Brand servicability
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Brand servicability

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Brand servicability

For some time I've been eyeing the Nomos Club. However, the idea of having to send it back to Germany for a service is off-putting.

I'm rather new to the watch world and have two questions: are there other watch brands that are difficult to have serviced by a local watchmaker (vs manufacturer)? Secondly, in general do you let this impact a watch purchase?

Re: Brand servicability

Hi Neato, I have the Nomos Tangente 35 mm. It keeps such accurate time and I like it so much that tomorrow I go back to Bangkok where I bought this and buy the Nomos Club 36 mm.
    As far as servicing, I'll take it to my local watchmaker that services all brands. This is where I take my Rolex's.
    My sugestion is to buy the watch you want and have it serviced locally. But, I'll tell you, it might not need anything until just a normal cleaning in 5 years, witch Nomos recommends.

I'm thinking the more complicated the watch, the harder it would be to find someone locally who would be acceptable (a very general statement, btw). That said, the serviceability issue never arises at all when I'm considering purchases. The only issues that matter are whether I like the look of the watch enough and if I can afford it. If yes to those 2 questions, done deal, servicing is dealt with if/when . . .
    Domo and Ard like this.
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

you can service it locally but I kind of like the idea of the people who made the watch giving it a full scrub and polishing for not so much money :D
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

In some cases a manufacturer service does not need the watch to be shipped back to the country of manufacturer, however the more complex it is the greater the likelihood. My Sinn UX has an oil filed case and this has to go back to Germany, as they only have the equipment to allow them to empty and refill them there. Do you really care about the location though, as what it really comes down to is cost of service and how long it takes.

It depends on what do you mean by service? A re-lubrication and testing/replacement of seals on a quartz watch is one thing, a complete dis-assembly of the movement and replacement of worn parts on an automatic is something else. If the movement is an in house one then a 3rd party will struggle getting spare parts in many cases. You would always be able to find somebody willing to service your watch, but the question has to be do you trust them to do the work?

Do you plan to re-sell the watch as speaking for myself I would want to see official services, as otherwise you are buying something if unknown provenance.

Yes, it's put me off from buying a Grand Seiko several times now. Almost all my watches come with inhouse movements, and I was well aware of the consequences when I bought them.

in the future, most of your ETA-based watches will be difficult to nearly impossible to service without sending it to Swatch group service center and I'm pretty sure they won't service it if it's not one of their brands. This does impact my purchase decision as I always check first what movement brand is inside my watch. say, if I buy an IWC or a Breitling right now, which mostly has an ETA inside, I'm highly concerned with their serviceability of it 10 - 15 years down the road as I'm not much of a flipper with the higher-end brands. sure, they can get the parts now or maybe 2 - 3 years from now, but 10 years from now most of them have probably moved on to Sellita or Soprod, and what does that left me? an expensive, un-servicable wrist bracelet basically.

also regarding parts interchangeability between ETA and Sellita. sure, some of the parts are interchangeable. SOME. not all. I'm pretty sure with ETA limiting supply and closing off parts supply to anyone outside of their service centers in 2016 will urge some companies to create aftermarket parts for ETA. sure, they can be used to fix my non-swatch-group, eta-based watch as well, but what does that left me? IMO that'd be a franken-watch. sorta like that Mayer-Bob Maron Rolex case.

so long story short, I don't buy watches anymore from non-swatch-group companies who still uses ETA in their watches.

You seriously think it will be that bad? In the case say of Breitling, they service their own ETA based watches now and so all they need is parts from Swatch. I would expect them to look to have sufficient parts to allow them to continue to do this, for the expected lifetime of their watches. At some point in time parts start to become an issue for most watches if they are not used in movements still being fitted in new watches.

If you look at in house movements you still only get a limited lifetime, for example Omega I think guarantees 20 years after the movement ceases to be used.

Quote Originally Posted by NeatoNato View Post
    For some time I've been eyeing the Nomos Club. However, the idea of having to send it back to Germany for a service is off-putting.

I'm rather new to the watch world and have two questions: are there other watch brands that are difficult to have serviced by a local watchmaker (vs manufacturer)? Secondly, in general do you let this impact a watch purchase?
    Nomos will sell parts to independent watchmakers. I confirmed this with them when I bought a Nomos for myself and my wife so I know I can service them myself when the time comes (I'm a watchmaker).

Cheers, Al
    rfortson and mebiuspower like this.

in the future, most of your ETA-based watches will be difficult to nearly impossible to service without sending it to Swatch group service center
    In the year 3000 maybe. There are enough movements out there to provide spare parts until then.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information