Brand Recognition
Like Tree242Likes

Thread: Brand Recognition

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Brand Recognition

So here goes…

Neither my girlfriend nor I are people that particularly chase status. However, she (and by extension, I) sometimes end up in social situations where recognizable brands are mentioned, discussed, or shown off. Recently, we were in a setting where Rolexes, Omegas, LV, and Leica were all on display. As a reference, this was a social setting where there were consultants and finance folks in attendance.

As much as I appreciate sturdiness of the VSA I was wearing that day, or the casework on my Archimede, or the blued hands and silvered dial on my Stowa, none of those brands were in the ballpark in that crowd. I’d like to shrug it off, but it’s got me looking for something that ‘fits in’ with that situation.

So my first question: am I just crazy and insecure? Tell me that I am, and I can go back to justifying (to myself) the Seiko SARX017, Archimede Sporttaucher, and Stowa Flieger that I had my eyes on…

Thanks for everybody's thoughts in advance.
    dsbe90 likes this.
    Movado Safiro (2006), TAG Heuer Kirium (2007), VSA Summit XLT (2010), Hamilton Khaki Field (2012), Hamilton Khaki Scuba (2012), Archimede Pilot 42W (2013), Stowa Antea 390 (2013), Seiko SARX015 (2015), Halios Seaforth v1 (2017), Seiko SARB017 Alpinist (2017), Sinn 556i Blue (2018)

Re: Brand Recognition

My guess is, you're the only person to notice this. Us WIS will notice what watches people are wearing but 99% of the population don't. People are more likely to judge you on your clothes or shoes than your watch.
    Will_f, sirgilbert357 and dsbe90 like this.

CSG

My feeling is that if you're in business (mine was investments) you dress appropriately to the role. In my world, in my time, if you didn't wear a Rolex, preferably all gold, you weren't *dressed for success*. It's too bad that this sort of thing is what makes first impressions but that's the reality. FWIW, I love my Archimede 39H Pilot and am wearing it currently. But on a recent vacation, I strapped on a Rolex GMT II because it's recognizable and people notice. In certain places and circles, the brand gets you better service because of the way you're viewed by others.

So, bottom line, in certain circles, this stuff matters and if you move in those circles you'll want to dress like you belong and that includes your watch. Once you're successful enough you can go back to wearing a less recognizable brand.
    Last edited by CSG; June 25th, 2014 at 09:58.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I actually am factoring this in for my next watch purchase. I am still new to this game and am looking for something in the $1000 range which is a big jump for me. If I'm going to spend that much on a watch I want to "show it off" and want people to ask me about it. I don't think it necessarily has to be one of the most popular brands but if I get a German, like I'm aiming for, I want it to "pop" a bit so I can school some folks on what they're missing at least. :)
    Last edited by weigojmi; June 24th, 2014 at 22:32.

I'm in sales so I see a lot of Rolex's. Its sort of turned me off the brand a bit despite the fact they make great sport watches. It's like they've become part of the sales/investment/banker uniform. But i'm sure this is just an issue for me, because like I said, I don't think most people really care what watch you're wearing as long as you're good at what you do.
    Last edited by WatchNRolla; June 24th, 2014 at 22:37.

Most people automatically go to Rolex, Omega, etc. as their default higher end watches because they're not WIS and that's all they know. Not to disparage those brands at all but a WIS is aware of far more incredible and interesting brands and maybe this is your chance to teach them something new. I'll wear my Sinns all day before I jump to one of the "common" brands.

Wear your watches with pride. Get one of the ones you mention. They're great brands that you should wear proudly.
    Docrwm, Deledda, Dave0944 and 3 others like this.
    - Jason

Of coarse, that's why your a member of this forum.

It depends on the event. I've been to both events where it literally is just a meet and greet and some where we were obviously networking. In those situations you are better off wearing a well known brand. Go for Omega, Cartier, Rolex, IWC, or, if you can pull it off, Patek. Like was mentioned above, you sometimes need to dress for success and in some circles there is a price for entry. That's just the reality of it. And a watch is a man's only piece of jewelry to flaunt. If you don't need to attract the attention of the crowd, then wear what you want. Who knows, it may even be fun to discuss. But if you need to hobnob, then you're better off with a famous brand. And not a famous brand here. But a famous brand.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

Do what I do and hang out with low-grade people. That way, they are paranoid that their watch lives up to your standards.

<<joke>>

I prefer to play as a connoisseur... If I would be in such environment rather than taking a rolex to the party I would be sporting a Glasshute Original, Blancpain or something around those lines if you get me
    Donf and anaplian like this.

My Blog http://www.horologiaprima.com
    One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art! (O.Wilde)

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information