Brand Connection
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Brand Connection

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Brand Connection

Your most expensive watch (that you bought).
    Think about it.
    Why did you choose it over some other brand?
    Is it brand connection? How much is that worth?
    A few years back I was deciding between a Nomos Club and a Stowa Partitio (and also the Flieger).
    The tipping point was that Nomos was very responsive as a brand. Sure Stowa is very good too but Nomos is very funny.
    They have great social media presence and all I did was inquire about a catalogue and next thing I knew, they sent one to me...no questions asked.

Is Brand Connection important to you?
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

Re: Brand Connection

I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t.

There’s brands I’m drawn to and stay away from becuase, for one reason or the other I developed a liking of them. The ones I’m drawn to are
    • JLC - they’re kinda quirky and do things all over the market
    • IWC - I just got drawn to, I like their tool watches (well the ones from 10years ago) becuase they’re just funky.
    • Rolex - I found boring and overpriced until I got deeper into watches and began to appreciate them for what they are. Price factors excluded I like them becuase they are well made, I just like the tactile sense they have in your hands, especial manually winding the crown.
    • Seiko -at all points of the Seiko and Grand Seiko market you have incredibly well made watches. Amazing bang for buck.

Brands I don’t like
    My reasons are pretty fickle for this. Some, well all, are really stupid reasons but alas at the end of the day I wouldn’t spend money on these brands for these stupid reasons.

Yes I very well aware how ridiculous my reasons are and trying to rationalise with me on these will only make me more resistant.
    • Omega and Tag - I don’t like for the same reasons. Too many ‘limited’ editions. I have a wave dial SMP and a Speedy. Both are two greet watches however, as much as I like some Omegas, I don’t like the brand anymore and can’t see myself owning another one (well maybe. Snoopy but only becuase I’m a fan of the cartoon,not becuase of its collectibility).
    • FP Journe - that bit of Latin on the dial claiming he’s the greatest. Incredibly douchy. I wouldn’t wear one even if i was given it.
    • Nomos - Stupid name, yawn worthy design
    • Borderline = Tudor - well not quite there yet but I’m pretty sure another version of the black bay will put them on this list

Like I said, stupid reasons.
    Last edited by Gunnar_917; November 16th, 2017 at 08:15.
    vkalia likes this.

Connection to brand as a statement, not at all. Connection due to quality (in whatever way that is pertinent to a buyer), absolutely.
    Paulo 8135 and mfunnell like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

No. Brand connection as in their social media presence, responsiveness, or the thoughtfulness of their marketing/social media team means absolutely nothing to me. I want to be connected to the people I like not a watch brand. They’re there to sell me a product, just make a good watch (who am I kidding, just make a pretty watch) and you’ve got my interest.

Now if you’re talking about pre and post customer support, then yeah, I’d like them to be on top of their game but I don’t want them to be my friend.
    SeanoftheDead516 likes this.
    My Watch Pics (IG) ---> CLICK HERE
    Sales Forum Feedback History ---> CLICK HERE

Quote Originally Posted by chuasam View Post
    Oh, definitely!

Watches are a luxury where rational facts only serve to support our not so rational decisions. I certainly wouldn't have bought a 4k€ Panerai with an Eta 6497 movement if it was any different. I have a Genesis Aura because I deeply admire Christine Genesis' work. I might buy an Alexander Shorokhoff next year because I love Shorokhov's bold designs and his philosophy. I'll probabaly never buy a Rolex because I despise the perceived Rolex snobbery on this forum. Etc., etc.

The list goes on and on..
    Last edited by ffritz; November 16th, 2017 at 13:44.

It can be. Some brands really resonate with me on personal level. Doesn't mean I'll buy a watch I don't like from them, but if there is a watch I do like and the brand really speaks to me - it will certainly influence my decision.

These include:
    - Zenith: love the style, the history, how Charles Vermot saved EP, etc. To me they are an underdog who keep getting up and pushing on no matter what
    - JLC - love their approach to watchmaking, styles, history, and how they maintain historical roots but also look to the future
    - RGM - love real US watchmaking renaissance, the style approach of Ronald Murphy, the focus on dials - enamel & guilloche

There are many others too. Ultimately a lot of decisions we make - whether buying a watch or a car or a pair of jeans - are influenced with our associations with a brand.
    mpalmer likes this.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Moderator Public Forum soaking.fused's Avatar

Of course.

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Definitely have a connection with Doxa - love their company, and their continued push to keep a small, but important dive watch on the market. I've bought a couple watches from them - and a book. And never had a bad experience.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

I would by lying if half the reason I own my Sub, Speedy, SMP.... isn’t because I like to channel my inner secret agent and astronaut. I like it, it makes me smile, and f-ck it we buy watches for weird emotional reasons and I personally wouldn’t get anywhere near the same enjoyment out of wearing an expensive patek and pretending my kid just got accepted to Harvard and I need to buy him a congratulatory yacht

Yes, but nevertheless I bought a Rolex to compliment my Nomos.

Quote Originally Posted by chuasam View Post
    mpalmer likes this.
    Cheers, M

"Both feet on the floor, two hands on the wheel, may the wind take your troubles away."

- Son Volt -

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information