Buy Here or Wait?

Thread: Buy Here or Wait?

Buy Here or Wait?

I live in Toronto and I'll be taking a trip to Europe in the Fall. Looking at buying a watch (likely a Hamilton, Tissot, or if I decide upper end Omega or Longines) sometime soon, would I be better off waiting until I go to Europe or should I just buy here?

Is there a big price difference?

Likely going to the UK, France and Spain.

Thanks!

Re: Buy Here or Wait?

I think there would be deals as good here as you'd find anywhere - when I was looking at Japanese watches in Japan, the additional selection was nice but the prices pretty much the same as here. When I was in London, same. France, same. YEMV but I don't think you'd save much, if anything, in terms of purchase price and you would of course be taking a chance if you wore it back but didn't declare it. Plus, there's something to be said for buying local if you can manage it. Nice to have a real person to talk to if the darn thing ever breaks.

Heck, last time I checked they've got some pretty nice Longines models in the watchmaker's nook at Sears downtown, and there's a big store in Vaughan Mills. I wouldn't take sticker price as gospel though - didn't I read somewhere that Swatch group MSRP is exactly 200% of dealer cost? Omega fans will give you more pointers, good luck!

Costco always has Tissot, Omega and Tag as well as Movado and I often see Longines in there too. Best prices I have seen for the models in question and the added benefit of a super (yes...grey market...but return to store for full refund) warranty.... only problem is you have to pay via Amex or cash....you can use debit if your daily withdrawal limit is high enough. I went to the Tag AD at the Shoppes on Steeles looking for a diamond Aquaracer for the wife's birthday....same model at Costco was 55% less.....that is not chump change on a $4K timepiece!

oops...didn't really answer the question.... I have found that if anything European prices are higher...US/Canada is just a bigger and more competitive market.... even in the far East, the difference was more of selection than price IMHO
    Last edited by Uber; March 19th, 2011 at 00:15.
    Cave Quid Optes

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

With the Canadian dollar strong against the pound you'll find good deals in the UK... it will most likely be cheaper than here especially if you shop duty free at Heathrow (or claim your VAT back).

Quote Originally Posted by kalessin View Post
    With the Canadian dollar strong against the pound you'll find good deals in the UK... it will most likely be cheaper than here especially if you shop duty free at Heathrow (or claim your VAT back).
    Have you ever tried to claim your VAT back???

I tried it twice.... I was almost successful on one occasion before the application was mysteriously "lost" for a second time.....

From my own experience I would say stick with the Duty Free
    Cave Quid Optes

thanks for the tips!

Thread Information