Bulova Marine Star 98C62...

Thread: Bulova Marine Star 98C62...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bulova Marine Star 98C62...

... hello all, nice to meet you, I'm a newbie here.

I am seeking info on the Bulova Marine Star 98C62, I want to get one for my Dad. He's a Bulova man for years. My only problem is in all of the descriptions of this watch, it says it ia a 3 handed Quartz movement... but nothing about the battery?

Does this watch run on battery power? If so, how long does the battery normally last?:thanks

Thanks for any and all replies to this post.

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Re: Bulova Marine Star 98C62...

It's a battery powered quartz watch. The battery should last a minimum of two years.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

JPL

I just got that watch not to long ago, and it is my daily watch, great fit, feel, quality, and that blue dial....just awesome, I tried to capture it in a pic and can't.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm like your dad, having worn a similar Bulova 98B95 for over a dozen years as my daily beater. I like the 98C62 you're considering for him, and may look into buying one sometime down the road; at the moment, I'm enjoying my new Orient Blue Mako, which has a similar dial and bezel but is an automatic rather than a quartz.

As Emmanuel said, typically the battery in these Bulovas will run for 24-26 months. I usually send mine in to Bulova in New York to have it serviced; they replace the battery, pressure test it, and warranty their work for a year. Not a bad deal in the long term...at least to me.

Mike

The Collection: Too many to list
    The Wish List: Still too many to list
    The Grail: Bremont ALT1-P (blue dial)

Thanks alot for your advice and great pictures about this watch.

I'm wondering one last thing... if batteries last only 24-26 months, does the watch need cleaning everytime you replace the battery? Or is that just a normal practice most people use when changing batteries? Would opening a wach numerous times over the years add wear and tear to the back casing or any other problems one could surmise arrising?

Thanks once again for everyone's help and advice. They are nice looking watches JPL.

I might check out that OrientMako , mike... thanks for suggesting it... (even though my dad might grumble it's not a Bulova... smile).

Thanks Emmanuel for your answer as well. Much obliged.

Quote Originally Posted by Kragerbone View Post
    Thanks alot for your advice and great pictures about this watch.

I'm wondering one last thing... if batteries last only 24-26 months, does the watch need cleaning everytime you replace the battery? Or is that just a normal practice most people use when changing batteries? Would opening a wach numerous times over the years add wear and tear to the back casing or any other problems one could surmise arrising?

Thanks once again for everyone's help and advice. They are nice looking watches JPL.

I might check out that OrientMako , mike... thanks for suggesting it... (even though my dad might grumble it's not a Bulova... smile).

Thanks Emmanuel for your answer as well. Much obliged.
    The watches don't necessarily need cleaning every time the battery is replaced. Mine has been cleaned twice in 12 years, and both were unplanned (once, a jeweler didn't seal the caseback properly and enough moisture got inside to foul up the works; the other, I accidentally pulled the stem completely out of the watch and they had to check the movement and put it back together).

Repeated opening of the caseback will not harm the case itself, but if the O-ring seal is not seated properly each time, or if it has gotten old and dried out, then moisture could get inside and make for a very bad day. That's where the pressure test comes in.

Good luck with your shopping, and do try to post a shot or two of whatever you get for your dad -- we always enjoy looking at pictures!

Mike

JPL

BTW, Kragerbone, it's the same watch :)

Wink Re: Bulova Marine Star 98C62...

Well I did it... I went out and bought the 98C62 Bulova Marine Star watch for my Dad! It's heavy isn't it? What a nice blue color it has and the quality craftmanship of the watch is apparent, though I wish the day/date was clearer.

Im giving him the watch by next Wednesday, and I hope he'll like it. Wish I could take some photo's to show what a beauty it is. I'll see if I can find a cmaera somewhere.

Thank everyone who helped me on this watch!

Congrats to your dad on the new watch! If he loves Bulovas as much as you say, he'll really enjoy that one. I wish my kids would think about me that way...maybe they will one of these days...

Mike

Here is mine,98C004.....I picked it up awhile ago..it was hardly used...keeps geat time and I am very happy wearing it(lots of compliments).....I guess from comments I read at that time ,that many consider it to be at the bottom, re Bulova's line and that the quality would not be comparable to the 'vintage Bulova's'....I would probably agree with that,however,I must say that it feels and looks lke a watch of good value...Thumbs up
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information