Buying and reselling watches on eBay: how difficult is it to make a profit?
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Buying and reselling watches on eBay: how difficult is it to make a profit?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Question Buying and reselling watches on eBay: how difficult is it to make a profit?

I'm in need of lots of cash to fund my medical study. I have no access to public funds and bank loans won't help much- so I'm thinking of buying and reselling watches on eBay as a supplement to my full-time job.

Do you guys think the eBay watch business is worth trying?
    Last edited by cmatrix; January 24th, 2015 at 00:30.

Re: Buying and reselling watches on eBay: how difficult is it to make a profit?

no, really hard to make a profit, especially with ebay and paypal fees of about 15%.
    cmatrix, rfortson and bigkeeko like this.

is this a troll thread? and no don't do it.
    cmatrix likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nope. 10 years ago maybe, but now everyone is looking for a bargain so chances are you won't find any. You might see the odd one and get a good deal on it, but once you've paid for shipping and then need to factor in ebay and PayPal fees into your resale price you'll really need to consistently be able to sell at 30% higher than you buy to make even the smallest profit.

It can be done if you really look out for the right watches and the right deals, but to be honest it's far easier getting a low paying part time job.
    broudie and cmatrix like this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by cmatrix View Post

Do you guys think the eBay watch business is worth trying?

No
    Jackson Filth and cmatrix like this.

just my 3 cents, or whatever the dollar exchange rate is now,

1. Do you have a lot of free time?
    A) No, then stop
    B) Yes, then go to question 2
    C) No, but I can hire a team to do this for me, then go to question 2

2. Do you have a huge startup capital?
    A) No, then stop
    B) Yes, then onto question 3

3. Do you have a watch source?
    A) No, then stop
    B) Yes, off to 4

4. Do you have access to a good watchmaker who will do his/her work cheap for you?
    A) No ... can still be done, but how are you going to handle returned watches that need fixing?
    B) Yes, off to 5

5. How are you with managing a business? One slip up with eBay can be very, very costly (as in eBay freezing your account leaving you with tens of thousands of dollars of stock with no way to move them for profit)

If you are interested in selling watches for profit and you have no eBay account or a new eBay account, this is how I would go about doing it: be a middleman.
    Know someone in the retail industry (an AD would be great), work out a commission base work with the AD or see if you can get a deep discount from the AD (30-50%) and turn that into a profit by re-selling it. But I would do it outside of eBay.

The business of selling on eBay can be a 10hr/7 days a week job ... and you being a medical student ... unless you have the time, I wouldn't consider it.

This is speaking from experience, I've worked with several people/shops in Korea and L.A. who were or starting in the watch industry, unless you have the time, the money and the passion (about watches and about dealing with people) ... it can be very, very tough.

And that warning about slipping up in eBay, I've seen it happened a few times, accounts being closed or frozen because they (knowingly/unknowingly) break eBay's rules - and it can be crushing when your primary source of sales is suddenly not available.

It can be done, profitting off eBay on watches, but man ... too risky and it takes a lot of work. Personally I would not recommend it.
    Last edited by ari.seoul; January 24th, 2015 at 01:17.

Banned

High horology here.
    cmatrix likes this.

Also, remember with the recent PayPal TOS change a buyer has 6 months to change their mind and start a dispute. A dispute that in all likelihood you will lose as the seller. With the sheer volume of scammers out there in eBay, it's not only hard to turn a profit, it's getting harder and harder to keep them once their in your account.
    cmatrix likes this.

You are getting some very good advice here for free. Put your head down and get that Medical Degree. As a Physician you will have the earning power to repay any student loans that you take out to fund the education. It is difficult to make money with EBAY reselling at the levels you will require.
    I have a son in his third year of Medical school here in the states and I know what kind of debt load he will have when he graduates. Not sure how it works in England but I thought I had heard that many medical school students had highly subsidized educations? Good luck with your endeavor.
    Kevin
    cmatrix likes this.

Sell Invictas at a 50% discount, you'll still make tons of money
    cmatrix likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information