Buying a watch from Europe and experienced disgusting USPS mess up
Like Tree224Likes

Thread: Buying a watch from Europe and experienced disgusting USPS mess up

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Buying a watch from Europe and experienced disgusting USPS mess up

I recently bought a watch from Georgia (europe country) and now I am experiencing the most disgusting experience through USPS I ever had.

The watch was shipped from Europe using priority express mail on Feb 14th, and it arrived at my location on Feb 26th. However, when I opened the package, the contents has been switched. The watch is gone... Instead a UVB lamp is in the package. I can only describe how shocked and disappointed I feel when I opened the package. I first thought it was a scam seller so I contacted the seller (Time Center from Georgia) immediately and he was in shock as well. The seller started an investigation involving Georgia post office, local police office immediately. Also I paid the watch using paypal so I was not too worried about being scammed after some time.

There is an invoice inside the package which shows the contact of the lamp buyer. So I contacted the lamp buyer and he is nice enough to provide me his tracking number for his purchase (which is a lamp bought from Lithuania)

Mar 2nd UPDATE: I just learned that the whole package I received has been swapped. My shipping label has been applied to a completely different box. The seller sent the watch in a hublot carton box with wooden box carrying the watch inside. The seller can send video proof of his delivery to me (he acquired it from his local post office under assistance of local police)

It turns out that his package is still in transit and tracking history show both our packages were in ISC new york from Feb 18 to Feb 23 and both our packages arrived at Jamaica, NY distribution center on Feb 23rd. It is highly suspected that our packages got swapped in new york or somewhere before getting to me. Since then, his package (which I suspect my watch is now in) shows "in transit to next facility" (a system automatically generated message when the package has not been scanned for some time) until Feb 26th. Since then, the package's tracking has not been changed.

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfi...097169LT%2C%2C

I tried to file a claim on the international package, but usps website shows the international tracking number is not acceptable for an international claim (makes no sense to me). I have to file a missing mail search request and opened a case through email for the search of the package. Until now, the usps person says they are "still searching for the package".

I am now speechless about USPS and I don't know what I am gonna do next.
    Name:  IMG_0982.JPG
Views: 292
Size:  589.5 KBName:  IMG_0985.JPG
Views: 312
Size:  428.4 KBName:  IMG_0987.JPG
Views: 310
Size:  498.8 KBName:  IMG_0988.JPG
Views: 304
Size:  504.4 KBName:  IMG_0986.JPG
Views: 299
Size:  573.1 KBName:  IMG_0983.JPG
Views: 291
Size:  667.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by yuhengdu; March 2nd, 2018 at 22:28.

Re: Buying a watch from Europe and experienced disgusting USPS mess up

Not sure I understand your recounting. Why would anyone switch the contents of the two boxes? Were there any signs of the box having been opened when you got it? If so, why didn't they just take the watch and leave a rock inside?

If not, then the guy in Georgia made the mistake of slapping the wrong shipping label on two boxes. Not that I've heard of many merchants selling both nice watches and UV lamps but maybe things are different in Georgia...

Still lots of questions here.
    MrCairo, priamo, cman1120 and 1 others like this.
    Well, I was standing on a corner in Winslow, AZ and Clara Oswald slowed down to take a look at me and my GS Tiffany SnowflakeTM...

Same, I have so many questions lol. Though I'm sure you do as well.

To be fair, the USPS is notorious for being terrible, esp. regarding packages. Ever watch Seinfeld? (See Newman)

Keep us updated and hopefully you get your watch soon and in one piece!

Quote Originally Posted by BigSeikoFan View Post
    Not sure I understand your recounting. Why would anyone switch the contents of the two boxes? Were there any signs of the box having been opened when you got it? If so, why didn't they just take the watch and leave a rock inside?

If not, then the guy in Georgia made the mistake of slapping the wrong shipping label on two boxes. Not that I've heard of many merchants selling both nice watches and UV lamps but maybe things are different in Georgia...

