Breitling, Omega, Longines, etc...Pros and cons?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Breitling, Omega, Longines, etc...Pros and cons?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Breitling, Omega, Longines, etc...Pros and cons?

Alright,
    Over the past few days I have been going back and forth between many different watches, and I feel like I have finally narrowed it down some more.

I'm torn between several watches right now, let me explain what i'm looking for.

First off, It's most important for me to truly like the watch, and not just get it because others like it - of course.

This go around, I want to pick up a really classy watch, something to wear for nice occasions, not as a daily.

The third important characteristic is that its 40-44mm.

The fourth most important thing is that it's an auto (i'd consider a quartz, but it'd have to be very, very nice).

I'm doing all this, and trying to keep a budget of around $1000 or less.

I have always loved Breitlings, but the only one that would fit within my budget would be a used Colt - I really like these. The only downside is that they're 38mm, correct?

Another choice would be an Omega, these watches have a great name, they're classy, and very nice - just like Breitlings. If I went with Omega, the only affordable used watch would be a Seamaster - which I also love. The only reason i'd chose it over the Colt would be because it is 41mm, not 38mm.

The other option would be to go with a Longines Hydroconquest Auto 41mm. The upside to this watch, over the others, is I could have it new for less than $1000. However, how classy is a Longines? Do Longines carry the same name as a Breitling or Omega or is it grouped with the lower-end of nice watches? I just haven't heard much about them till I started research and came upon them - great looking watches, the Hydroconquest looks incredible for the price!

Synopsis:
    Breitling Colt - 38mm, $$$, classy (and my favorite watch company)
    Omega Seamaster - 41mm, $$$, classy
    Longines Hydroconquest - 41mm, $$, classy ?

Below are the three watches i'm considering. Please feel free to add to my options, these are not the only three I want.

Re: Breitling, Omega, Longines, etc...Pros and cons?

First, the Colt Auto II is 41.5 ....the older version was smaller.
    I own both, that Omega & Breitling and clearly say they are a step above the Longines... not to say it isn't a nice watch, and less than half the price of those two. In person, the Longines wears similarly to the Omega.
    If you want a bit flashier watch, go with the Colt ... if you want a bit more reserved then go with the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul December View Post
    I own both, that Omega & Breitling and clearly say they are a step above the Longines... not to say it isn't a nice watch, and less than half the price of those two. In person, the Longines wears similarly to the Omega.
    If you want a bit flashier watch, go with the Colt ... if you want a bit more reserved then go with the other two.
    +1 on everything you said.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Paul December View Post
    Thanks for the info!

I know the Colt II is larger (41.5) but that also comes with a pretty big price difference I think. The 38mm Colts can be had used for ~$700-900. The Colt IIs I think are well above $1000 even used, correct? That's the only drawback.

they are all good choices. Think of an omega and breitling a step up from a longines, but in no way is longines a low end brand. If price is your factor and you want to be the first owner and have the warranty from the AD, go for the Longines! I have a seamaster and a superocean and I find that I still like to wear my seiko monster on most days.

Quote Originally Posted by CMSpruill View Post
    The Colt IIs I think are well above $1000 even used, correct? .
    Ive seen some go for just a bit over $1000...maybe something like $1100-1200.. If thats what you want, just be patient.

you can find a used omega 41mm seamaster in quartz for well under 1k on the sales forums. you won't see the breitling unless someone is wanting to unload a old one. the longines is also a fine watch. but of the 3, the omega carries more weight for brand recognition. also you can find a omega 2254.80 or a 2255.80 at the 1k range in used condition. its still a seamaster, just different hands and indices. that being said, there are other watches with the build quality of these 3 that haven't been mentioned. also you excluded a hand wound mechanical. you say this is for special occasions. may as well get the best one for your money. good luck with your choices. in case you were wondering though, you can get the seamaster new from an ad for 1425.00 new shipped to your door.

Breitling IMO

I agree with the above statements that the Omega and the Breitling are a step above the Longines, but the Longines is still a fantastic watch. I was in the same position you were and my budget was $1000. I originally wanted a Seamaster, but got a great deal on the Longines Hydroconquest and was able to pick up a TSAR as well. I'm very happy with the Longines and find that it looks very dressy with the polished hands and center links on the bracelet. It is not a watch that I would wear every day even though some would say it is a sport watch. I'm happy with my choice and don't regret not getting the Omega, but if you think you would be more happy with it or the Breitling I say save up just a little bit more and go for which ever one speaks to you more.

Current Collection:
    Rolex Sea-dweller 116600
    Omega Seamaster
    Hamilton Khaki Field
    Seiko SKX007, SRP779, SBBN033
    Scurfa MS18, DS-1
    Seiko Chrono
    Casio GMW5000, DW6900, GW6900, DW2900, DW5600

Instagram: _smalls83

All the watches you mention are solid nice choices. My choice would be the Omega out of those but as you said, it what you like.

That said, you mentioned classy and that you wanted a dress watch. Certainly all of those watches would dress up (or down) perfectly and their heritage carries more than enough class to cover that issue, however, if your looking for a classy dress watch I would suggest a few others like a Tag Heuer Carerra or Longines Heritage Conquest as I would consider those you mentioned more sport watches than dress watches. Just suggesting these based on your point #2. That said those I mentioned are usually hover around the 40mm mark and will hurt point #3.

Just enjoy whatever you pick, your the one who's gonna wear it. I would never buy some of the watches other people do and I'm sure the same applies to my collection.
    Collection:

*Tag Heuer Carrera Automatic Twin Time (WV2115)
    *Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra (2503.33.00)
    *Vintage 1956 Junghans Chronometer Cal. 82/1 (682.73)

*Sunnto Core Lava Red Positive Dial (SS016788000
    )
    *Casio Super Illuminator (MDV102-7a)
    *Vintage 1983 Seiko SQ (6923-7009)

*Jaeger-LeCoultre Atmos Cal 528-8 Mantle Clock

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information