Broken Silicone/Rubber Watch Strap, Integrated to Watch
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Broken Silicone/Rubber Watch Strap, Integrated to Watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Broken Silicone/Rubber Watch Strap, Integrated to Watch

This is my first post here, so take it easy on me, especially since I know some people hate math teachers in general simply because of what they teach :)

I know the title of this post is going to imply that I need to upgrade my watch to something better, but we're actually talking about my lone digital watch here (I do have two better face watches that I wear). It's also a rather complicated watch and story about why I have said watch.

Back in 1999, I got a Fossil Brain DQ-1013 for Christmas. It's one of those watches with seven different alarms, a memo function, built-in help...basically, the most cutting edge digital watch I was aware of at the time. Coming from a basic Armitron, this was a huge upgrade. I got my better watches years later.

I got this watch while still in school. Sadly, the strap broke after three years of daily wear, and my mom threw it out when I was in college (believe me, this happened to a lot of my stuff; I lost my favorite backpack and a really nice shirt while she was in a cleaning mode). For years, I scrounged eBay looking for a new watch.

I finally found one a few weeks ago. I paid three figures to have it imported from Italy, where the guy had a new old stock model. The color was a little different than my original, but it was close enough. I knew any other digital watch would be a downgrade, and since I do time my students quite often, I figured getting a new digital watch would help me (so I can watch them closer instead of watching my watch).

I wore it for the second time today, mostly to break it in, and...the strap broke. It broke on the decorative indentation.

Here's the problem--the strap is integrated into the design. It's not one where you can just take the old one off and replace it. Believe me, I did that with my old Armitron back in the 90s, which survived the abuse only an elementary school kid could put it through.

Now having been after this watch for a long time, I'm not going to just go and return it or get rid of it. I want to fix it.

My first thoughts were...

1. Gorilla glue, Loctite, etc. I do have Gorilla glue on hand right now but am not sure if it would be my best option since this thing has to bend a bit.

2. Sugru. I saw it come up and have heard some guys have repaired watch straps with it, but I'm not sure how good the bond would be.

3. Find some way to get a new, more permanent, more durable strap on there. This would take a lot of modification. I am not a jeweler but have extensive experience with small electronics, models, wood, etc; I do know my way around fixing and modifying things but have never dealt with a strap like this before (unless you count my first Fossil Brain, which I would have probably tried to fix).

Here are some pictures. I took two of the "damage" and one of what it would look like when together. These should get a general feel for the watch. I also got one shot of the face itself since even the guys at Fossil were unfamiliar with it!!

Name:  IMG_1583.JPG
Views: 9217
Size:  631.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_1584.JPG
Views: 9081
Size:  886.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_1585.JPG
Views: 9021
Size:  840.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_1586.JPG
Views: 9173
Size:  1.03 MB

Re: Broken Silicone/Rubber Watch Strap, Integrated to Watch

There's no glue made that would hold that. If you have to keep the band, the only thing that might work would be "sewing" it back together with wire. Less than ideal.

How would I "sew" it together?

Any thoughts on how to replace the band? Perhaps drill holes into the base of the watch where the plastic is thick and not brittle to support a standard band?

As I said before, the actual face of the watch is what matters to me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That's a pretty tough situation. First off, you should probably stop buying fossil watches :) The only Idea I can think of is to maybe cut it at both ends leaving just enough material off of the watch case for three small drill holes, then you could do like a caterpillar paracord braid with one of those plastic clips in the middle. It would be super cheap and I've done paracord weaving before off of youtube vids and it's pretty simple. You could do any color even a black/blue combo to match the watch. Here is an example of someone doing this but with a traditional spring bar setup.

I don't think any of the things you mentioned are long term viable solutions. I would cut off the straps and cutout a slot to use a nato strap. With the rubber being so brittle it may not hold up long without inserting some sort of metal oval ring in the cutout area. Next step I would stop buying fossils.

This is why I don't buy watches with integrated bracelets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Contact Fossil to get their recommendation ... you never know!
    UKMike and rfortson like this.

Just get a G-Shock.
    yankeexpress and fizzbin1701 like this.

Do the screws on the side do anything? Does that attach the strap somehow?

Seems like the only other suggestion is to somehow fashion lugs from the stubs of the original strap. If you do that, I'd suggest a NATO or similar that passes through both lugs so that when (not if) one of the "lugs" break, you won't lose the watch right away.

Also, I get that you have an attraction to this particular model. Maybe it's time to cut your losses and use this as a "special" watch and replace it with a new one. Even Cal Ripken had to take time off eventually.

Yeah, not a lot you can do here. Sadly, even if you found the watch again, you'd probably have the same problem -- that rubber just wasn't designed to hold up this long, and the case design means that realistically no replacement strap is going on there.

Do those screws do anything, though? If the strap can be removed and replaced, you could potentially take a shot at finding another. It would likely be just as fragile, though. I really do think it's time to cut your losses and see if you can find an adequate replacement watch.

Sorry to See that happen to anybody, even a Math Teacher. You will likely spend a lot of time and effort trying to figure out a solution to your problem and will end up with something you probably won't care for. My solution would be to bin that watch and go buy a Casio G Shock with all the bells and whistles that you want for timing your students.

However I suspect that you will also derive some measure of pleasure from getting this one back in service. I am simply sharing what I would do based on my past experience with such situations.
    Kevin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information