Buying My First High(ish)-End Watch.

Thread: Buying My First High(ish)-End Watch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Buying My First High(ish)-End Watch.

Four months ago, the thought of buying a nice watch never would have entered my mind. However, after working with and learning about watches, I've become quite intrigued by their workings and have really developed an interest in starting a small collection--not to mention, a watch is an intergral part of my work routine and I figure that I might as well have a good one...or six . Unfortunately, I'm not a very descisive person and I'm hoping some outside influence form some more experienced people than mysely can help. As much as I'd love to have a Breitling Cosmonaute or Datora, I'm just not in a position to spend that much money (for now, at least). Right now, my budget is ~$1500 but I may be able to go a bit higher if neccesary. As far as the watch itself, I'd like an automatic with few, if any, complications--a simple time/date display will do nicely. The two watches I find myself coming back to are the TAG Carrera and the Omega Seamaster 300M Chronometer. Does anyone have any *objective* input on these two peices? Is there something tht may fit me better?

Re: Buying My First High(ish)-End Watch.

I personally think that the Breitling Superocean is a very nice looking watch. It is pretty basic in terms of not having any complications. I've seen them listed on the net for around $1800-1900. I'm not sure if they are a lot or little bit more at an actual authorized retailer, which is where I'd certainly want to get one so I have a valid warranty and all. A little more than what you've specified, but a very nice looking watch. Breitling's Colt Automatic is even a bit cheaper, around $1600 online, another very nice basic model.

Both are a bit more than $1500, but not by too much and would be choices to look into. I really look forward to the day when I'm into a career type job and can finally buy a Breitling that'll last me for years.

I also think the Fortis B-42 looks great and falls into the price range you've specified. -

http://www.fortis-watch.com/en/colle..._6471011m.html

From an objective standpoint, both an Omega Seamaster or Tag Heuer Carrera as basic models will serve you well as far as quality goes. That said, though a very attractive model, it seems that everyone on the planet who owns a more high-end watch owns a Seamaster. Just my personal opinion, but if I were going to lay down that much money for a watch, I'd want to steer clear of the super common choices like that or a Submariner. The Tag Carrera's are great looking basic watches, if you like the stylings of that one it would be a good choice.

Not sure of all your criteria but have you considered the Ocean 7 line or DOXA? DOXA are a bit over your limit but a practically new one would be in your range and still have warraty.

Ocean 7 has some very attractively priced watches with great build quality. Range from $500 - $1500 with the norm being $700-800. I really like mine and find them to have great 'presence'.

paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doxa 600T Clive Cussler edition
    Breitling Superocean A17345
    Omega 2531.80
    RGM Sea3 Custom
    Ocean 7 LM3 #119

VINTAGE :

Zodiac Astrographic 2000
    Zodiac Sea Wolf(1964)
    LeCoultre Master Mariner (1970)
    Hamilton Thinmatic (1968)

Place of honor:

my '80's Seiko 5 which has been through the mill and still runs and tell adequate time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by aceproceed View Post
    I personally think that the Breitling Superocean is a very nice looking watch. It is pretty basic in terms of not having any complications. I've seen them listed on the net for around $1800-1900. I'm not sure if they are a lot or little bit more at an actual authorized retailer
    That's not bad - they list at $2,500 or thereabouts, excluding government sales tax levies. I probably wouldn't bother with online, though - US dealers routinely discount healthily.

It seems that you're eyeing some pretty nice watches. Either the Breitling or Tag would suit you just fine. If you're open to them, why don't you check out some of the "boutique" watches that have been coming out such as the Ocean 7 or the Enzo for example. These watches give you a good bang for your buck and certainly fall in your price range.

I've owned my fair share of "commercial" high-end watches and there's certainly nothing wrong with wanting to own one of them but if you're looking for value as well as uniqueness then a lesser known boutique brand would be the way to go IMHO.

Whatever you decide to get wear it in good health.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine86 View Post
    The two watches I find myself coming back to are the TAG Carrera and the Omega Seamaster 300M Chronometer. Does anyone have any *objective* input on these two peices? Is there something tht may fit me better?
    They're both nice watches, but a bit of a predictable choice. Why not think outside the box and go for something slightly more unusual? There are so many options in that price category from other makers eg Sinn, Glycine, Fortis, Damasko, Oris etc. Take your time, weigh up all the options and then if the TAG or Omega are still top of your list, go for it!
    Last edited by uktrailmonster; November 29th, 2007 at 22:21.
    Omega Speedmaster Pro X-33
    Omega Speedmaster Professional
    Omega Speedmaster Date Automatic
    Girard-Perregaux Traveller II
    Glycine Airman 18
    Sturmanskie 3133
    Oris WF1
    Casio G-Shock GW-M5600BC-1ER

"I started off with nothing and I've still got most of it left"

Well, in an odd but incredibly fortunate twist of fate, I ended up pulling the trigger on a Carrera Chronograph Tachymeter. The price tag read $2455 but , when all was said and done, it only cost me $1669...I couldn't very well argue with that. With that said, I do still value the advice that you all have given me as it has broadened my horizons for future purchases. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by uktrailmonster View Post
    They're both nice watches, but a bit of a predictable choice. Why not think outside the box and go for something slightly more unusual? There are so many options in that price category from other makers eg Sinn, Glycine, Fortis, Damasko, Oris etc. Take your time, weigh up all the options and then if the TAG or Omega are still top of your list, go for it!
    Unfortunately, with nearly every dealer on-island, the selection is limited to more well-known makers (TAG Heuer, Omega, and Rolex. There is one Breitling dealer and one Panerai).

Sunshine, my advice would be TAKE YOUR TIME.

I was where you were about 10 years ago. Several things I remember when I realized that I wanted a good swiss automatic watch. First, my tastes changed very rapidly and pationately when I first started looking for a watch. Tag watches grabbed my attention first. Then the flood gates opened and I was "sold" on a different watch just about every week. I took my time and finally settled on a Seamaster Pro Chronograh, which I still wear as my daily watch to this day.

There was so much to learn about the various different brands, the movements, style, the cases, value, etc. TAKE YOUR TIME.

Funny, I am the same^. Tag had my infrequent attention for years; wasn't going to buy, but liked the look. My interest developed over the last year or so, and Tag quickly fell by the wayside, for Omega, for currently Fortis as my grail, with Stowa and Ocean7 being more realistic.

If you are looking at toolish watches, you might want to check out Sinn's offerings too.
    Check out my free electonic music at:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=193802

Visit www.myspace.com/taiwanscoliosis for information about scoliosis.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information