Brushing polished Center links
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Brushing polished Center links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Brushing polished Center links

I know there are likely threads on this, but I've done a search and haven't found anything with the specific information I would like.

I picked up this ball fireman that has polished center links. I really like the watch, I got it at a good pre-owned price, and I think it would wear better with a brushed bracelet. First of all, what are your thoughts?

secondly, I could probably attempt something like this myself with Scotch-Brite, 3M, sandpaper, Etc, but I also might totally screw it up.

A watchmaker in northern New Jersey said it's no problem to do and it would be about $75. Is that a fair price to get something like this done? Is it so easy to do oneself with zero metal working experience that it's silly to pay someone to do?

If you have photos of examples, that would be wonderful.
    Glashütte Senator Sixties Panodate Green
    Rolex Milgauss Z Blue
    Triton Subphotique blue
    Sinn U1 T
    Casio G-Shock full metal steel

Re: Brushing polished Center links

Here's a link to how I did it on my Zodiac -

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...8&share_type=t

$75 seems reasonable. I'd DIY first, can always use that as backup if you don't like the result

-- Wayne

You could probably do it yourself with some care and some fine steel wool. Might be hard getting into the nooks and crannies, though.
    41Mets likes this.
    Powered by 1.21 Gigawatts

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 41Mets View Post
    I know there are likely threads on this, but I've done a search and haven't found anything with the specific information I would like.

I picked up this ball fireman that has polished center links. I really like the watch, I got it at a good pre-owned price, and I think it would wear better with a brushed bracelet. First of all, what are your thoughts?

secondly, I could probably attempt something like this myself with Scotch-Brite, 3M, sandpaper, Etc, but I also might totally screw it up.

A watchmaker in northern New Jersey said it's no problem to do and it would be about $75. Is that a fair price to get something like this done? Is it so easy to do oneself with zero metal working experience that it's silly to pay someone to do?

If you have photos of examples, that would be wonderful.

If you don't want to try this yourself:

International Watch Works will do it

https://www.internationalwatchworks....et-refinishing

Motor City watch works will bead blast the entire watch for you too, not sure if they aslo brush

MotorCity WatchWorks | Services
    41Mets likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappyheropup View Post
    Here's a link to how I did it on my Zodiac -

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...8&share_type=t

$75 seems reasonable. I'd DIY first, can always use that as backup if you don't like the result

-- Wayne
    Wayne,

How'd you approach it with the links that aren't removable? So you essentially brushed the bracelet link against the sandpaper rather than the sandpaper against the link?

Thanks for the response.

Jay
    Rolex Milgauss Z Blue
    Triton Subphotique blue
    Sinn U1 T

A bit off topic but the whole idea of polished casebacks and bracelets has always caused me to wonder why? High polish is a known scratch magnet and to use it on the most common points of contact baffle me. But then again I don't see my watches as nice shiny jewelry. I tend to wear them.
    41Mets and Quartersawn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pickle puss View Post
    A bit off topic but the whole idea of polished casebacks and bracelets has always caused me to wonder why? High polish is a known scratch magnet and to use it on the most common points of contact baffle me. But then again I don't see my watches as nice shiny jewelry. I tend to wear them.
    I liked it on the datejust. On the ball it's overkill. There's one tiny polished area on the lug and the rest is brushed.
    Rolex Milgauss Z Blue
    Triton Subphotique blue
    Sinn U1 T

Quote Originally Posted by 41Mets View Post
    Wayne,

How'd you approach it with the links that aren't removable? So you essentially brushed the bracelet link against the sandpaper rather than the sandpaper against the link?

Thanks for the response.

Jay

The Zodiac has links that are screwed the length of the bracelet. It can be completely disassembled.

And yes, I dragged the links, then the whole bracelet, along the folded sandpaper.

I'll take out my broken Seiko test bracelet tomorrow and see if I can get into the assembled links with the sandpaper.

Can you post a picture of the bracelet showing the polished area between the fixed links?

-- Wayne

The Zodiac has links that are screwed the length of the bracelet. It can be completely disassembled.

And yes, I dragged the links, then the whole bracelet, along the folded sandpaper.

I'll take out my broken Seiko test bracelet tomorrow and see if I can get into the assembled links with the sandpaper.

Can you post a picture of the bracelet showing the polished area between the fixed links?

-- Wayne
    I'll get another at some point. The center links sit above the outer links so should be easier to get the links brushed without applying pressure to the outer links. The tricky part would be the edges above and below where they fold inward.
    Rolex Milgauss Z Blue
    Triton Subphotique blue
    Sinn U1 T

-- Wayne
    It's actually almost squared off in between the links. Maybe leave that part polished?
    Rolex Milgauss Z Blue
    Triton Subphotique blue
    Sinn U1 T

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information