buying my first watch! help me

Thread: buying my first watch! help me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

buying my first watch! help me

So i have decided to buy my first watch ever and wanted to go for something good but not expensive, and to be honest the timex watches really caught my eye.
    I looked in their official site but unfortunately they do not ship to my country so i searched through ebay and found 2 watches.
    first: Timex weekender chronograph TW2P62100
    second: Timex weekender chronograph TW2P62300
    sadly i cannot post a link to the items on ebay since I'm new to the forums, so i wanted to ask you guys which watch is "better" and how can i verify that they are not fake?

p.s: if you got any tips on how to pick a watch I'm more than happy to listen!

Re: buying my first watch! help me

The 2100 looks more appealing to me.

And I think that it would be better if you mention your watch budget and preferences (mov't, style, etc.) so the experts here can give you their opinion on which watch to pick within the set range.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply!
    I'm willing to spend up to 110$ maybe 120$ since I'm a student and short on cash... I want it to be analog, stylish and simple

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Casio mdv for quartz or seiko snk for automatic will be my preferred watch within that range. Well below 100 price range, analog and simple although not being as stylish as the weekender in my opinion.

and why do you prefer them if they are not more stylish? is it quality? or functionality?

Quote Originally Posted by Raeed View Post
    Thanks for the reply!
    I'm willing to spend up to 110$ maybe 120$ since I'm a student and short on cash... I want it to be analog, stylish and simple
    You should send some time browsing Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. Tons of great watches for cheap. That's how I got started. Good luck!

and why do you prefer them if they are not more stylish? is it quality? or functionality?
    Built quality, functionality, versatility, brand and price are the aspect i think of when choosing watches.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Brown View Post
    You should send some time browsing Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. Tons of great watches for cheap. That's how I got started. Good luck!
    And seek for advises from the experts here in WUS and or any other watch experts for second opinion.

I'm not a big fan of Timex so be warned.

over $100 USD is far too much for either Weekender chronograph. We buy them for $50-80, and that's more indicative of their quality.

The cases are coated brass where the Casio and Seiko are Stainless Steel and will hold up better to scratches and sweat. I tried buying a variant of that weekender once (blue dial but a different strap). While that movement (mechanism) is one of the best cheap chronographs, the one I got was defective. I honestly think it's pretty hard to do a really decent chronograph much below $100 USD and buying off of eBay is risky for Timex. IMHO you want to inspect the specific watch you get with that brand and make sure that specific one doesn't have defects. Any purchase where it's hard to send back would be IMHO a little risky.

I'd also note that the Weekender straps don't fit up to the standard ~8 inches/21cm that most every other watch fits. They only fit wrists to about 7.5 inches/19cm. It's replaceable very easily but that's another expense.

With the other two suggested, note that the Casio is on the slightly large side of average for a dive watch, while that Seiko 5 is very small for a modern watch. You might want to think about sizing and whether you prefer large or small. That Timex is 40mm, so generally speaking a more safe size for most wrists large-to-small. Also note that the Casio is quartz with a battery while the Seiko is an automatic, mechanical watch. It works by winding and releasing a spring and if you leave it sitting for 2 days or more it will stop and lose time. That's a big bonus for us watch nerds because it's more interesting, ticks smoothly, gives us more excuses to interact with the watch, etc. but it may or may not be what you're expecting. On the plus side it won't require a battery, but at some point-- probably long after you've gotten your $80 worth of value out of it-- the mechanism will need replacement. The current parts cost for that is about $40 USD + labor. Balancing that against the cost of battery replacements every 2 years, it's probably not going to be significantly different in terms of total ownership cost for any of them.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

The Bay scares me stiff and I don‘t care who knows it. The Timex are both nice (I prefer the 2100 BTW) but I’d rather sink my cash into a Seiko.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information