Building your own watch from components?

Thread: Building your own watch from components?

Lightbulb Building your own watch from components?

A few of the watches I like don't exist. I see sterile dials on eBay and I wonder 'how hard could it be to get a simple movement, a case, and a few hands and put it all together?'.

Anyone with advice on building your own watch from components? Any good places to source components from?

Shotgun: 1, Cheap Watch: 0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krX5680eIGI
    (ask me if you need help with a 'shotgun review' for your most hated watch)

Re: Building your own watch from components?

It's actually kinda hard. But look up Otto Frei for a source.

You may be interested in modified Seikos. Sterile dials are available from websites like Ten Watches and they can be put into a variety of 7s26 powered Seiko watches. Installing the dial might be a bit easier than assembling the watch, just because you would get to see how it goes while taking it apart.

Banned

austinnh is correct - it isn't as simple as snapping lego blocks together. Just because some pieces fit together doesn't mean they'll function correctly. Something as silly as a bit too strong of a mainspring can crack jewels and ruin teeth. Search the web for DIY watches or similar terminology and make sure you have a good idea of what you're getting into before you buy any parts. Good luck!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm no expert, but if he's buying a complete movement, he shouldn't have to worry about something like the strength of the mainspring, I think.

Its not that hard, but it does take some patience and some good quality basic tools. ofrei, esslinger, several watch supply houses offer basic stuff as well as a basic watch course where you actually put a watch together, worth looking into...
    I have done several, heres just a few ....

I have done what you are describing, and it's not too difficult. However, investing in the tools makes a single project pretty expensive. Try to decide whether you will want to build several watches in the future. If not, I would just pay a pro to put the watch together.

Have had the same thought countless times. Despite the millions of watches on the market, it seems there's only one way to get the watch I want - buy the parts, not too expensive, and get some watchmaker to put it all together. Definitely a gap in the market, here. The reality is that it's just about impossible to source the exact parts (especially size and type of case). You also have to have the certainty that the chosen movement will fit the chosen case, or that a crystal could be replaced with say, sapphire or acrylic - not to mention finding someone to do the custom dial printing (one off), make the hands (one set only) etc etc. I'm sure it can be done, but I don't have the patience!

I've built dozens. It's not difficult, once you have a minimal understand of, and competence in, what you're doing.

In the beginning, unless you've got similar assembly experience, it's far easier to break things that should not be broken, than to get it right. Do lots of reading, and get the proper tools.

Here's one forum thread to the many watches built by WUSers: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/pro...es-328244.html

Enjoy and good luck

Quote Originally Posted by bluloo View Post
    I've built dozens. It's not difficult, once you have a minimal understand of, and competence in, what you're doing.

In the beginning, unless you've got similar assembly experience, it's far easier to break things that should not be broken, than to get it right. Do lots of reading, and get the proper tools.

Here's one forum thread to the many watches built by WUSers: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/pro...es-328244.html

Enjoy and good luck
    Thanks! Good to see!

Shotgun: 1, Cheap Watch: 0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krX5680eIGI
    (ask me if you need help with a 'shotgun review' for your most hated watch)

Thread Information