Breitling Navitimer World vs IWC Portuguese Chronograph

Thread: Breitling Navitimer World vs IWC Portuguese Chronograph

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Breitling Navitimer World vs IWC Portuguese Chronograph

Hi guys,

I'll be in the market for a new watch soon and I'm slightly torn on the above two watches. I went into a dealer to look at a Navi World and she also showed me the Portuguese Chrono with the black face too. I loved it instantly and unfortunately now I'm torn. I believe both pieces use the same ETA movement, please correct me if I'm wrong.

The World retails for $8,200

The Portuguese retails for $9,500

I'm after your opinions. Which would you take?

Last edited by Redemption; November 22nd, 2010 at 23:12.
    Tag Heuer Carrera
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean
    IWC Portuguese 7 Days
    Panerai Luminor Marina 312
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Ultra Thin Moon 39

Banned

Re: Breitling Navitimer World vs IWC Portuguese Chronograph

Dunno, but I wouldn't pay anything like that much for either of those watches. Just get whichever one shows up first in good conditions on the forums.

Banned

I like Breitlings, but that model has one too much complication, the GMT hand. It is an already visually "fully loaded" watch, and the GMT function tips the scale.
    I have never owned an IWC, I am not fond of the utilitarian look and price ratio.

If you like the IWC, have a look on the new Stowa Chrono. Better looking, possibly equal quality (OK, not as nice movement) at a super price.

If you like the Breitling, look on the standard Navitimer.

IMHO, of course you should get what you like best!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

v76

I'd get this for a third of that price ...

(borrowed image)

It's a Seiko SAGK003 Brightz Phoenix. Else, a Zenith El Primero 36,000vph.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

In that price range I would consider an upgrade to the Daytona.
    Out of these two definitely the IWC, one of the prettiest watches ever made

I generally resist the temptation to respond in some cynical way to these sorts of questions, but these watches are about as different as two chronographs can be. The Breitling, like all Breitlings, is heavy on the bling. The IWC, like all IWC Portuguese models, is heavy on elegant. It's like deciding whether you want a Lamborghini or a Astin Martin; two completely different animals.

As to the "same movement," the IWC's movement is, nominally, a 7750, but it's heavily modified to IWC's specifications. Don't know if the Breitling is, but if the Breitling is COSC certified, it at least is probably the top shelf version of the 7750.

If you have that much money burning a hole in your pocket, buy the one that sings to you; they are so very different, it seems unlikely to me that both would sing equally to anyone (if you love one, it is unlikely that you would love the other).
    Mark
    ---------------------------
    Seiko Spring Drive Chronograph SPS003
    Oris TT1 Titan Diver Chronograph 1000M

IWC Portuguese Chronograph 3714-01
    Grand Seiko Spring Drive GMT SBGE001

I agree that they are two very different styles so the question is, to me, sort of strange.
    However I'll offer my opinion. I generally don't go for Breitling as I find them far too busy. I much prefer the simple elegance of the IWC.
    Praise without end for the go ahead zeal
    Of whoever it was invented the wheel;
    But never a word for the poor soul's sake
    That thought ahead, and invented the brake

Banned

Both nice watches, both incredibly overpriced. The IWC even more so. Afaik, they both use variants of the 7750. The B adds a function and takes one away, the IWC takes three functions away: day, date, 12h counter. A chronograph in my eyes is a "functional" watch for a sporty purpose. Where else would you need to-the-second time measuring and reading?

I'm thus critical of elegant chronos and prefer chronos that really fulfill their function but I'm a purist at heart.

For the same price you get a manufacture movement in a Zenith or even a Blancpain or Breguet which even rank higher in terms of prestige, IMHO. In all of those you might even get a Flyback as an additional complication. They go for around $7000 grey.

I'd also wait for the new 9xxx movement that Omega will bring out in April I guess. In-house chrono with co-axial and double barrel. Should be in the 6-8k range thus cheaper than those you have in mind. In the same range is the new Breitling B-01 in-house, which has received seriously good reviews. I've handled it myself and think about buying one. It is much nicer in reality than on the pictures. I was very critical before because of the square on the dial and the strange font on the bezel but the real thing looks good. For $9.5k you can get a two-tone B-01. That's bling for you if you like it and it has the nicer movement.

If you like the Chrono plus GMT function, Omega has that in a 33xx series movement with column wheel and co-axial in the Broadarrow Speedy and the Aquaterra Chrono GMT around $6k. Also both more serious watches than those two.

For less money than that you can also get JLC chronos in round or rectangular form factors.

Or terrific Grand Seiko chronos ...

So, are those two nice watches? No doubt. Are there options that offer better movements and more prestige with at least equal finish but for even less money? Also no doubt.

It's your money and you should spend it so it pleases you most. If it was me, I wouldn't even consider these two at that price, perhaps for half the price but only perhaps.

Apples v pears.

I love Breitlings, and while I like IWC, I don't personally get the over-the-top admiration they receive here. But in this case, the Navitimer World is just too busy for me. There's way too much going on on the dial. Now the IWC, on the other hand--it's got a stark simplicity that appeals. Reminds me of one of my recent favorites, the Omega Speedmaster Professional.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information