The buyers nightmare: "My latest overpriced acquisition"

Thread: The buyers nightmare: "My latest overpriced acquisition"

The buyers nightmare: "My latest overpriced acquisition"

A watch is a tool, an accessory we wear that makes a personal statement and/or a collectible object and not an investment. In most cases, unless if we only want the basic timekeeper which is a ten bucks quartz, we only buy it for our own pleasure or (more often) to be seen by the others - and never because we need it. (some exceptions here, the watches worn in special conditions.) There is a saying in my country (might be worldwide known, but I'm not aware of that) that in an approximate translation means: "The luxury and the stupidity have their own price". (Obviously they do not both apply to all people, but they oftenly meet at the same person.) So why worry about the real value of the watch ? Because nothing is more tasty than a good wine for the price of plain water.
    The opposite, the simple fact that we know that we payed just a little bit more than the real value drives us mad from the moment we know it, even if it brought us a lot of satisfaction the time before.
    That's why we need to know the EXACT price, to enjoy the satisfaction for the watch combined with the satisfaction for paying less (sometimes after a long hunt, much more expensive if converted in money).
    That's why they invented the "homage", to save our time, efforts and money .
    And this homage, if made of the same materials, at the same level of quality and with a similar movement reflects the basic value of the watch.
    Why basic ? Because besides the basic price, you pay for the brand, customer service, advertising and intellectual property. Judge by yourself how much more worth to pay for the legitimate product.
    Considering the above would I ever buy the brand which is needless to say that will be always more expensive ? No, never; the quality and design covers the "statement" mentioned above, but I would ALWAYS buy the intellectual property, I think it's fair to do so. With only one exception: the "real thing" is so obviously shameless overpriced that my conscious says "don't bother".
    Don't include the limited editions in this story, they are something different.
    Renee Descartes walks into a bar, the bartender says 'sir can I get you a Martini ?', Descartes says 'I don't think...' and he disappears

Cheers,
    Fidel
    (DWP #001/100)

Banned

Re: The buyers nightmare: "My latest overpriced acquisition"

Good post. I am also prepared to pay a bit for history.
    Real history, not a made up one or a "new born" one. Too many of those around, sadly!

I understand your point, but I'm not sure what the question is. If it is "would you buy a homage if the genuine was grossly overpriced", then I'd say it depends on the homage and how much I wanted the original or one that looked like it.

Don't make me go Blackbelt on ya!
    Terry
    -------------------
    Breitling Navitimer 01 LE, Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish, Bathys Aquaculture black PVD, Seiko Sumo, Seiko Orange Monster, RXW MM20,
    RXW MM25, Chase-Durer conquest, Movado series 800 Diver, Movado Museum, Citizen Ecodrive chrono, Bulova Precisionist

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TxKarateDude View Post
    I understand your point, but I'm not sure what the question is. If it is "would you buy a homage if the genuine was grossly overpriced", then I'd say it depends on the homage and how much I wanted the original or one that looked like it.

There is no question but personal considerations, just wanted to point out that we should appreciate what they do and not who they are. As you probably noticed a lot of people buy brands and not watches. "Luxury and....."
    Renee Descartes walks into a bar, the bartender says 'sir can I get you a Martini ?', Descartes says 'I don't think...' and he disappears

Cheers,
    Fidel
    (DWP #001/100)

"Good post. I am also prepared to pay a bit for history.
    Real history, not a made up one or a "new born" one. Too many of those around, sadly!" (Janne)

I agree completely - established history, more often than not, is worth paying extra for (IMO).
    N
    Caveat lector

I don't think its fair to say the homage brands are of the same quality as the big name brands. The differences might be subtle, but they are there, from the finish of the edges to the precision of the parts. One thing I notice most homages lacking is lume. For lume freaks, this is important.

So, while it may be true that one pays *a lot* more to buy the big names, to some people it is worth the price to gain top quality and prestige. Ultimately what people buy is their own decision and it is not anyone else's business to say "you paid too much."
    Lots of dive watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric L. View Post
    I don't think its fair to say the homage brands are of the same quality as the big name brands. The differences might be subtle, but they are there, from the finish of the edges to the precision of the parts. One thing I notice most homages lacking is lume. For lume freaks, this is important.

So, while it may be true that one pays *a lot* more to buy the big names, to some people it is worth the price to gain top quality and prestige. Ultimately what people buy is their own decision and it is not anyone else's business to say "you paid too much."
    I think you have to sort the men out from the boys here, chinese MM are one thing....but Bill & Eddies homages are almost as good as the originals (homages of classic vintage usually better) Eddies PRS-20LE V standard Radomir is a real head scratcher, pay twice as much perhaps, but 5 times?

Moderator High-end watches amine's Avatar

To me, i won't feel the same if i wear a fake branded tshirt made in xxxxx or the same one but real and made in the country of origin, same thing about watches, what's the point of wearing a cheap/well made copy when you can't afford the real one with its great history and quality, if i can't afford it then i don't buy it, simple. There are loads and loads of timepieces that i would choose according to my budget instead of going for a fake one that would not at all bring me the same happiness and feeling as a genuine piece, one shouldn't lie to himself, making a very important purchase is a kind of achievement and personal satisfaction, it costs what it costs but it's definitely worth it, of course just IMO.
    Oris Flight Timer R4118,Oris Carlos Coste 2007,Oris TT3,Rolex Submariner date,Rolex Milgauss GV,Rolex cosmograph Daytona,Rolex GMT Master II-C,Patek Philippe Nautilus 5712/1A,A.Lange & Söhne Lange1,Breguet Le Reveil Du Tsar,Vacheron Constantin Overseas Dual Time,Audemars Piguet ROO Safari,Omega SMP1164,Panerai 177,Panerai 88,Panerai 214,Panerai 233,Breitling Navitimer world,Tag Heuer aquaracer D/D, Tag Heuer Microtimer,Tag Heuer SLR 2007 L.E,Tag Heuer Carrera, Cartier Santos 100,Frederique Constant Austin Healey L.E,Maurice Lacroix Pontos,Maurice Lacroix MP Double Retrograde,Chopard Mille Miglia GT XL 2007 L.E,Tissot Moto GP 2007 L.E,JeanRichard Chronoscope J-051,JeanRichard Chronoscope 25030,JeanRichard Bressel 16012,Longines Lindbergh 47mm,Girard Perregaux Laureato Evo3,Jaeger-Le-Coultre Master World Geographic,IWC Classic Pilot Chrono,IWC 5001 Portuguese 7 Days,Baume & Mercier Hampton XL Magnum,Zenith Defy Classic Chrono Aero,Zenith Defy Extreme Chrono,Longines Legend Diver...etc

Please give some examples of brands that WIS's seemingly over pay for so we can better understand. I do not think any of us would want to mistakingly over pay for a watch.
    Better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done...

Thread Information