Bucherer with ETA 2872 date movement
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Seiko_Licker

Thread: Bucherer with ETA 2872 date movement

Bucherer with ETA 2872 date movement

I was clearing some old junk tools from a rather wet and rusty tool box the other day and came upon an old watch.
    The mice had chewed the strap and the case was caked in a rust coloured slurry and I was just about to sling it in the trash bin when I noticed through a smear on the crystal that the second hand was sweeping!

Wiped Crystal and .......Abandoned the clear out and moved indoors .....
    where a little judicious cleaning revealed this Bucherer automatic dater gents watch.

It has a clean ETA 2872 movement and appears to be keeping exact time alongside my Tissot.
    Tiny rag on shock protector is only visible internal damage!
    25 jewels and style of face would suggest mid 60s to me.
    A little wash and polish removed all the brown gunk and the minor marks on the crystal polished out and are now not visible to my poor eyes!
    The leather strap was beyond salvage so I have fitted a Spiedel Expander that has been looking for a home for several years.
    All in all I am very pleased but ......
    Can anyone tell me when it was made?
    Who made it for Bucherer?
    What is the meaning of CD above the ETA number?
    and finally ....
    Where the heck did it come from as it was not mine or my Fathers or anyone else who had access to that old tool box??????

Re: Bucherer with ETA 2872 date movement

Quote Originally Posted by Aislingean View Post
    Where the heck did it come from as it was not mine or my Fathers or anyone else who had access to that old tool box??????
    I put it there. Surprise!
    GlennO likes this.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Just a guess: 70ties, early 80ties. The Rado Purple Horse used similar hands (and movements) up to 1987.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

The 2872 is a 1970-80s movement...
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii View Post
    The 2872 is a 1970-80s movement...
    I bow to your knowledge!
    I had partially based my idea of age on Goldsmith Works who sell very similar watches as 1969 vintage and on the fact that it was high fashion back in the 60s to have a black face watch with baton markers. I had several [Mostly Timex probably made in Dundee] including my first Sinclair digital that has become lost.
    Perhaps it was swapped for the Bucherer!

Wow.......how cool to find such a treasure in an old box. I was looking at some Bucherer's the other day. Nice watches for sure......
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

It wasn't until perhaps the nineties that Bucherer began pushing to make more upscale watches.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

I realise that the movement is ordinary by some standards however at 28800bpm and 44h reserve it is no slouch.
    Time keeping appears good, case and crystal are acceptable.
    It is not overly thick or heavy and is a good everyday watch! [Just my view]
    I only wish I had taken pictures of it before I washed it.

I would like to know if Bucherer contracted out, or if they assembled in their workshops and a model name or number and a more definite date would be really nice to know.
    A little family investigation suggests that it may have belonged to one of my late Mothers boyfriends so perhaps 1970s is appropriate but this wrinkly old pensioner is reliant on you guys for info!

Cheers
    Dave

Thread Information