This or That ...but not what you think :)

Thread: This or That ...but not what you think :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This or That ...but not what you think :)

Me and watches... It was actually another hobby that helped lead the way because of a connection to a member on this forum, which is what sparked my interest in watches. (He is bi-geekly too) I have always had what I thought was a decent watch, but $600 was about the most I had ever spent. It was in the Spring I started making myself familiar with many watch brands I had never known existed, and bought a Tag, it was one of the few brands I had known. I then discovered Breitling which immediately screamed this was my type of watch, but not really my type of price. ...especially after just buying the Tag. So day after day went by and I was completely obsessed with becoming a Ling member, but was hard to pull the trigger. I first talked myself into a Steelfish which I figured I could swing, but it was a Blackbird that I knew was the one. Finally after several weeks of racking my brain what to do I just said the heck with it and bought the Blackbird... and was VERY happy with it, and still am. God it has no end does it? Not even two weeks had passed and I'm interested again in another Breitling... This was getting to be too much so in an effort to keep some type of cash on hand I found a sporty Tissot I liked and bought that. It was probably just as much about saving money as it was getting the watch! oh... I can also throw a G-Shock in there too, but sold it right away, wasn't for me. Needless to say, my budget wasn't only shot for watches, it was into the clouds by now and I knew I was done for sometime, and a very long time for something such as another Breitling.

Now here's the this or that, yeah a bit long winded but I'm here. The other hobby I mentioned above was metal detecting. I don't bring it up often on forums other than ones about detecting, but since watches are probably on the same geek level I guess I'm ok. Anyway, a few weeks ago my friend and I were out in search of some Colonial period coins and artifacts and 15 minutes before quitting I found a very rare token, something that was definitely worth the day out. My friend on this forum replied to my find saying that's probably a good chunk of your Super Avenger! (The next watch I had wanted, but knew it wouldn't happen for a long time) I usually don't sell what I find because I don't do it for the money, but given the poor cracked condition of this token, and a new Breitling calling my name, I let it go. The token paid the watch with plenty to spare.

Here's the this or that pics. I suspect I know which one most (ok all) on the forum will choose.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Close 2 Cool; November 12th, 2009 at 01:47.

Re: This or That ...but not what you think :)

This is pretty cool, but it's that that I really like
    Rolex GMT Master II BLNR "Batman"
    Omega Speedmaster Pro 3573.50
    Omega Seamaster Cosmic c.1968
    Oris Williams F1 Day/Date
    Oris LE 1945 Flight Timer
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa 2801 HW Flieger
    Longines Conquest Heritage
    Longines Grande Vitesse GMT Chrono
    Longines Hydroconquest Blue
    Longines 1972 Vintage
    Seiko SKX009
    Seiko SARB017 Alpinist
    Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military
    Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Dual Time

Friends don't let friends buy Invicta

Quote Originally Posted by *El Ocho 1* View Post
    This is pretty cool, but it's that that I really like

Obviously I do agree on this one, but do have things I've found that added up would buy me several more quality watches, but in those cases I continue to pick the "This".

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thats very understandable. The history behind those "this's" is something that can not be bought.
    Rolex GMT Master II BLNR "Batman"
    Omega Speedmaster Pro 3573.50
    Omega Seamaster Cosmic c.1968
    Oris Williams F1 Day/Date
    Oris LE 1945 Flight Timer
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa 2801 HW Flieger
    Longines Conquest Heritage
    Longines Grande Vitesse GMT Chrono
    Longines Hydroconquest Blue
    Longines 1972 Vintage
    Seiko SKX009
    Seiko SARB017 Alpinist
    Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military
    Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Dual Time

Friends don't let friends buy Invicta

Quote Originally Posted by *El Ocho 1* View Post
    Thats very understandable. The history behind those "this's" is something that can not be bought.
    Yep, you're absolutely right. Being able to hold it in your hand seems to keep the memory that much better too. The longer I metal detect (10 years now) the more I realize the fun we have going out might be the best "treasure" of all.

Glad i could help! That Brietling looks awesome. I don't really like blue dials but that one looks sweet!!!
    Chuck Norris doesn't wear a watch...HE decides what time it is.

Quote Originally Posted by romeo-1 View Post
    Glad i could help! That Brietling looks awesome. I don't really like blue dials but that one looks sweet!!!
    If you tend to not like blue dials than maybe you would like this one, because I do like blue dials and as you know wasn't too sure about this one. But as of right now I'm ok with it.

