Buying military that watches that have been used in service when you have never served
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Buying military that watches that have been used in service when you have never served

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Banned

Buying military that watches that have been used in service when you have never served

What are your opinions on this? I mean does it feel a bit weird to be wearing a watch that was actually used in service when you yourself have never done any military service yourself? I'm not saying it's a crime or anything absurd but I don't think I'd feel right, like those watches are meant for people who've actually served.

Re: Buying military that watches that have been used in service when you have never served

At the end of the day, it's just a watch, a tool or a jewel. How you use it or whether you use it is up to you.

I wear diver's watches and I can't swim. Doesn't stop me and I don't feel ashamed for doing so, just poorer -- as with all watch purchases.
    synaptyx, ShaggyDog and Robotaz like this.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Re: Buying military that watches that have been used in service when you have never served

They do nothing for me and besides I was wearing my Lucien Piccard while I was serving.
    dbostedo likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

No.

Why should someone feel ashamed?

Nothing to be ashamed of. It's just a certain kind of history attached to the watch.

In my world of competitive shooting, a great deal of military-style clothing and accoutrements appears on the bodies of what we call "gunshop commandos." Multi-gadget watches are part of their image. None of them have heard a shot fired in anger, and nobody who has takes them seriously. Not that I recommend it, nor would I seek that environment again, but it does focus your attention on what is real and what you need. In my day, I bought a Rolex. Now, I would take a flat, solar G-Shock..
    Squirrelly likes this.

Wearing various tool watches is like the ultimate Walter Mitty accessory. To wit: "I'm not an astronaut, but I feel like one when I am tooling around the cubicle farm with my Omega Speedmaster"; or "I don't own a Ferrari, but I have a chronograph with a Ferrari logo".

Collecting military watches is like one of the most popular subgenres in this hobby and I seriously doubt half the people who collect such things served in any branch of the armed services.

In other words, no big deal.

Personally, I would never wear a watch that said "Seal Team" or Delta Force" on the dial (or some emblem/shield/logo of some military unit). I have no connection with the military so I would feel a bit silly. But, I do like the utilitarian no nonsense look of plenty of military watches, especially the vintage stuff.
    eerfmuidos likes this.

Plenty of people collect military issue items, it is history to them. A watch is one of the things you CAN wear without "saying" you served. Although I was in the military I have owned and worn watches in the past that were from wars/units/countries I never had any direct connection to. If they float your boat there is NOTHING wrong with it. How many people that wear a WWI trench watch have any direct connection to the great war?

If the watch were in some sense part of a military uniform, I wouldn't wear it (and wouldn't be cool with others wearing it). But, it's not. It's a watch, that happens to have been used by someone in service.

If I could get an astronaut's watch, I wouldn't think "I can't wear this; I was never an astronaut." In fact, I think my response would be more like, "This is so cool. An astronaut used to own this."
    Dave0944 and chasecj7 like this.

lvt

It's like you are wearing a diamond ring while you have never been a miner.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information