Is buying a Patek Nautilus in the next 4 years rediculous?!
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Is buying a Patek Nautilus in the next 4 years rediculous?!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Is buying a Patek Nautilus in the next 4 years rediculous?!

Hello everyone,
    I've been watching these forms for a while and have a question that I need your thoughts on. So I am 31 and have been working professionally for a while and was thinking of making a savings account that takes $250 from my check once a week, and around four years from now I would be able to buy the day, date, month Nautilus https://www.patek.com/en/mens-watche...ilus/5726A-001 that I have as my dream watch. Right now I have a Just Date stainless that I really like, but eventually this is THE ONE that I really want (besides the platinum day/date 2, which is so close to what I have and coast an additional $20,000 so not really as nice of an option for me) I've been living in Brooklyn for the last 8 years and sold my car when I got here as it was not needed and try to rationalize this decision as it being like a purchase in place of a car. But my smart sister who is very good with money says its better to put it towards a house or just save it for something actually important. Please let me know what you guys are thinking or if you have had similar situations and what you did and how it worked out. Let me know if you need any additional info.

thank you!

Droseph

Re: Is buying a Patek Nautilus in the next 4 years rediculous?!

I would personally say it's better to put it towards a house. You'll have plenty of time to save up for a watch later in life but putting money into property early in life makes sense if you can do it.

That's just my opinion though.

Perhaps the best thing to do it to carry on with the savings plan as it is, and in 4 years time see if you still think that the Nautilus is the best thing to spend the money on. If it is, so be it.
    ghombo likes this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Four years from now your life might be very different! Not sure if your thinking of a family, but it's a hell of a game changer. Between 30 and 34, I got married, bought a car, bought an apartment, bought a second car, sold the apartment, bought a house and had a kid! Great times and the watch I was wearing had nothing to do with it. Save up and see what happens in four years. If you are, however, going to go big, you couldn't do much better than the Nautilus.
    Bronte, CRetzloff and henrikw like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Listen to you sister...set your priorities, you can't live in your watch.

Normally, I'd say buy what makes you happy, but in this case - it's not like you have some extra money laying around that can be spent on Patek.
    If you have to save aggressively - there may be better places to put that money - housing (Brooklyn real estate has been skyrocketing), investments, etc...
    As others said - 4 years is a very long time and a lot can happen. If after 4 years your situation is such that you can get the Patek without much issue - can always do it then.

These are luxury watches, and in my view - luxury should be purchased with spare funds. Anytime I see threads about people taking out credit, or raiding 401k, or foregoing vacation to buy a watch - it's just sad.

If you are that young, wearing a Patek Philippe isn't going to change your life.

Also if you happen to go around by feet on NY streets, or to just meet normal people (not super riches in Manhattan attics), a Patek would be like a flashing light telling everybody you are a young, inexpert, and gullible "boy"...no offence here, I happen to have your same age and see how in my professional life I'm taken as an underdog for my age.
    Wearing any 2k watch or more would impress only shallow and malicious people, just settle for the watch you like and save money for the future, you might need them sooner than you think.

The only reason to buy that watch would be money investment, but you should try to invest in more rewarding stuff, like stocks or bonds. Watches are sort of money pit.

Am I understanding correctly that you already have a Nautilus that is very similar? Maybe sell that one?

Quote Originally Posted by Seaswirl View Post
    Four years from now your life might be very different! Not sure if your thinking of a family, but it's a hell of a game changer. Between 30 and 34, I got married, bought a car, bought an apartment, bought a second car, sold the apartment, bought a house and had a kid! Great times and the watch I was wearing had nothing to do with it. Save up and see what happens in four years. If you are, however, going to go big, you couldn't do much better than the Nautilus.
    Wha...? The watch didnt help you pull? I've been lied to!

Actually OP, none of us here have any idea about your financial situation and how much you make, etc. and whether the $1000 per month that you set aside is going to be a big deal or not.

Look at it this way - if you were to spent that kind of money on a car, no one would think twice. If the Nautilus makes you happy and doesnt put a wrench in the rest of your life, go for it. You have 4 years before you pull the trigger - and by then, you'll have a better idea of how life is treating you, and whether that $48,000 is going to be better put to some other use.

Interestingly, I've been contemplating getting a Nautilus 5711 as well. I'm a bit older than you and while I could, in principle, write a check for one if i wanted to, that watch is overkill given my lifestyle (I go weeks without wearing shoes, I wear pants maybe 20-30 days a year) - as such, I cannot justify the cost/benefit of a direct purchase. As such, I've decided to cut down on some fripperies, set aside a little every month and spread the cost of the watch over a couple of years. For some reason, getting the funds out of my general expenses makes it a little easier to justify :)
    Core: ALS 1815 Up/Down, AP RO, Breguet Marine, Blancpain FF MilSpec, JLC Master Geo, GO Panomatic, Rolex BLRO, Panerai 688, Rolex Exp2 polar, Cartier Santos XL ADLC, Zenith El Primero tricolor, [Empty Slot]
    Secondary: Oris Brashear chrono, Oris 65/42 blue, Oris 65/42 green, Oris 65/40mm, Oris 65 bronze, Rado Capt Cook LE, Seiko Prospex Padi, Doxa 1200T Pro
    Others
    :Tissot T-Touch Expert, Swatch S51, Seagull 1963, Sturmanskie Yuri Gagarin, Fortis Marine Master, G-Shock GMW-B500
    FS: Seiko Orange Monster Gen2, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard, Squale Milsub
    Gone: Tudor Chrono Heritage, Hamilton Khaki Field, B&R03-92, Seiko SKX007, Orient Sun&Moon, Seagull M172S, Rado Vintage Diver, Hamilton Pan Europ, Orient Mako, Meistersinger Pangaea, IWC Aquatimer, PAM 24, JR Aquascope, Tudor BB Black, Longines Legend Diver, PAM 241, Bernhardt Anchor3, WUS GMT watch, Damasko DB2, Helson Shark Diver, Seiko 5, Ventus Mori Brass, Glycine Airman, Eterna Kon-Tiki, Zelos Gallant, Sinn 103 A sa B

Thanks for the advice guys! I think I will just set up the savings in my hi-yield account and just let that sit. I bet by then I will use it for something more important. Right now I have a Date/Just II stainless which I really like and in all reality I don't need another watch. I still have more other savings and 401K so I thought a savings for this isn't the worst thing. Really though, until I buy a house or condo or whatever and have at least one kid I should probably not go for the watch. No matter how perfect it is! I still want to add to the collection I have and I was looking at the Omega Dark Side of the Moon. But at the same time I go to a lot of meetings and its not really nice for those. I feel like that Patek is great for all situations I'm in and style wise I can see it being on my wrist until its passed down one day.
    NathanielGoodtimes likes this.

I enjoy going to Brooklyn and eating at Peter Luger. This being stated, IMO, a Patek living in Brooklyn may be a security issue. This might be something to consider.
    Before you think about buying a watch winder from Wolf Designs ask me why you should not.

I have to stop saying, " How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information