productivity.

Thanks for posting such sweet action. You've outdone yourself and now I have to add another piece to my grail list.
    In order of purchase:
    Breitling Grand Premier - Seeing less wrist time
    Nike Oregon WA0018 - Weekend Warrior
    Glycine Combat 07 - Daily Driver
    Seiko Orange Monster - Because everyone else does
    Prometheus OD GMT 015/500 - When I'm on the move
    Omega Seamaster Great White - How it's supposed to be

On the hunt for:
    Nothing right now

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I hate to say it but he probably won't wear it. There are people that just simply don't like the feeling of a watch on their wrist, and most of those people are the ones who use their cell phone to tell the time.

you must be in slaes yourself...that was quite a review. If you love something, set it free...

Quote Originally Posted by leamico View Post
    you must be in slaes yourself...that was quite a review. If you love something, set it free...
    Wow....
    That was all I needed to hear, the watch will be set free tomorrow.

Now, you people are speaking my language. The language of luxury, quality. The sort of heirlooms we can pass with pride to our grandchildren (or nephew in my case). Why hand such a gem to a plebe of a workmate, only to be scorned with lack of recognition. True quality pearls pass unheeded beneath the snorting noses of porcine bacon-ready swine. Here are two from my treasured cache, free (plus shipping) from the mysterious land of the Oriental craftsmen. Joking aside, the Jaragar on the right actually doesn't completely suck! (mostly.) The skeleton AK on the left was a gift from my friend for me to disembowel, and gosh darn it I can't bring myself to tear either of these apart yet - they actually run rather well! Whodathunkit. "Ugly, yes, but I like it too!"

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Now, you people are speaking my language. The language of luxury, quality. The sort of heirlooms we can pass with pride to our grandchildren (or nephew in my case). Why hand such a gem to a plebe of a workmate, only to be scorned with lack of recognition. True quality pearls pass unheeded beneath the snorting noses of porcine bacon-ready swine. Here are two from my treasured cache, free (plus shipping) from the mysterious land of the Oriental craftsmen. Joking aside, the Jaragar on the right actually doesn't completely suck! (mostly.) The skeleton AK on the left was a gift from my friend for me to disembowel, and gosh darn it I can't bring myself to tear either of these apart yet - they actually run rather well! Whodathunkit. "Ugly, yes, but I like it too!"

Beautiful timepieces. One of the many reasons I keep coming back to watchuseek is to mingle and trade ideas with people of a certain "taste." Those that understand the finer things in life are not confined to the latest video gaming machine, or what size aftermarket rims your car has.... Sigh...

This is my home away from home.....

Banned

Wow, I definitely don't belong in this thread..... except for the dripping sarcastic tones, that is.

...but neither do the words "luxury" and "quality" with a picture of a watch that wrongly uses the word "chronograph" in it's description and looks like a knock-off of an Invicta with that canteen crown.

I'd set that watch free too.

Wonderful review of what is clearly a watch that manages to be state of the art and timeless at the same time. I'm not going to ask what it cost, I clearly couldn't afford it.
    Ball | Bulova | Casio | CWC | HMT | Invicta | Nomos | Omega | Orient | Rolex | Seagull | Seiko | Shanghai | Timex | Vostok

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information