Breakin Price Barriers
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Breakin Price Barriers

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Breakin Price Barriers

Hello watch nutters, I have been into watches for a while now and I have been noticing a trend in spending and a comfort level or should I say a discomfort level moving into different tiers of watch buying. I have noticed that the current collection (loose term) has seemed to move into a certain price level or range, its not that I don't enjoy lower end watches but after running the gambit of starter or mid tier watches the level and prices has crept up.

I have a couple new watch wants and the price is going to take me north of 10k (not an issue for some) and it kind of feels like a milestone spending hurdle. When I was first starting out, I was buying sub 500$ watches from local stores thinking I moved into some nice watches but then I stumbled upon watch forums and man were my eyes opened. The sheer volume of choices from lower, mid, micros and higher end watches, it was like sheer overload. Then it really started to get fun going through and trying out different brands especially the micros. The first time I broke the 1k mark I had to think about it for a while and changed my mind a few times before finally pulling the trigger but some thing happened, I suddenly became comfortable in that range of 800-1400$. After going through a bunch in that range and discovering online selling (not for profit but recovery of funds), I made my first above 3K purchase after thinking I would not ever spend that much. Then the dabbling in the 2500-3500 range kind of became the norm and I was completely comfortable with spending that amount.

Well the watches really started to accumulate and before I realized it I had a 32 Pelican watch case full and a 6 watch box on the dresser also full. I came to the realization that I had too many for me and I was thinking consolidate and moving into the next level of watch with the theory of less is more. At this time I was well versed in what sizes and dimensions I preferred and essentially was going after some keeper type watches that I thought I would never spend that kind of money on but I absolutely loved the styling. The watch purge started and the money was building up and I was ready to go after something more expensive

The first 5k+ purchase was a big deal and I thought about it for a while searched and looked for the right fit, thinking keeper. After the purchase was made and the purge was almost complete, selling all my micros and mid range watches with only 1 surviving my Tag SLR (my do anything Quartz). It then seemed like the 5K+ was no big deal and I moved onward and bought 3 more in that range a GS, Rolex and a Zenith all new. I am now using a 10 watch, watch box and they have to all fit in there or I have to get rid of 1 (I don't count beater watches in this equation because I love the Sub 500 category for getting that real inexpensive gem). I have 2 empty spots in the watch box and I was looking at a couple watches that will take me north of 10k

I have been sitting on the funds for a while now and have come close to pulling the trigger a couple times but I have stumbled going over this mark, for a couple reasons I believe.
    1) its a big decision and
    2) I am worried about getting comfortable in the next level of spending.

Each time I have spent more than I thought I would have when I started, I end up getting comfortable with that range. I am not saying that I will only buy above that from now on but it just seems to get comfortable after breaking it for the first time.

I was wondering if others have experienced this and did you eventually hit your ceiling, where you said that's it. I wont or cant go any higher, or do you kind of start feeling like its only a little more cash I can stretch it. What ever your level of spending is have you hit your ceiling of comfort or is it just a matter of time before you push on?
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."

-WC

Re: Breakin Price Barriers

I recall when $100 was a "price barrier", never thought at the time I would ever break it.
    Ugly-Nugget likes this.

I hit my ceiling at $500-1,500 (priciest watch bought was for my partner, ~$1,500) and I've stopped buying, not because I couldn't go further up price range (I could), but because there's no limit to going further up into crazy price range (crazy for me, IMO). e.g. If I hit $10k, there's no stopping me in being tempted by $20k (It's just a bit more) or $50k (Some people spend that on a car! Why not a watch?). If I need to stop at some point, might as well stop now.

Once I started thinking of watches as more like tools rather than jewelry (where function matters more than aesthetics), I stop, because there's no point in buying more if I have more than I need for time telling.
    Last edited by rdoder; July 7th, 2016 at 20:16.
    Ugly-Nugget, Colombia and lgh0525 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

When I got started a couple of years ago, $5k was my max limit. I simply couldn't see myself spending more than that.

Now it is around the $10k mark - mentally, I struggle with bringing myself to spend more than this.

Which puts me in a conundrum. One of the watches I really want is a Nautilus. I have spent Nautilus money on watches in the past year. But I cannot bring myself to spend that much on a single watch - hell, I cannot even get myself to pull the trigger on a RO.

