Breitling Navitimer 01 Limited vs Rolex Daytona SS
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Breitling Navitimer 01 Limited vs Rolex Daytona SS

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Breitling Navitimer 01 Limited vs Rolex Daytona SS

Breitling Navitimer 01 Limited 2000, SS Bracelet
    Rolex Daytona Stainless Steel Black/White Face

Both these watches are available for nearly the same price brand new at my AD. I'm leaning towards the Breitling because I find that the Breitling suits me more as a 22 year old who wishes to use the watch as a go-out watch, weekender, or when meeting with clients. This is just personal, but physically, i find the rolex is less masculine, and Brand-wise, I feel that it's too showy, sort of like, something a businessman buys when he finally succeeds in life financially. Whereas the breitling gives me a young and edgy look while still retaining some classic elegance. However, my dad is going to give this to me as a gift and he is hinting towards the rolex because
    1. they say rolexes hold more resale value.
    2. generally people are more "wow" to you when you got a rolex compared to a breitling.

Can any expert here give me an in depth explanation as to which watch i should get and why? do touch and explain the resale things. I want to be able to explain to my father about it so I can lean towards Breitling, but I'd also like to know if the truth is, the rolex is really the better choice. and maybe i could change my mind. thanks! and guys dont start arguing because of this, just please help me with my own dilemma by giving info. :)

hey, ive uploaded pictures of both watches on my wrist! what do you guys think? :D

Last edited by leevanlee; December 6th, 2011 at 10:23.

Re: Breitling Navitimer 01 Limited vs Rolex Daytona SS

Is "wow" a major concern?

Ultimately it comes down to which you like the most. They both have their pros and cons (for lack of a better word).

Rolex owners buy Rolexes because they love them. Choose the one you love and in the end that is what really matters. Best of luck on your purchase::cheers::

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Either your dealer is giving you a tremendous deal on the Rolex or is trying to rip you off on the Navitimer. There should be over a 20% price differential between the two with the Breitling rightfully being the less expensive.

In this price range (assuming the dealer is pricing at the Daytona retail) there are better choices in my opinion. The Jaeger LeCoultre Master Control or Master Compressor or Master Compressor Extreme, the IWC DaVinci, Parmigiani Kalpagraph, Breguet Transatantlque XXI, Vacheron Constantin Overseas, Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore.

The Rolex has great resale because the vast majority of the public thinks Rolex produces the best watches in the world, so there is allot of demand.
    CitizenM and Techniec like this.

Don't see any of them as high-end
    but agree with the others buy the one that makes you smile the most.
    28 years more then 50 patents
    Yoshikazu Akahane

well my father's main reason for insisting the daytona is that he believes it and truly brand-wise rolex relates more to prestige and class relative to Breitlings masculine tool image, and of course the slower value lost issue.
    However, i've recently read that the once hard to get Daytona SS is pretty much available everywhere now. which is quite true since i live all the way in the Philippines and every AD here has a daytona displayed in both black and white! so i find it hard to believe the month long wait lists in america and even some in europe! can anyone shed some light on this? is the daytona SS losing it's rarity that was once the reason for holding its value?

Banned

Yes, Daytona is losing it's rarity which is good. Finally, it won't be the domain anymore of pitiable would-bes and posers. Yikes! It's a great watch but has been ruined by the negative connotations that came with the majority of its wearers (night club bouncers, pimps, shady real estate agents and the likes).

One thing that is important about the Daytona to note is that it does NOT have a date. On a go-out watch that is forgivable but not on an everyday watch, IMO.

Your reasoning of Navitimer vs. Daytona is spot-on and very well-informed, I'd say. Good job.

As far as movements go, they are about in the same league with the Daytona 4130 perhaps a tad ahead of the B-01. OTOH, a German watch magazine measured a B-01 (they pick them up randomly at an AD) and it was the most accurate watch they ever measured. They were totally awestruck. Both are among the top chrono movements available on the market today.

Your father is right about value retention and prestige on the Rolex. But it is just a very common and pedestrian choice for kids of well-heeled folks. I'd rather set myself apart with a more discerning taste and I think that's also your argument for the Navitimer. And if you as a 22yo meet with clients and wear one of the most coveted Rolex watches, I am not so sure if that's gonna go over real swell. :)

The new Omega Speedmaster with 9300 movement is also gorgeous but the case geometry is badly screwed up. It doesn't sit well on the wrist, too high. Still it's a real contender.

If you are looking in the USD12k price class the Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chrono is a go-to choice. Not terribly original but ten times better in this area than a Daytona, though I'd prefer the 4130 movement of the Rolex.

But did you consider the Breguet Type XXI Flyback?
    Name:  3810st.92.sz9_main.jpg
Views: 3786
Size:  72.7 KB
    USD 10k and a really nice watch that you won't see on another dude's wrist. This one also has the retro look and aviation connection of the Navitimer and it dresses up nicely on a leather strap.

Otherwise, maybe instead of a Chronograph get a great three-hand. Would you use the chrono anyway? Or do you just like the look? I always find that if one doesn't use the chrono, paying this much more just for the look and then also twice as much for maintenance is not a wise placement of money. I'd then encourage you to look into a Rolex Yachtmaster, an AP Royal Oak 15300 and a VC Overseas (sans chrono).

Quote Originally Posted by Watchalex View Post
    Yes, Daytona is losing it's rarity which is good. Finally, it won't be the domain anymore of pitiable would-bes and posers. Yikes! It's a great watch but has been ruined by the negative connotations that came with the majority of its wearers (night club bouncers, pimps, shady real estate agents and the likes).

One thing that is important about the Daytona to note is that it does NOT have a date. On a go-out watch that is forgivable but not on an everyday watch, IMO.

Your reasoning of Navitimer vs. Daytona is spot-on and very well-informed, I'd say. Good job.
    Thank you sir, I actually just want a chrono because of its sporty look, aside from probably playing with it from time to time. so my choice of watch would really have a chrono. As of now im just researching and looking for hard facts about the daytona not being rare anymore, to finally convince me for the navi. the breguet looks good but i just find it a tad too modern+formal, i guess ill take a look again at the local ADs for breguets and VCs. Im starting to think the common person would wow me for having a rolex but watch enthusiasts may actually compliment me for a great choice on the Navitimer Limited. just my 2c

I should have been born rich instead of handsome....
    Watchalex and CitizenM like this.

This decision is actually easier than it seems. When spending this type of money, or your father spending it as a gift, you must be completely sure that you like the gift, and you are not in love with the idea of the Rolex, no matter how much your father wants that watch for you. You want the Breitling. The Breitling is an excellent watch and is certainly more age appropriate than the Rolex. You feel you are not ready for a Rolex, and at 22, that might indeed be the case. You have plenty of years ahead of you to aquire a Rolex. If you don't feel comfortable wearing the watch, it will be a waste of your father's money.

As for the VC and Breuget, these are watch enthusiast brands, and if you think you are going to be getting compliments, think again. The odds that you run into a watch enthusiast are extremelyyy rare - once in a blue moon, if you're lucky. So you are basically going to pay thousands of dollars for a watch that the majority of people will not know anything about, therefore will not attract any attention. It is good to get into these more obscure brands after you obtain a more known brand, such as a Rolex, but that's just my opinion. And let's face it, you do want a little attention from your higher end watch..

Your father may mean well, he is buying you a very expensive piece, and taking into account resale blah blah, but needs to take what you want into account as well too. I would go with the Breitling.
    Watchalex likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information