Building Up Your Street (or forum) Cred
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Building Up Your Street (or forum) Cred

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Building Up Your Street (or forum) Cred

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie here. I've been lurking around here for some time, but finally decided to register for an account here.

I was just wondering, because everyone who buys and sells watches here rely heavily on your testimonials in the feedback thread, maybe you can share your experience starting out here when people don't trust you because of your lack of feedback? How did you overcome it to start building up your "street cred"?

I look forward to hearing from the seniors here! =)

Re: Building Up Your Street (or forum) Cred

I am certainly not a senior, nor have I tried to buy or sell a watch here at wus, but wis´s like to see photos of watches.
    Introducing yourself and your watches, is always good start. Share your watches on the many what are you wearing today threads.
    Alpina, Frederique Constant, Girard-Perregaux, Glycine, Mido, NORD Zeitmachine, Omega, Oris, Poljot, Seiko, Swatch, Tissot, Tutima, Ulysse Nardin, Zenith

Transparency, respect, honesty and quick feedback/payment are what worked for me in the sales forum.
    I do not have a watch collection - I have an accumulation of watches

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WatchCavalry View Post
    How did you overcome it to start building up your "street cred"?
    Well, per the rules, you have to have been registered for more than 90 days and have more than 100 posts so I'd start there:

To initiate a sales post in the Sales Corner as a private seller you must first be registered longer than 90 days and have a minimum of 100 posts in our discussion forums.
    Nokie likes this.

Welcome to Watchuseek. First off please read the rules at the top of this and the sales forum. I encourage you to start out on Watchuseek by participating in discussions about watches and starting interesting threads. Well thought out comments are always appreciated. Resist the temptation to speed post a bunch of one word and single sentence messages to get past the forum posting requirement for new members who want to sell watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Barge View Post
    I am certainly not a senior, nor have I tried to buy or sell a watch here at wus, but wis´s like to see photos of watches.
    Introducing yourself and your watches, is always good start. Share your watches on the many what are you wearing today threads.
    Yeah, we’re simple animals and even though we know exactly what a particular watch looks like we can’t get enough of photos - well I can’t anyway. As for building cred be honest and straight and don’t be smart in your posts.

Asking about street cred is a good way to never have it.
    Barge, Ellery, natesen and 1 others like this.

You can start to build a feedback profile by purchasing watches from the sales forum, and then asking the seller to leave positive feedback for you (of course leaving feedback for him as well).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Pallet Spoon likes this.

Well, per the rules, you have to have been registered for more than 90 days and have more than 100 posts so I'd start there:
    +1
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

For feedback, I referred to my eBay ratings. 100% positive. I also 1) tracked my purchases with sellers and 2) asked them for feedback on the Watch Deals forum. After a few positive feedbacks from the sellers, you can try becoming a seller. If the watch you are selling appeals strongly to a buyer, the positive feedback showing you as a buyer will hopefully sway your buyer into buying from you.

Yeah, everybody says "buy the seller." The reality is you have to have an attractive price on the watch you're selling. And even then you have to be prepared to negotiate because even if the price is low, buyers like to buy it for less than it was listed to feel they got a great deal. There is no "pulling the wool over the eyes" of the buyer. As buyers, we know the market. We know the grey market dealer sold you the watch on that great sale they had for a day. We saw the other examples of the same watch sell for less.

Have lots of well exposed, sharp focus pictures that clearly document the watch (no artsy stuff), and offer to provide more pictures if needed. Point out the flaws, if any. Describe the timekeeping accuracy and don't fudge the numbers. Avoid superlatives, we know how great the watch is or we would not have clicked the listing. Do not use the words Scare or Rare. You are describing a watch to a potential buyer who already knows, and the buyer doesn't need a persuasive education. Tell the buyer why you are selling (because for reasons I cannot comprehend, buyers like to know why), but don't write a romance novel about how this great watch you're selling is difficult to let go.

Be clear about how you are selling and what payment you accept. Do not pull the "net to me" crap. If you take PayPal and you have to pay 3% or 4% to receive the funds, factor that in to your asking price. Same for any other payment methods. Your bank charges a fee to receive a wire? Factor it in.

Determine whether or not you will ship outside your country or zone. If you will, be specific about how you want to be paid, how you will ship, how much it will cost, and whether or not you'll risk stating a low value for the package contents. Foreign buyers like to gripe about CONUS sellers (shipping only to Continental United States) who won't go the "extra step" and complete the mind-bending paperwork and calculate the cost of shipping. They will ask you to falsify the value of the contents so they don't have to pay extra fees or taxes to receive the shipment. They'll still expect you to accept PayPal despite the risks you take shipping a package abroad. So figure out whether or not you want that headache. You may offer free shipping in CONUS, but factor that in to your asking price as well.

Strive for quick and clear communication. Package the contents to survive a nuclear holocaust. Ask the buyer to contact you to be certain they are satisfied. Don't spend the money you just got from the sale until you have a satisfied buyer. If the buyer is not satisfied, ask how they would like to resolve it. You may have to offer a full refund or consider refunding a part of the sales price to cover their dissatisfaction.

Don't bump the listing every damn day. A couple/few times a week is sufficient, and if you need to keep bumping the listing, your price is too high. Consider lowering the price or withdrawing the listing. Sometimes you have a watch everyone wants, other times that prized possession you decided to let go means nothing to the majority of the crowd. Be patient. Be nice. State "or best/nearest/reasonable" offer, even if you think you don't want to. Sometimes when you get an offer, you'll change your mind.

Did I say be patient? No matter the listing strategy, someone will ask if it is still available, then never contact you again even though it is still available (I call this the "survey taker.") Some will even go as far as telling you how much they like your watch, and make arrangements to buy it only to weave some intricate story about having unexpected expenses come up like car repair or sick/dead relatives, then back out. As a seller, it is frustrating, but you'll find after several transactions that it is also something you can expect and just have to deal with.

Never express your frustrations with a buyer's questions or offers. You'll just look like a jerk, even though you are justified in your mind.
    Good luck!
    Weetabix, Seabee1, AFG08 and 6 others like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information