Buying used watches without papers or box
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Buying used watches without papers or box

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Buying used watches without papers or box

While it may be obvious to others, wanted to hear from others why some watches are sold without boxes or papers.

Personally, I never throw anything away for many reasons. I would think for some higher end watches it would make sense to keep everything but everyone is different.

I recently purchased a Panerai 422 used on Chrono. Was from a US seller but came only with the inner box. There were no papers as well. For as best as I can see the watch is legit based on posts I’ve found but who knows.

It just got me to think about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Buying used watches without papers or box

I'm sure a lot of people just miss place them. I've bought pre owned watches from people who couldn't find the spare links they took out when they bought it. Knock offs usually come with a box anyway.

Nobody knows until a watch maker who's familiar with Panerai pops off that case back. Panerai are one of the most faked watch brands in the world especially since some use an ETA movement it can be hard to tell.
    CaptainCustard and ffritz like this.

Grey market purchases often don't have papers. And some people think they will never sell a watch so they don't bother keeping the box and stuff. And then when they sell it makes the price lower without the set.

Personally I hate the boxes. If it wasn't necessary to keep them for resale purposes and value I would throw them all out. All they do is waste space in my closet and I see them 2x ever. As I'm going to take the watch out when I first get it. And when I package it up to sell. If it's a watch I'm keeping then I only ever see the box once.

Papers have value to me only if the manufacturer warranty is still active. Besides that... More junk that I only keep because others value it if I ever get rid of that watch.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    Minorcollector likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gohmdoree View Post
    While it may be obvious to others, wanted to hear from others why some watches are sold without boxes or papers. Personally, I never throw anything away for many reasons. I would think for some higher end watches it would make sense to keep everything but everyone is different. I recently purchased a Panerai 422 used on Chrono. Was from a US seller but came only with the inner box. There were no papers as well. For as best as I can see the watch is legit based on posts I’ve found but who knows. It just got me to think about this. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you want to know if your Panerai is real please make a thread at the Panerai forum. They are one of the most faked brands.
    CaptainCustard likes this.

Best to buy the seller first, then the watch.

The extras are not a deal breaker for me if the watch is good.
    cfracing, Dan T. and sillo38 like this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Extras are not a deal breaker but do represent a significant portion of the value of a watch. I've seen highly collectable pieces sell for 15-50% less due to lack of kit.

If you're going to buy only the watch:

1) Use an escrow service
    2) Get a really good deal compared to a full kit example

i wouldn't buy any modern rolex without papers.
    CaptainCustard likes this.

I just bought a Ulysse Nardin Marine Chronometer with the box but no papers. But I bought it from a reputable shop (Govberg) who is also a UN AD.

And when I sent the reference and movement number to UN, they wrote me back in a day telling me when it was first sold (2015).

I like getting the papers because the history interests me. But not everyone thinks to keep that stuff. It won’t keep me from buying a watch I otherwise want.

Rick “buy the seller” Denney
    Zenith: Captain Chronograph 03.2110.400*; Cartier: Santos 100 XL Concord: Mariner, C1 Big-Date, C1 v.2 Chronograph; Ebel: Chronosport 1134901, Tekton 9137L83*, Type E 9137C41* (*=COSC)
    Ebel: 1911 BTR 9137L73* and 9139L71*, 1911 1120L41*, 1911 Senior 9080241, Brasilias 9120M41 (2), Aquatica 500 9120K61, Classic Hexagon GMT 9301F61, Classic 100 LE 9120R41; Baume & Mercier: Capeland World-Timer
    Heuer: Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3110; Maurice Lacroix: Masterpiece MP6439; "Seagull": 1963 Reissue cal. ST19; Seiko: Black Monster SRP307; Poljot: Sturmanskie cal. 3133; Tissot: T-Touch Lew and Huey: Acciona
    Vintage: JLC: ref. 2953, ca. 1946; Longines: Flagship cal 285; Zodiac: SST cal. 86, Aerospace GMT cal. 72; Favre-Leuba: cal. 253; Tianjin: Dong Feng cal. ST5; Elgin: Gr. 152 (1898), Gr. 384 (1919); Ebel: ca. 1962 ref. 9214955
    WUS: ST5 Project Watches (Black and Blue), F72.2014.DG3804 (Gray and Cream); Swatch: Sistem 51 Blue; TNT: Rattrapante cal. Rochat 7750+RAT-1

Non WIS are not so anal as us when it comes to their time pieces.

My wife has a Rolex that she bought in Dubai from a dealer before I met her, has she got the box and papers??

Course not!! why would you keep an old watch box cluttering up the place!!

Would I buy a regularily faked watch without box and papers?? Not unless it was from a suitably reputable source, and discounted to reflect the missing items.
    fish70 likes this.
    " I am easily impressed by the best" - Winston Churchill.

"One cannot but admire the cold-bravery and enterprise of these Italians"
    Admiral Cunningham, referring to the frogmen of the M.A.S in WW2.

Thanks for all of the feedback and a lot just seems to be expected.

I am relatively new to this field so appreciate the teaching.

I will go ahead and post the piece on the Panerai forum as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information