The brand name on the watch. How much does that influence your choice? - Page 2
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: The brand name on the watch. How much does that influence your choice?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: The brand name on the watch. How much does that influence your choice?

It doesn't, it's what catches my eye at the moment.

The "great buy for the money" phrase has always bothered me. A product is either good or it isn't and should not be judged on it's cost. But yes, I do want to see the name on the dial. I don't wear a Rolex but I do have some watches that are high cost and when I look at it I want to see the name. I'm out to impress no one and none of my friends have ever asked the brand of a watch I have on.

I bought a SS Rolex 1501 in 1968 when I was living in Europe. Previously I bought an Omega, but it did not keep good time, and after being "serviced" by the watchmaker in the Munich PX the crystal fell off and the hands got damaged. I returned it for a refund. After doing a lot of research I settled on my Rolex. It was not a question of price (I paid $160.00 for it) but its reputation. I owned this watch until last year when It was "lost" by USPS after being returned from being serviced. By chance last year I bought a Russian Vostok Tank watch, and after doing a bit of research, started buying and selling as many Vostoks, Slavas, Volmax, and Poljots I could afford. I now have about 30 Russian watches in my collection, representing a number of rare and scarce examples. I have slowed down my buying, but am still selling on eBay. The watches in my collection were based on the quality, style, and brand name. Russian watches, quality, who would think. To each his own.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It does to a certain extent, but is not the sole factor in my decisions. I certainly don't care what others think of the name on the dial (as a Grand Seiko owner, I think that's evidence enough), but some brands are indicative of a level or quality - or not. I would not likely discount a watch simply because of the brand unless it was known to be consistently subpar.
    Glashütte Original PanoReserve || Grand Seiko SBGW253 || Omega Railmaster 2504.52 | 1966 Cal. 561 Seamaster Constellation || Nomos Glashütte Club || Archimede Outdoor Protect || Ball Fireman Racer || Hanhart Pioneer Valjoux 23 || Oak & Oscar Jackson

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

Are you talking about Rolex?

Because other than Rolex, there is no other brands that people will notice enough that one would wear watches for prestige value. (Maybe Tag/Omega/Breitling, but they are considered "Good" where as a Rolex is automatically seen as Super duper expensive.

A co-worker told me recently that he saw someone bring in a Rolex at Antiques road show and he was surprised that the watch Which appeared to be a good condition would ONLY be appraised at couple of thousands, he thought it would be couple tens of thousands.

So, Ordinary folks appears to overvalue the Rolex and thus the reason for "prestige" factor of the brand.

So, that said, of COURSE I can not discount brand name completely, because brand name, (for good or bad reason) determines certain amount of quality built into it because they have reputation to uphold.

Others will have to prove to me their quality. I do not mind buying/wearing lesser known names if their quality has been proven. (Thus I had enjoyed RGM, Kobold, Limes, Mido, Stowa, Eberhard, Damasko, Nomos, etc)

I won't mind trying out a new (to me) brand as long as they appear to be a good value.

Anyways, one of my goals is to try out as many different brands as I can. I can now scratch off GO from the list of brands that I have owned.
    Chronic flipper...

Mainly I buy watches hoping to impress strangers on the internet.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

It means something to me, but not for the prestige or that others may recognize it. It just tells me what to expect (in general terms) in it's quality and features. I own and enjoy many inexpensive watches, but I don't expect the same materials or finishing as more expensive brands. I like them all, but the brand helps to determine it's quality or features ranking.

It also keeps me away from some watches (think Invicta).

In my case, if I'm buying watches in the "affordable" range (which I consider to be around and under $500), my choice is maybe affected more by cost x benefit than by brand, but brand definetly plays a role here. I'd say 60% cost x benefit and 40% brand. Benefit meaning a mix between style and quality.

That means I would definetly buy a good cost benefit Seiko watch, but would never buy a similar Invicta, simply because I think Invicta would somehow detract from the perceived value of the watch. But I could end up with an Invicta if they made a watch that was some how a lot better than the Seiko and for a lower price.

However, when we go to the $ 2K range and beyond, my choice would be quite strongly affected by brand. IMO but when you spend that much on a watch, what you are buying is status and prestige, and nothing else. What can a $10K Rolex do that a $700 Hamilton can't? Very very little. You might love the rolex style, but I'm pretty sure you could find a similar quality watch on the $500-$1K range.

Therefore, if I was ever to spend that kind of money on a watch (which I'm prety far from at the moment), it would because I wanted to show prestige (and there's nothing wrong with that). I would therefore be VERY strongly inclined to brands that would be recognizable by the ones around me, which means Rolex, Omega, TAG, and maybe Breitling.

To answer the OP question, if brand was not recognizable while wearing the watch, than I would never spend more than something around $800 on a watch.

Why do we pay $150 on a Nike tennis, while we could pay $30 for a lesser brand manufactured in the same factory in China... But if nobody could see the nice little nike logo on your tennis, I can see Nike sales dropping a bit, can't you?

I guess it does play a factor for me, but not to impress others. I look for the reputation, the history, the long term quality. The first and foremost thing that attracts me to it, is the style.
    Myself, I tend to focus more on divers and when collecting divers it almost seems the popular route to take is the smaller lesser known brands. Again, that's not how I feel about it though, but I own/owned brands right across the spectrum.

Sadly, I'm not yet at the point in personal development, where one surpasses vanity, I must admit that brand name ultimately ends up being a determining factor in my watch purchases. There are a few brands that I have decided to pass on. Its not to say that if they make a decent model I wouldn't give it a second look. Or give an ugly watch a second look because of a brand name. I would sooner buy an Invicta that I like than a rolex I dont.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information