WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Breitling just too busy?

7K views 83 replies 61 participants last post by  wuyeah 
#1 ·
Every time I look at Breitling (about 90% of their watches), I don't like the designs - I think they're too busy. It gives me a headache to even try to read them.

I wonder if I'm the only one?

#5 ·
Do the members at WUS exclusively post Navitimer photos then? I'm commenting as to EVERY Breitling watch I've seen here at WUS. If the folks here only post Navitimers, then I guess that's what I think is too busy.

#12 ·
The Superocean Heritage 42 (non-chronograph) is an appealing design, as would be the Transocean Day & Date if it was date-only. IMHO the latter is a good example of how Breitling tends to add an extra element of clutter that detracts from an otherwise good design.

Reactions: Ticonderoga
#39 · (Edited)
I agree on both counts.

The Transocean Date was the model that finally enticed me to buy a Breitling, followed later by a Superocean Heritage. Nothing else in their lineup appeals to me other than the Transocean chrono, but I find it too similar in style to my Speedy Pro to justify adding it to the collection. It's a shame they messed up the design of the Transocean Date less than a year after its introduction by adding the day complication and ruining what was a timeless, clean design... I guess they just couldn't help themselves. Here's the original version of the contemporary Transocean (the vintage Transocean is a stunner, too).

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Blue

#17 ·
My opinion is that Breitling like Hublot is more like a "Marmite" watch manufacturer.
Although Breitling has some nice looking models. I am not a fan. Every watchbrands have hits and a couple of misses, even Rolex.(Yachmaster II)

#44 ·
#22 ·
Generally not a fan either. When I was younger, I liked the navitimer, but not much since I passed 30 years old. There is a design element that I find just overdone. Even many of their simpler models have overly large arabic numbers.

Reactions: Ticonderoga
#25 ·
Exactly what I'm talking about, waaaay too busy.

#28 ·
Whatever it is Breitling have made a good living selling busy dialled watches with polished cases so I suppose you could say they found their niche.
I personally really like their Transoceans and their Superocean Heritage, rarely mentioned but IMHO equivalent or better than some forum favourites from Tudor and Omega.

#31 ·
That is my general take on Breitling's offerings as well. In fact, when I got my Transocean, posted earlier in this thread, I was not planning to look at the Breitling case at all. My wife looked in it and called my attention to the Transocean. I am glad she did. I would never, in a million years, have thought modern Breitling would have made a watch so different in character than most of its offerings, but they did and it was worth a look.

#33 ·
Breitling is the brand that got me into watches but I do agree that their designs are an acquired taste. I also think that the designs also went a bit odd 5-7 years ago but are now starting to get back on form - see the Transoceanic range and the Chronomat Airborne.

I love them because they are robust, high quality sports watches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.