Buying advice for pre-owned watch

Thread: Buying advice for pre-owned watch

Lightbulb Buying advice for pre-owned watch

Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty new here and pretty new with watch as well, but I can't resist now to spend plenty of time connected to this forum (and some others).
    As I said I'm pretty new, so please forgive me if I'm asking "stupid" questions

Now I want to buy a watch and big question...what to look for when buying a pre-owned watch?
    What are the most important questions to ask a seller?
    How to be "sure" the watch is authentic? Is it something common to go with the seller to an AD or expert to authenticate the watch? ...
    Thanks for any information

stuffler,mike

Re: Buying advice for pre-owned watch

Post moved from Inquries to our Public Forum.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I am not an expert on pre-owned watches, but I feel the way to be completely sure is to have it shown to an AD. I read somewhere that papers can be bought for fake watches easily. Whenever I buy a pre-owned watch, the first thing I do is take it to the AD. You can try posting pics of the watch and I am sure a lot of experienced members here can help you out
    Are you watching closely?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog:
    http://watchesindia.blogspot.com/
    Instagram: @crazystrobist

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

*Double post*
    Last edited by crazyfingers; September 10th, 2009 at 22:50. Reason: double post
    Are you watching closely?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog:
    http://watchesindia.blogspot.com/
    Instagram: @crazystrobist

Welcome to the forum, and the most common advice here for buying from forum members is to "buy the seller", meaning do your research and inquiries on particular sellers. If you buy a pre-owned watch from an AD you should be OK too (I know Topper Jewelers, for instance, posts the occasional pre-owned watch).

Even when buying new over the internet it's a good idea to do inquiries. I was in the market for a rather expensive watch, and posted an inquiry. The seller's policies and lack of positive feedback from members here made me feel uneasy about spending a large amount with that seller, so I'll probably buy from a higher-priced alternative that I feel better about.

-s-
    Vegas, baby!

beshannon

Quote Originally Posted by bouloi75 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty new here and pretty new with watch as well, but I can't resist now to spend plenty of time connected to this forum (and some others).
    As I said I'm pretty new, so please forgive me if I'm asking "stupid" questions

Now I want to buy a watch and big question...what to look for when buying a pre-owned watch?
    What are the most important questions to ask a seller?
    How to be "sure" the watch is authentic? Is it something common to go with the seller to an AD or expert to authenticate the watch? ...
    Thanks for any information
    You will hear the term "buy the seller" often. Why is the person selling? Do they have references? How complete is the package, box, papers?

In reality the only way to authenticate a watch is to buy it from an authorized dealer in the first place or open it and check the movement.

A good starting point is to do some research on the seller here: https://forums.watchuseek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63

By the number of posts, I don't think this is utilized enough by us members! But I could be wrong! After every transaction I make, I contact the other person to post comments about our deal...

Also check out the scammers alert thread in that section.

What's the feedback on the seller been (if any)?

I tend to also look at the # of posts the seller has as a guide. Obviously it's not always the case, but the more posts they have, the better I personally feel!

I'll also see if they have sold anything else, and what, how many... If this is the guy's 3rd post and his first watch sold I'll be cautious!

But if he/she has sold 20 watches, or has a few hundred/thousand posts I'll feel more comfortable.

Another good tip is to get the seller to set the watch to a specific time You pick and get him to write something (like your name) on paper behind the watch and take a picture of it. That way you know the seller actually has the watch in their possession and not just taking pics of it off the net...

I always pay though PayPal and with my credit card. That way if I am scammed, I have two forms of backup. PayPal I’m pretty sure is useless, but Visa shouldn't be!

Other than that, make sure you get really, clear, crisp pictures of the watch before you commit to buy.

I once bought an Orient on here from a guy who stated the watch was in 90% condition with just a few minor hairline scratches and only worn a few times. The pictures he sent to me were blurry so hard to see the details.

I bought the watch anyways and when I got it, I would have rated it at about 75%. There was a gouge, not a scratch, in the bezel that was through the paint and down to the metal!

He ended up refunding me the money and I sent the watch back to him, so overall it only cost me some exchange rate, and shipping ($25 total maybe).

It wasn't a bad experience and the seller was Awesome about it! I would buy from that guy again (but making sure I know what I'm getting first next time!)

But no matter how careful you are, there is always the chance something bad can/will happen!

Good luck!

Jay
    Last edited by JAYMAC10; September 11th, 2009 at 17:31.

Suspended

coouple of quick thoughts

1) 100% agree buy the seller...in a past collecting life (vintage baseball cards) a seller could clean up the frayed edges and corners with a razor/x-acto blade to give the card a more pristine look. This "trimming" was/is a big no-no and if even the card looks great check feedback and use the fourm as a reference check

2) reference checks and feedback as a guide: take me for example, I'm a fairly new guy here but you don't know me from Adam, right? Again, in a past collecting life (high end tour/custom putters) if I were new to the particualr forum, I would post my feedback and and screen name from other forums for reference. that way the potential buyer or seller would have at least other people's view of me even if it was from a different forum.

welcome and enjoy yor time here

RMM
    Last edited by rockmastermike; September 11th, 2009 at 17:50. Reason: spelling

Thread Information