Buying from the states

Thread: Buying from the states

Buying from the states

Hello,I've been hanging around for a few weeks enjoying all the different topics and forums and have finally decided to go for it and hopefully buy a Rolex Sub my first on-line purchase.
    I've seen one on the TZ sales but really am unsure of how to go about it!!
    I would greatly appreciate it if someone with previous experience could give me their valued advice,for example,
    1;The easiest way to make payment?
    2;Am I liable for tax? (its from a private seller)
    3;What should I be wary of?

I will thank anybody in advance if they could help me get my first on-line purchase.
    Glashutte Evo Sport
    Panerai 104
    IWC 3717
    Breitling Blackbird A44359
    Ocean7 LM1 #63

Re: Buying from the states

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNERS View Post
    Hello,I've been hanging around for a few weeks enjoying all the different topics and forums and have finally decided to go for it and hopefully buy a Rolex Sub my first on-line purchase.
    I've seen one on the TZ sales but really am unsure of how to go about it!!
    I would greatly appreciate it if someone with previous experience could give me their valued advice,for example,
    1;The easiest way to make payment?
    2;Am I liable for tax? (its from a private seller)
    3;What should I be wary of?

I will thank anybody in advance if they could help me get my first on-line purchase.

Hi there and good luck with the first purchase. I have bought and sold some stuff to the states over the years and for what its worth:::

1 I always use paypal, then you have some form of comeback if something goes wrong.
    2 Yes, and frankly, don't try and get out of it. you can ask teh seller to mark it as a gift or fudge the value of the parcel, but then if something goes wrong or the parcel is lost or damaged (this can be absolutely no fault of the seller) then you are in a world of hurt. Imagine losing a watch you have paid $1000 for which the courier has insured for $50 as that's what's stated on the package. Seriously not worth it. In most cases, even with the 17.5%, plus about £20 for admin, you still end up with a good deal.
    3. Simple. Do your homework. If its on one of the forums, then unless they are a complete newbie, then they should have some references or some feedback from the other users. Check the forums for a good and bad guys section, this will let you know unbiased views from other buyers.
    Always check the method of transit. Ask for a service with internet tracking, then you can put your mind at rest. Also there is tracking with the US postal service, but its crap and it is useless when the item leaves the states. I have sat and looked at a status page for a week, for the customs note to drop through my door when the online tracking is still telling me the item has left the US. Spring the extra for the better courier options. The good sellers are usually flexible enough to offer more than one choice of shipping.

Keep all this in mind and you should be safe enough. Finally trust your gut. Sometimes you just know its to good to be true. If its a fair deal, then that's one thing. If you are being offered a Rolex because they don't like it any more for $500, then think twice. Keeping an eye on other sales of a similar nature or doing a back dated check for other similar sales will give you good reference points. Don;t go by Ebay prices, if its from a forum seller, as these swing too far each way of a reasonable price.

My 2Cents.
    Regards

Colin

Omega Seamaster Pro COSC (Bond)
    Seiko 007 on various natos
    UK Military Divers 200M Quartz
    Seiko Kinetic Diver (Boss)

Breitling Forum Moderator SnapIT's Avatar

Hi Browners,
    Making your first purchase on line. Buying a rolex. Having it shipped from the USA. You have the triple whammy of risk there mate.
    Go to your local authorised dealer. Try on the watch you are trying to buy over the internet. Get to know it and your AD real well. Then buy it there.
    Do I sound one eyed? You bet.
    There are so many negatives about what you are going to attempt I can't imagine any responsible adviser just allowing you to leap in and take that sort of risk first off. Thats my two cents worth. I hope it gives you some perspective.
    Last edited by SnapIT; February 5th, 2007 at 21:55.
    Cheers,
    SnapIT

Seize the day, it ain't coming around again. . . .
    Click to check for the correct time around the world..

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for your replies guys,both have got very good points that I have given good thought to.......
    I'm not quite that new to buying watches I bought a rolex datejust from an AD 3 years ago and then last December I traded it in against the new Breitling Blackbird and gave my savings a bit of a hammering but well worth it, as it sits quite nicely against my Blackbird A13350.
    But I miss having a Rolex in my collection and I spotted a pristine Sub date 'Z' series on the TZ forum that really wetted my appetite,hence my first on-line buy! but the tax thing is a bit of a bummer and I'd like to save a few quid and buy used but mint.
    So looks like I'll be scouring the WUS sales and be keeping my money out of Her Majesty's coffers.

Thanks again guys you made my first post informing & enjoyable
    Glashutte Evo Sport
    Panerai 104
    IWC 3717
    Ocean7 LM1 #63

Breitling Forum Moderator SnapIT's Avatar

Hi Browners,
    I wear a Blackbird[A13050.1] also so I know you have great taste in watches.
    Good luck with your hunt.
    Cheers,
    SnapIT

Seize the day, it ain't coming around again. . . .
    Click to check for the correct time around the world..

Breitling has always been my :goldluv and i ain't seen nothing yet to change my mind.But I must admit a Rolex gives it a very good chase, so hopefully I can get one back in my collection soon.
    And then on to my Grail...... A Bluebird!!!
    Glashutte Evo Sport
    Panerai 104
    IWC 3717
    Ocean7 LM1 #63

Thread Information