PS.. I question if it was help. :)

Very interesting thoughts...I am a violinist/violist. I met my wife playing in an orchestra. Between the 2 of us we have several instruments and bows. We don't own an Italian instrument (worth more money even if it doesn't sound better than other nationalities) or a French bow (the same as with Italian instruments). I won't go into detail telling you how we chose the instruments and bows we have bought. Needless to say, they are very expensive things to buy. A Strad. will sell for $3,000,00.00 dollars to a collector. Very rarely these days can a working professional musician afford to spend that kind of money.

They are both investments and tools to us. We had to pick them very carefully because of the expense and playability. I have heard a $3,000,000.00 Strad get out played by a $25,000.00 modern German violin. I would love to have an Italian violin, but the cost is very prohibited for an investment type of instrument. What I do play on is a French violin that plays very well but not worth nearly as much as a violin with the same kind of qualities that a similar Italian instrument will have. The same thing with the bow I mostly use. It was made by a very famous German maker, but because it is German it isn't worth as much as a French bow maker (some of those bows can go for as much as $100,000.00). You can see why it is important to pick wisely.

Now coming to the quandary I am with the same thoughts as you and wanting to buy a true "grail" type of watch. I love the way the Hublot's look. I don't know why, I just do. I know that I will probably never have one, but I still like to look and wish. What I think I will end up doing is buying something that is very close to a Hublot. Not the same expense or name. It is sort of like my instruments and bows...which by the way are far more costly than a Hublot. I will buy something that works just as well and probably as aesthetically pleasing. I will still continue to look at Hublot's with wishful eyes. I will also continue to wish I could afford an Italian instrument and a French bow. It doesn't cost anything to look and try out these things. But when push comes to shove, is one quality watch better than another? Will a sharp looking Tissot last as long as a Rolex and will it keep as good of time as a Rolex. I don't know for sure the answers. I suspect that both watches would out live me and keep about the same kind of time if they are taken care of.

Having that carrot always out there makes hobbies worth having. Have fun with your new hobby. I hope your Breitling will give you many years of service and happiness.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by indiana_holmes View Post
    Very interesting thoughts...I am a violinist/violist. I met my wife playing in an orchestra. Between the 2 of us we have several instruments and bows. We don't own an Italian instrument (worth more money even if it doesn't sound better than other nationalities) or a French bow (the same as with Italian instruments). I won't go into detail telling you how we chose the instruments and bows we have bought. Needless to say, they are very expensive things to buy. A Strad. will sell for $3,000,00.00 dollars to a collector. Very rarely these days can a working professional musician afford to spend that kind of money.

They are both investments and tools to us. We had to pick them very carefully because of the expense and playability. I have heard a $3,000,000.00 Strad get out played by a $25,000.00 modern German violin. I would love to have an Italian violin, but the cost is very prohibited for an investment type of instrument. What I do play on is a French violin that plays very well but not worth nearly as much as a violin with the same kind of qualities that a similar Italian instrument will have. The same thing with the bow I mostly use. It was made by a very famous German maker, but because it is German it isn't worth as much as a French bow maker (some of those bows can go for as much as $100,000.00). You can see why it is important to pick wisely.

Now coming to the quandary I am with the same thoughts as you and wanting to buy a true "grail" type of watch. I love the way the Hublot's look. I don't know why, I just do. I know that I will probably never have one, but I still like to look and wish. What I think I will end up doing is buying something that is very close to a Hublot. Not the same expense or name. It is sort of like my instruments and bows...which by the way are far more costly than a Hublot. I will buy something that works just as well and probably as aesthetically pleasing. I will still continue to look at Hublot's with wishful eyes. I will also continue to wish I could afford an Italian instrument and a French bow. It doesn't cost anything to look and try out these things. But when push comes to shove, is one quality watch better than another? Will a sharp looking Tissot last as long as a Rolex and will it keep as good of time as a Rolex. I don't know for sure the answers. I suspect that both watches would out live me and keep about the same kind of time if they are taken care of.

Having that carrot always out there makes hobbies worth having. Have fun with your new hobby. I hope your Breitling will give you many years of service and happiness.

Chris

I think once you get in the range of a Hublot it's not just a matter of affording it, but can you justify that much for a watch. I'm sure most of the richest people in the world don't spend $150,000 on a watch not because they couldn't, but because the thought to them is insane. But the ones who really like watches would probably spend a million and have many. Just the lower cost Breitlings are in the range of the most I'll ever spend but that's ok because they tend to be the ones I like the most. As for other brands, it's funny how taste goes because Hublot does little to nothing for me, where as some by Ulysse Nardin

PS... No doubt you'll have a Hublot, or probably even a Strad. before I am able to purchase a nice Ulysse Nardin, but I fully plan enjoy what I do own and not really think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by indiana_holmes View Post

Chris
    My grail happens to be the soon-to-be-released Hublot Big Bang Wally Edition!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information