Buyer Beware, eBay
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Buyer Beware, eBay

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Buyer Beware, eBay

To be honest, most of my watches have been bought and sold through eBay, mainly because there are few other options, other than paying over the top in a high street retailer. However, one needs to be so careful. I just bought a new watch, well new to me, and was trying to make up my mind between a Rotary Les Originals Chrono, and a Tissot Quickster. Both are excellent watches with quartz ETA movements and sapphire windows. I was close to completing a deal with the Tissot seller when he told me the watch would cost an additional £20 if I wanted the box. Of course, this set the alarm bells ringing. I messaged him and asked if the watch was genuine, and he replied that it was indeed 100% kosher. I replied "every Tissot watch that leaves the factory leaves with a box, so if you don't supply the box what will happen to it". I received no answer. Needless to say the watch is a fake. Only last year I decided to purchase a Tissot PRC 200, and buying a genuine one at a good price is incredibly difficult. Despite informing eBay of these sellers they do nothing. Unlike many watch enthusiasts, I don't actually have to much of a problem with fake watches, as long as the buyer in question knows it is a fake, but appreciate I am the minority voice on this subject. The problem with these sellers is that they price the watches close enough to make people think they are a bargain, and they lie about them when asked.

Anyway, I have managed to secure a used Rotary Les Originals at what I believe is a very good price, but am awaiting it's delivery. Watch this space

Re: Buyer Beware, eBay

Ebay has been rough of late for buying and selling watches. I have had more issues in the last year than at any other time. Ebay makes so much money you would think they would have a greater stake in regulating spurious sellers, but alas they do not.

A lot of overseas seller ship without box due to shipping costs. It’s really not a major issue nor does it mean the seller is selling fakes. What bothers me more is the fact your ok with fakes if both parties know about it. That’s wrong. Way wrong
    Last edited by City74; 2 Weeks Ago at 19:22.
    My collection changes so often I got tired of redoing my signature

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Wiggles View Post
    To be honest, most of my watches have been bought and sold through eBay, mainly because there are few other options, other than paying over the top in a high street retailer. However, one needs to be so careful. I just bought a new watch, well new to me, and was trying to make up my mind between a Rotary Les Originals Chrono, and a Tissot Quickster. Both are excellent watches with quartz ETA movements and sapphire windows. I was close to completing a deal with the Tissot seller when he told me the watch would cost an additional £20 if I wanted the box. Of course, this set the alarm bells ringing. I messaged him and asked if the watch was genuine, and he replied that it was indeed 100% kosher. I replied "every Tissot watch that leaves the factory leaves with a box, so if you don't supply the box what will happen to it". I received no answer. Needless to say the watch is a fake. Only last year I decided to purchase a Tissot PRC 200, and buying a genuine one at a good price is incredibly difficult. Despite informing eBay of these sellers they do nothing. Unlike many watch enthusiasts, I don't actually have to much of a problem with fake watches, as long as the buyer in question knows it is a fake, but appreciate I am the minority voice on this subject. The problem with these sellers is that they price the watches close enough to make people think they are a bargain, and they lie about them when asked.

Anyway, I have managed to secure a used Rotary Les Originals at what I believe is a very good price, but am awaiting it's delivery. Watch this space
    So you don't mind you are breaking a rather serious law, as long as both parties know laws are being broken? What about the 3rd party (manufacturers) that has no say that thier name is crazy glued to junk?

Then you get mad when lawbreakers sell you fake crap.

I'm sorry that is some double standard. I'd say you need to reflect on the morality of theft.

The end game is always to cheat/trick someone. It is the only reason fakes exist. You should not tolerate thier exsistance.

End Rant

Anyway,
    Attached Images Attached Images

platinumEX and Nokie like this.
    Core Collection:
    H. Moser & Cie Venture Small Seconds 2327-0402, Omega Aqua Terra 231.53.39.21.06.002, JLC Reverso Flyback Chrono 255.182, JLC Reverso Grande Taille 270.3.62, Rolex OP 1966 1002, Ulysee Nardin Perpetual GMT 321-22, Longines Conquest 1959, Hamilton Electric Spectra 1957, Citizen AQ 4020–54Y, Bulova Accutron Astronaut

That does sound kind of whacky. You don't mind fake watches as long as both parties know they are fake? Your problem with the seller is that they didn't tell you that it's a fake?

Yes, you are in the minority. You are even in a smaller minority for admitting to being such an unscrupulous watch person on a watch enthusiast forum. If you get ripped off, you deserve it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ticktocker View Post
    That does sound kind of whacky. You don't mind fake watches as long as both parties know they are fake? Your problem with the seller is that they didn't tell you that it's a fake?

Yes, you are in the minority. You are even in a smaller minority for admitting to being such an unscrupulous watch person on a watch enthusiast forum. If you get ripped off, you deserve it.
    Not what the thread was about, but I respect your opinion. I don't own a fake, have never purchased a fake, and certainly wouldn't sell a fake. I don't condone the manufacture of replica watches, but am not offended by their existence as long as no individual gets ripped off. Of course, the reality is they are, and that's why they shouldn't be produced. At this point I should say that some back street manufacturer of cheap Rolex copies will not have an effect on the Rolex watch company.
    Zhanming057 likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by City74 View Post
    A lot of overseas seller ship without box due to shipping costs. It’s really not a major issue nor does it mean the seller is selling fakes. What bothers me more is the fact your ok with fakes if both parties know about it. That’s wrong. Way wrong
    Yes, companies such as Parnis do, and I am happy to accept this, especially as I own many of their watches. On the other hand, I am sure Tissot don't.

Hmm, ive only bought one watch through ebay. that does sound sketchy

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Patryk_K View Post
    Hmm, ive only bought one watch through ebay. that does sound sketchy
    I am not sure how it differs in the US. In the UK we either get ripped off by high street retailers or recognised internet sellers, who charge about the same, or we can buy from Amazon or eBay. The only internet sellers that offer better prices are overseas, and then the import charges take them up to the same price as the UK. I should point out that the US prices on most watches is considerably less than here. I have had some amazing success purchasing watches through eBay, but admittedly I have had to have my wits about me. Only yesterday I purchased a £500 two month old watch, hardly worn for £54 in an auction. On the flip side, I have sold some watches for a fraction of the price I thought they were worth.
    Mr Auto likes this.

People often sell watches without the box in order to sell it separately. If you frequent any general "deal" forums, you'll often see topics about watches like Speedmasters where they factor in the sale of the box separately as part of the cost. For example, they'll find a Speedmaster for $4k, and figure they can sell the box for $400, so it's $3600 net. Not my thing, but lots of people do it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information