Bulova Marine Star quartz loose time new battery

Thread: Bulova Marine Star quartz loose time new battery

Bulova Marine Star quartz loose time new battery

Hi Folks,

Any ideas on why a Bulova Marine Star with the day/date quartz is loosing approx 1 minute every 10 days or so on a new battery?

I just changed the battery recently. With the old battery it gradually increased in loosing time towards the end of life and utimately died.

I should expect dead-on accuracy with a new battery...

Any help would be appreciated!

thanks much,
    Craig

Re: Bulova Marine Star quartz loose time new battery

How old is it, has it ever been serviced?

good question.

only about a year old. Never been serviced. I was wondering if quartz watches have any type of +/- adjustments.

thx

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Six to seven years for a quartz. A year old, that's a warranty job and it should have been sent to Bulova for the change. It may contact or curcuit problems (caps), it may have to be sent in.
    Quote Originally Posted by cesully View Post
    good question.

only about a year old. Never been serviced. I was wondering if quartz watches have any type of +/- adjustments.

thx

First off, the battery in a Marine Star should last longer than a year. I've owned a Marine Star for 11 years, and it averages a new battery every 25-27 months.

I did have a similar problem with my watch running fast after its first battery change many years ago. When I sent it in, the service center told me the local jeweler who replaced the battery didn't get the seals right when setting the caseback, and either dust or moisture got into the case and messed with the mechanism. They gave it a good cleaning, and it worked perfectly. Other than batteries (which I have Bulova replace now as well), it's had one major service since then, about 5 years ago. It still runs spot-on.

Mike

The Collection: Too many to list
    The Wish List: Still too many to list
    The Grail: Bremont ALT1-P (blue dial)

I agree about the warranty issue. I've had my Marine Star about a year, and it needed a new battery about two weeks after I picked it up. I had a pretty reputable jewler (but not a Bulova dealer) replace it, and it has been keeping great time since.

My advice is to be very careful if you have a local jeweler doing a battery replacement within the warranty period -- if they screw it up, Bulova may not honor the warranty and then you're stuck with a bill for any repairs. In my case the watch was out of warranty, but if you're within a couple of years from purchasing new, I would strongly recommend taking it back to the AD or sending it to Bulova directly - either way, the monkey will be off your back for covering any repairs that result.

They may relax this a little now that Citizen owns the company, but I don't know how the Citizen service process works -- are their ADs set up to do warranty work, or do they have a central service center like Bulova?

Mike

The Collection: Too many to list
    The Wish List: Still too many to list
    The Grail: Bremont ALT1-P (blue dial)

Thread Information