The brand name on the watch. How much does that influence your choice?
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: The brand name on the watch. How much does that influence your choice?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Question The brand name on the watch. How much does that influence your choice?

How much does the brand name on the watch influence your choice of purchase? And why?
    Do we covet or buy certain brands because of the prestige factor? Many people choose certain cars for this reason.
    Would your choice be less based on brand if the brand name was not visible when the watch was on the wrist? For purposes of this discussion please assume the vast majority of brands are reliable.
    Cheers

Banned

Re: The brand name on the watch. How much does that influence your choice?

Some brands names tell me the prouct is of a certain quality.
    (same with cars!)

Quite a bit actually.
    The "brand name" is a known quantity, or quality.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by huntershooter View Post
    Quite a bit actually.
    The "brand name" is a known quantity, or quality.
    What if the brand name was not visible when the watch was on your wrist? In other words how much does OTHERS SEEING THE BRAND NAME influence you?

For me, not at all, really.
    If the MBII was made by Casio - I'd buy it.
    If the Seamaster Pro was made by Alpha - I'd buy it.

I buy the watch because I like it, and then the brand comes second.
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Breitling SuperOcean
    Bremont MBII
    Bremont ALT1-P
    Casio G-Shock Aviator GW-3000B
    Omega Seamaster 2541.80
    Seiko Black Monster
    Seiko SKX007
    Suunto Core "All Black"
    Suunto Core Alpine Edition
    Suunto Vector
    Tissot Sea-Touch.

"When the weight of the paper equals the weight of the airplane, only then you can go flying."

Hmmm...this is kind of tricky for me. I really like Rolex watches, but the brand name is almost a detriment to me. That particular brand name sells lots of watches to people that just want an "expensive" watch and want everyone to know it. I like Rolex for the quality and styling, but dislike certain connotations that go along with it. While I may buy a watch from a particular brand based on their reputation, I never buy watches so that everyone will think I am cool for wearing XYZ brand. There is nothing wrong with buying flashy brand names as long as you are doing it for the right reasons.

I just had an employee of mine ask me for help buying a watch this week in a certain price range. I sent him links to a half dozen brands that he had never heard of, but were all amazing watches and better than what he would have ended up with after a trip to the mall jewelry store.
    Seiko SBDC061
    Seiko PADI Samurai SRPB99
    Rolex 16610 Sub
    Rolex 16600 SD
    Steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT
    G-Shock GD400-MB
    G-Shock Mudmaster GWG-1000-1A3JF
    Casio Pathfinder

Brand does play a role in influencing my watch choice. Every brand is sort of targeting a specific niche in the market. This effects everything from design, production, cost, and etc.

Because I prefer to purchase original design, I would stay away from brands that tend to copy other design. Admittedly, I do own 1 homage watch (sterile of course).

I also tend to stay away from fashion brands because imho, they value fashion over style.

There are brands that have in-house movements while others don't. I will choose accordingly.

Some brands offer great value and I will stick to those for a certain price point.

About the niche part, the first impression is aesthetics. Each watch company sort of has a goal in mind and you can see it in their design and style of watches. Most brands, non-fashion brands, do not try to be everywhere at once. Kind of like a jack-of-all-trades vs. a master idea. If I like a certain watch, I will more likely than not like the other watches in the brand's line up.

At the moment, I cannot really think of 2 brands that are more alike than different. Please do share if you come up with any.

EDIT: Summary: Watch brand acts as a filter for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
    I really like Rolex watches, but the brand name is almost a detriment to me. That particular brand name sells lots of watches to people that just want an "expensive" watch and want everyone to know it.
    Thats the thing:
    Give someone in the street (not literally!) a £100k Patek, and a £10k Rolex, and I guarantee you they'll say the Rolex is better/more expensive just because they've heard of the brand and they know they are "expensive".

However, that is for another thread...

cheers,
    Jake.
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Breitling SuperOcean
    Bremont MBII
    Bremont ALT1-P
    Casio G-Shock Aviator GW-3000B
    Omega Seamaster 2541.80
    Seiko Black Monster
    Seiko SKX007
    Suunto Core "All Black"
    Suunto Core Alpine Edition
    Suunto Vector
    Tissot Sea-Touch.

"When the weight of the paper equals the weight of the airplane, only then you can go flying."

I certainly make use of the brand name as vital info - like an author's name. I can look up where they've been, what they've done, for how much, etc.

But I don't always care to see their name so loudly displayed on the dial. For the most part I prefer sterile dials. Once I have the info regarding its origin, quality, I'd just as be happy to NOT see the name ever again.

As far as I know, the German brand TEMPTION is the only brand that 'blacks out' their name so it is not so visible on the dial. It's there, but in "stealth mode" - so, not immediately visible. I like that a lot.
    Metlin likes this.

Ive noticed a trend in my watch buying habits at least several forum members have used this statements "great watch for the money". I guess that says something about the watches I purchase. All of the watches I've purchased have been recognized brands some smaller than others but name brands nevertheless. Does name recognition affect my buying habits yes but I'll take a chance on a boutique brand if it has a good following even if it didn't have a name on the dial. My Steinhart doesn't have it's name on the dial and it's my favorite watch.
    Last edited by lotsofstufftogo; August 26th, 2011 at 23:14.
    NFW AutoPilot, Steinhart Nav B-Uhr II 44 mm Automatic., Seiko "BFS" SNKF09. Seiko "Spork" SRP043K. Seiko SRP639KI & lots of G-Shocks.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information