WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Buying the exact same watch twice...

1K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  bigvatch 
#1 ·
So i picked up this swiss automatic (will tell brand later), very rare hand / date combo with a leather band and it came in the mail running super fast. Cost to service was $400 and 3 months of waiting. I had it around for a few months, and decided to sell it on ebay, losing $600 in the sale from what I paid.

Now heres where it gets tricky. This guy buys the watch, and I ship it, but he wants a refund while its in the mail, since I mailed it 2 days too late to be given as a gift. So i refund it thinking he will send the watch back, but never does. So i email him to send it back after refund cleared, no reply. Its gone, nothing I can do (tried reporting thru paypal, nothing)

A year and a half later, its up on ebay for cheap. I miss it, and I think Im going to buy it back. Pics in a week...

#5 · (Edited)
Damn.

I read a story on here once about a guy getting his same exact watch back and paying for it twice also.

I forgot where I read it though.

I think he sold it on eBay, and later realized he still liked the watch, and it was passed around by different people selling it to each other, and it eventually got back to him again.

#10 ·
If you feel that nonchalantly about it, buy it and enjoy it. Losing that much money or being made a fool of may not mean as much to you as it does to others.

I would have gone to hell and back to prosecute to the fullest extent of the law if someone ripped me off like that. If the law couldn't do anything, I would certainly buy the watch back only to get the criminals address and information so I could show up at his door and even things up a bit. But that's just me.

#12 ·
PERSONALLY,

no freaking way would I pay the thief that stole it from me to get it back! In fact, I wouldn't rest until I either got the watch back for free (since it is effectively still MINE) or until I received payment for the initial sale.

That's crap.....don't pay someone to get your own stuff back.

Reactions: casablancawatch
#14 ·
So i picked up this swiss automatic (will tell brand later), very rare hand / date combo with a leather band and it came in the mail running super fast. Cost to service was $400 and 3 months of waiting. I had it around for a few months, and decided to sell it on ebay, losing $600 in the sale from what I paid.

Now here's where it gets tricky. This guy buys the watch, and I ship it, but he wants a refund while its in the mail, since I mailed it 2 days too late to be given as a gift. So i refund it thinking he will send the watch back, but never does. So i email him to send it back after refund cleared, no reply. Its gone, nothing I can do (tried reporting thru paypal, nothing)

A year and a half later, its up on ebay for cheap. I miss it, and I think Im going to buy it back. Pics in a week...
1) Is the seller ID the same as the buyer that scammed you? If not.....same location?

2) I would recommend getting to know every detail of Paypal's buyer protection policy, and being and meeting all requirements , if you plan use a paypal acct and not want to get scammed more than once.

3) Do you mind if I ask, you have some kind of 'plan'? |> say....if once the watch is delivered, you file a paypal dispute, paypal would then immediately attempt to take back and HOLD the funds from the seller ....until a settlement can be somehow reached or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.