Breitling vs Tag heuer - Page 5
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Breitling vs Tag heuer

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Breitling vs Tag heuer

I wouldn't judge brands and would evaluate the models on an individual basis.

Both these watches are very different in style, the OP then asked about a Rolex GMT Master II. In other words he was looking for an 'expensive watch to rule all watches'. Not surprisingly, he only posted twice with no pictures for us to enjoy.

If you are serious about a watch, you will know what you are looking for and brand image will become less relevant.
    Certina DS First Automatic, Tag Heuer 500m Aquaracer

Tag Day/Date and it's not even close. Plus, you can save about $1000 between the Day Date and the Navitimer if purchasing used.

Omega Planet Ocean 2500C
    Christopher Ward C60 Trident
    Oris Aquis

Breitling. However, I suggest you go with the Transocean chronograph w/ the new B01 in-house movement. The Navitimer is very busy and I just don't think as good looking as the Transocean. As well, the Transocean is more discrete and tasteful. I think if you're going for a chronograph, the simple 60s looking Transocean will be a better bet. As well, the Transocean isn't as common as the Navitimer, so I think, especially if you get the limited edition with the transparent caseback, it will hold its value better.

Here's a link to the Prodigal Guide Talking Hands review of the Breitling Transocean chrono: Talking Hands on the Breitling Transocean Chronograph - YouTube

I would go with a black face and leather strap.
    Name:  transocean_full2_lg.jpg
Views: 2643
Size:  66.6 KB

Name:  breitling-transocean-chronograph-limited-edition_1.jpg
Views: 2389
Size:  91.1 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've never cared much for Breitlings busy dials and thought they were overpriced. I'd go with the Tag myself.

[QUOTE=jb68902;4819145]Breitling. However, I suggest you go with the Transocean chronograph w/ the new B01 in-house movement. The Navitimer is very busy and I just don't think as good looking as the Transocean. As well, the Transocean is more discrete and tasteful. I think if you're going for a chronograph, the simple 60s looking Transocean will be a better bet. As well, the Transocean isn't as common as the Navitimer, so I think, especially if you get the limited edition with the transparent caseback, it will hold its value better.

Here's a link to the Prodigal Guide Talking Hands review of the Breitling Transocean chrono: Talking Hands on the Breitling Transocean Chronograph - YouTube

I would go with a black face and leather strap.

QUOTE]

That's the first picture I've seen of the Transocean, that's sweet!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by bamagrad03 View Post
    Tag Day/Date and it's not even close. Plus, you can save about $1000 between the Day Date and the Navitimer if purchasing used.

Señor Crimson Tide brings up a very good point and I think the price gap is much bigger than $1000.

Personally I would also go with the Tag Carrera just based on price (actually for $3500 I'd go for a 2500 cal Omega Planet Ocean, but that's not on your list...yet) . The Navitimer is attractive, but not for $5000-6000, which is used Submariner, new Grand Seiko, Omega Cal 9300 money.
    Consolidation complete! Down from 17 watches to 2 grails + 3 support
    Rolex Seadweller 16600 / ALS Saxonia / Casio Edifice (travel) / Hamilton Intramatic (ultra-thin dress) / Kadloo Match Race (tool)

Quote Originally Posted by BigAO81 View Post
    I'm about to irritate some people, but here's how I feel:

A Tag is like a BMW 3 series- Very slick and attractive, but overpriced for what it actually is. Entry-level luxury that a lot of people start with before moving on to something else. You could certainly do worse.

A Breitling is like a Mercedes SLS with gull-wing doors, bright red paint, chrome rims, an after-market high-profile spoiler, neon undercarriage lights, a scoop air intake, a vanity plate that says "[email protected]", and, for some reason, Christmas lights down each side. Quality hidden underneath overdone, flashy styling.

To each his own, but I hate Breitlings. I'd rather wear a Fossil.
    This is why Brietling's marketing blitz has worked so well. I think everyone associates Breitling with ultra high end simply because those ads that the malls are doing their job so well.

That said, If you look beyond the F1's and Aquaracers and into the Carrera/Grand Carrera, Link, and Monaco, I think you'll find that the quality of those watches are very top notch. Breitling is a great quality watch no doubt, and I really want to like them, but their watches are just too cluttered for me.

Also, since you brought up the Mercedes comparison, Tag has a line Mercedes Benz SLR line. Then again, Breitling has the Bentley line.
    Current Collection:
    Omega - Planet Ocean 2500
    Steinhart - Ocean 1 Vintage Red
    Stowa
    -
    Antea KS Small Second
    Tag Heuer - Carrera Twin Time

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

Quote Originally Posted by Aulus Gellius View Post
    Tag Heuers look like Japanese watches. It's not to say that they aren't nice and everything, but they have no soul.
    Uh, are you saying that Japanese watches does not have "soul"?

What doe THAT mean?

What GIVES Swiss/German/Chinese watches "Soul" that you speak so highly of (I included Chinese here since you singled out Japanese watches)?
    Chronic flipper...

If you must, make it a Navi. However, I agree that neither of these watches are worth the money they are asking. You are paying more for a marketing campaign than a watch.

I too am in the same position. Was looking at Tag carrera day date with brown dial and brown leather band. That has been my first choice for a while. Then i saw a breitling chronomat 41 blue dial with stainless steel bracelet, very nice, watch and very blingy, also twice the price. This is my first luxury watch, so I dont mind spending extra $$ if it is truly a better watch. Also do people wear there breitling's everyday? I am a casual guy, just wondering if the breitling is too much bling.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information