Brand prestige vs the limit you would spend? (only respond if brand and prestige to others matter)
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Brand prestige vs the limit you would spend? (only respond if brand and prestige to others matter)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Brand prestige vs the limit you would spend? (only respond if brand and prestige to others matter)

This thread is not for those who state brand image and how others see it should not matter. There is a place for every point of view in this hobby so we should all enjoy it together. This thread is for those who like to show off a little.

So with that out of the way... At what point and which brand do you feel if you had the money to purchase (with in your current limit or if you saved up for) a particular watch, would be your limit based on where you feel the prestige of the brand is not equal to the cost of the watch?

If the question is confusing, just let me know. A example would be maybe there is a particular brand where one of the watches you would want from it cost about 10k and another brand you might not mind to own (if it was free) where that particular watch is like 20k but would be less noticed, admired, or feel less prestigious than its cost, let alone the watch that would have cost you 10k. Now this can be different for everybody depending on the circles you are around. If you hang around watch people, I am sure that limit goes higher because you know you watch would be known.

Edit: I am adding an example because my thread has gotten confusing.

So for example, my grail was/is my Datejust. But when I thought to myself would I save for a higher priced watch maybe in the $15k range and if it would be worth it for me based on how I would perceive the value of the watch along with how I thought others would perceive it, I could not think of a watch that fit that area. I tried doing a search under some of the brands I would not mind to own like JLC or AL&S but for me the particular watch I would want from such a brand would be a gold complete calendar or better. But that type of watch goes into a price range I would not feel justifies the perceived value for me in particular. And some other complete calendars are on brands I consider less prestigious than my Datejust and would just give me that sense of moving to my limit.

So what is a watch you really like from a certain brand that you would love to own but to buy it just does not seem worth it because you know it would not be considered as valuable to the circles you hang around or perceived as valuable for what you paid in your mind?
    Last edited by Rakumi; May 3rd, 2019 at 19:19.

Re: Brand prestige vs the limit you would spend? (only respond if brand and prestige to others matt

I'm not quite sure that I fully get your question, but generally if I were buying for prestige or recognition from the average person, the only brand I would consider would be Rolex, because that's the only brand most people recognize. Otherwise, very few people would know or notice the difference between even a modest watch and a Patek.

That said, I buy for my own taste and not that of others. For example, I covet a blue dialed IWC Portugueiser Yacht Club, but based solely on prestige recognition by others it would never be worth the $12K RRP. However, I'd buy that watch in a heartbeat if I could.

And, again strictly buying for only prestige and recognition by others, I would never, ever buy a Grand Seiko. No matter how much I spent, and no matter how cool a spring drive might be, everyone would just see it as a Seiko.
    slcbbrown and BarracksSi like this.

Re: Brand prestige vs the limit you would spend? (only respond if brand and prestige to others matt

Not only do I not have a clue what the question is but you lost me at the “like to show off a little part”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My collection changes so often I got tired of redoing my signature

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

GTA, Ontario, Canada, the True North strong and free

Let me translate for the OP: "what's the optimum cost to be a maximum show off?"
    City74, bmfang, Mikefable and 4 others like this.
    DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

Bright gold coloured fashion watch on a gold coloured bracelet!!

About £19.99.
    timefleas and u2bdet like this.
    " I am easily impressed by the best" - Winston Churchill.

"One cannot but admire the cold-bravery and enterprise of these Italians"
    Admiral Cunningham, referring to the frogmen of the M.A.S in WW2.

I read the question twice and it still makes no sense.
    Brand Prestige is part of the point of buying a watch. If not you can just use your cellphone to tell the time.
    City74 likes this.
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

[QUOTE=PetrosD;48825185]I'm not quite sure that I fully get your question, but generally if I were buying for prestige or recognition from the average person, the only brand I would consider would be Rolex, because that's the only brand most people recognize. Otherwise, very few people would know or notice the difference between even a modest watch and a Patek.

That said, I buy for my own taste and not that of others. For example, I covet a blue dialed IWC Portugueiser Yacht Club, but based solely on prestige recognition by others it would never be worth the $12K RRP. However, I'd buy that watch in a heartbeat if I could.

And, again strictly buying for only prestige and recognition by others, I would never, ever buy a Grand Seiko. No matter how much I spent, and no matter how cool a spring drive might be, everyone would just see it as a Seiko.

I'd have to agree. In my experience the only watch most people recognize and make a fuss over is Rolex. Wear a $40K Patek and no one will comment.

Totally agree with PetrosD. In my experience the only watch most people recognize and make a fuss over is Rolex. Wear a $40K Patek and no one will comment. You have to buy what makes you feel good because most people don't care what you have on.

While I would normally say Rolex, particularly the Sub because it is so recognizable, my recent experience in having my watch noted was when I was wearing a Breitling Navitimer (also pretty iconic, but not like the Sub). As far as where my personnal limit is on brand prestige vs cost, I would have to say the Piaget / AP range is too expensive for me since virtually everyone I know wouldn't have a clue what they were. Also, just let me say that my opinion is wear a watch that you like because YOU like it. Don't wear it for anyone else.
    Rakumi and slcbbrown like this.

My favorite watch is my Jaeger LeCoultre Master Control Hometime and I when I wear it I hope it gets noticed but it rarely does. My Rolex Day Date on the other hand, my most expensive watch but not nearly my favorite gets a lot of comments but I rarely like to show it off. I do get a lot of compliments by the ladies on my Orient Star Retrograde, I guess they like the black dial with the rose gold hands and case, maybe a real eye catcher.
    vkalia likes this.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information