Buying my first watch and need help...

Thread: Buying my first watch and need help...

Buying my first watch and need help...

Hello all. This is my first post and I did a search on "first watch" and did not find a similar thread, to my surprise. If you think there is a thread please shoot me the link and I can take this down as I don't want to duplicate.

I'm currently in the process of buying my first legitimate watch and looking for opinions, guidance, help, etc. To date I have been reading mostly articles in AskMen, yes the Watch Snob, so I'm happy that I have found this forum of educated watch enthusiast and pros.

I'm sort of all over the board as spending decent money on a watch is a new concept to me but one I'm excited about. While I could afford to spend $10k (wife may differ) plus on a watch I find that to be a very hard concept to digest for my first watch. I want to make sure my watch fascination sticks around and then maybe the collection will begin. With that said, I would like to stay around the $3k mark but would totally be open to finding great value at a price tag well below.

I'm looking for a watch in the size range of 39mm-42mm (I used to like bigger watches but son't want my first watch purchase to be too trendy), round, has time and date, would love an in-house movement vs. ETA (not sure why), reserve power, a watch that is not ultra sporty or ultra dressy as I want something that could be a daily watch, debating between a black or white dial and that is all I can conjur up at this moment. Here are some watches that hae caught my eyes, some are obviosuly out of the $3k range and most are brands I have read on AskMen so I know I'm missing some great brands in my consideration set, hoping you all can help expand the list.

Zenith El Primer Striking 10th
    Zenith Captain Central Second
    Xetum Stinson or Tyndall
    JLC Deep Sea Vintage (in a heart beat if money was no object, love the looks of this watch)
    Glasshutte Original (Sixties, Chronometer)
    Muhle 29er

Hopefully this gives a sense of what I find to be an attractive watch aesthetically.

I would also love the forums point of view on buying new vs. used. I have been looking at vintage watches online (mainly eBay) and while there are some good looking watches most of the vintage watches tend to be smaller than the 40mm range.

Any replies would be invaluable. Thanks in advance.

Re: Buying my first watch and need help...

glashutte, zenith, JLC....seriously cannot go wrong with a watch from any of these companies, they all make gorgeous pieces in-house....as far as specific model I cannot help as I prefer the 42mm+ range and my personal faves are over 3k...good luck

If however I was in your posistion with the ability to go higher, this is what I would take: Glashutte Original Sport Evolution Panorama Date Watch Review - YouTube almost 8k even on grey market though
    Last edited by mngambler; January 30th, 2012 at 00:53.

Quote Originally Posted by trlengle View Post
    would love an in-house movement vs. ETA (not sure why),

Welcome!!! First thing, about the quote above, your "not sure why" addition means, IMHO, you shouldn't even give in-house two thoughts. Food for thought. ETA is cheaper to maintain and service, has fantastic accuracy, and is relatively durable. So...

Let's get to recommendations!

Longines Column Wheel Record Chrono. 42mm. Longines L688.2 movement (in-house). $3200 MSRP.

Attachment 615401

Raymond Weil Freelancer Chrono. 42mm. Val 7750. Best Raymond IMO, and very well finished. $2900 MSRP.

Attachment 615402

Tissot Le Locle Chronograph. ETA. $1495 MSRP.

Hamilton Jazzmaster Chrono. 7753 movement. $1700 MSRP. Discontinued, but still found at ADs.

Montblanc Star 4810 in SS. A modified 7750. White dial. Stunning dial detail. 43mm. Rare, particularly compared to Rolex and Omega. $4900 MSRP. $3200 grey market.

Several more are in my head, but those may be some to get you started.

Good Luck!

Grail: Montblanc Villeret Tachydate Monopusher

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you. I can't get the attachments to work but I will cut and paste into Bing to see what I can find. I look forward to more opinions and input.

Any other comments or suggestions? At this point I think I'm leaning towards the Muhle 29er Big with a black dial and a alligator leather strap with butterfly clasp...the one they use on the Germanika.

Quote Originally Posted by trlengle View Post
    Any other comments or suggestions? At this point I think I'm leaning towards the Muhle 29er Big with a black dial and a alligator leather strap with butterfly clasp...the one they use on the Germanika.
    This one?

Grail: Montblanc Villeret Tachydate Monopusher

I'm going with the non-chrono, leaning towards a simpler look...chrono will probably be watch #2.

Nice!! What are you leaning towards?

The 29er big w/out chrono. Waiting to hear from the AD to see if he can get the croc strap I want.

Thread Information