An interesting side effect of scope creep to the $10k mark is that I find the $3-5k category unsatisfying. Watches in this range aren't cheap enough to be worn as beaters, but also lacking a little in terms of appeal, compared to my more expensive watches. A part of me is worried that if I do end up buying a $20k watch, I am going to want to upgrade my entire collection. That I cannot afford to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Core: ALS 1815 Up/Down, AP RO, Breguet Marine, Blancpain FF MilSpec, JLC Master Geo, GO Panomatic, Rolex BLRO, Panerai 688, Rolex Exp2 polar, Cartier Santos XL ADLC, Zenith El Primero tricolor, [Empty Slot]
    Secondary: Oris Brashear chrono, Oris 65/42 green, Oris 65/40mm, Oris 65 bronze, Rado Capt Cook LE, Seiko Prospex Padi, Doxa 1200T Pro
    Others
    :Tissot T-Touch Expert, Swatch S51, Seagull 1963, Sturmanskie Yuri Gagarin, Fortis Marine Master, G-Shock GMW-B500
    FS: Seiko Orange Monster Gen2, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard, Squale Milsub
    Gone: Tudor Chrono Heritage, Hamilton Khaki Field, B&R03-92, Seiko SKX007, Orient Sun&Moon, Seagull M172S, Rado Vintage Diver, Hamilton Pan Europ, Orient Mako, Meistersinger Pangaea, IWC Aquatimer, PAM 24, JR Aquascope, Tudor BB Black, Longines Legend Diver, PAM 241, Bernhardt Anchor3, WUS GMT watch, Damasko DB2, Helson Shark Diver, Seiko 5, Ventus Mori Brass, Glycine Airman, Eterna Kon-Tiki, Zelos Gallant, Sinn 103 A sa B, Oris 65/42 blue

I started out with a Rolex but realised what stunning value affordables were and now I have problems getting past about $1K in my mind.

Most expensive purchase was my Avenger II Seawolf, which i got an amazing deal on, right now i could never spend more than maybe $3500 on a watch, there are a few i want around that price, but im not purchasing any watches, let alone one that expensive for a long time.

Whenever i can buy another watch or a few, they will be much cheaper watches.

Lol, my threshold of pain was about 300 USD when I started collecting ... 1K was a barrier it took me a long time to get past. I personally can't see myself spending that kind of coin on a watch but certainly enjoy living vicariously through those that do ;) .
    Ugly-Nugget likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
    An interesting side effect of scope creep to the $10k mark is that I find the $3-5k category unsatisfying. Watches in this range aren't cheap enough to be worn as beaters, but also lacking a little in terms of appeal, compared to my more expensive watches. A part of me is worried that if I do end up buying a $20k watch, I am going to want to upgrade my entire collection. That I cannot afford to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I hear you on this point, the closer I have got to hitting the 10K mark the mid tier watches that a guy once sharpened his teeth on seem to have less appeal to me now. I know its only marginal improvements on finish and movement but I also don't know what would stop me if I keep going.

The watch that is causing me this internal struggle is the VC Overseas Chrono with the White/Silver Textured dial.
    Last edited by Ugly-Nugget; July 7th, 2016 at 21:55.
    NeedAG and pook187 like this.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."

-WC

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    I started out with a Rolex but realised what stunning value affordables were and now I have problems getting past about $1K in my mind.
    Yes one of my favorite areas is that 300-1000 range. Some of the offerings from the Micros are superb but I have sworn my self off the micro market. There is something to be said about getting that great bang for the buck watch at 300$. I still buy, trade and sell in sub 1000. very low risk and a lot of fun.

-WC

Initially I had a hard time thinking that a watch was worth any more than $500 max (actually remember voicing that to my wife) but that went out the door the more I experimented with various models and brands, if that sounds familiar in any way. One of the good things that has come from that, though, is a very specific definition of what I like and I doubt that would've happened any other way. Another positive from the experience is that I can unequivocally say no watch is worth more than $40K to me unless somehow a whole bunch of money drops into my lap. And even if, there's not much I see out there that would call as forcefully as in the past. I might just be getting to a point of contentment, yes!!!!
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information