Instagram @_the_eleventh_hour_

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I am not saying this type of standard is acceptable but it is a pitfall for using Low cost courier service... having said that, I believe you will recover your watch eventually. The lamp buyer seems to be an honest fellow which is very reassuring. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Ball, Breitling, Omega, Rolex, Tag Heuer and Titoni

Not sure what you expect, and why USPS has done you wrong with regards to the follow up. You are in fact required to follow procedures--you must first place a trace on the package that is missing, and, after the search concludes, you may then file a claim--really quite simple. You can't, however, just simply file a claim if the records show that it is still in transit. Usually a 30 day minimum wait is required.

However, one rather glaring error was committed by the sender--he clearly labelled the box on the outside as "Watch Blancpain Velveret", where in fact he should have labelled it as "used watch, no battery". My guess is that somebody at the NY USPS center saw the label, found a similar sized box, slid out the label from one box, switched it with the other, and walked off with your watch.

I seriously doubt you will ever see your Blancpain, but, in the end, you will get your insured value back from the post office, after you follow their protocol. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSeikoFan View Post

Sorry I didn't do a good job explaining. The other package is from a different seller who sells lamps in another country in europe. The two packages got mixed up in contents is what I guess now.

Quote Originally Posted by the11thhour View Post
    Same, I have so many questions lol. Though I'm sure you do as well.

To be fair, the USPS is notorious for being terrible, esp. regarding packages. Ever watch Seinfeld? (See Newman)

Keep us updated and hopefully you get your watch soon and in one piece!
    Thanks for the reply! Yes I am really nervous now.

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    Not sure what you expect, and why USPS has done you wrong with regards to the follow up. You are in fact required to follow procedures--you must first place a trace on the package that is missing, and, after the search concludes, you may then file a claim--really quite simple. You can't, however, just simply file a claim if the records show that it is still in transit. Usually a 30 day minimum wait is required.

However, one rather glaring error was committed by the sender--he clearly labelled the box on the outside as "Watch Blancpain Velveret", where in fact he should have labelled it as "used watch, no battery". My guess is that somebody at the NY USPS center saw the label, found a similar sized box, slid out the label from one box, switched it with the other, and walked off with your watch.

I seriously doubt you will ever see your Blancpain, but, in the end, you will get your insured value back from the post office, after you follow their protocol. Best of luck.
    Yes, I agree the seller should not marked the description as "Blancpain". He said he sends 13 watches to USA on average each year. I thought he knew what he was doing...

Thanks for your advice on the procedures for filing claims. I was reading a reddit post about similar situation as mine "in transit to next facility": https://www.reddit.com/r/USPS/commen...ck_here_first/

And some packages got stuck over 8 month and never got a reply from usps. That really worries me out... If the package is surely lost, I need someone from usps to tell me it is lost so I can file a paypal refund request..

Your guess is exactly what I suspect too: someone at the NY usps center stole the watch. I don't know how I can file a report through the police though.

Thanks for your reply!

Yuck. Dealing with the USPS for a problem is usually an exercise in futility. You might do better to have PayPal settle the claim (which will put the onus of finding the watch on the seller; but maybe his shipping insurance can cover it?). Seriously, I have yet to experience or hear anybody getting things cleared up with the USPS. It is not designed to handle exceptions and does not have adequate resources to fix problems that it refuses to acknowledge as existing.

Reminds me of some situations here in Korea where I will be told to go to the English version of an official website by a Korean official. So you click on the English button and the front page is indeed in English, but then all the following buttons lead to the Korean pages again. So the analogy is that filing a claim with the USPS through their protocol leads you around to the result something along the lines of, "Well, show me the package that you did not receive and we can look into this."

Sorry and good luck.
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Not Seiko: Parmigiania Tonda 1950, Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, IWC Cal. 89 (c. 1957), Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), Scurfa Diver One, G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7069 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), 5740-8000 Lord Marvel 36'000 (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), King Quartz 5855-5000 (1977), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984), SKX399K "Philippines"

OI VEY! I'm glad I buy inexpensive watches. I guess everything happens for a reason .I hope this gives you a laugh.I think you need one.Name:  4ce435d22e55439baf3f2bdac821a6ba--archie-comics-nerd-humor.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  178.1 KB
    Last edited by James Haury; March 2nd, 2018 at 04:07. Reason: That guy with the cement overshoes is the Cartoonist.
    yuhengdu and JPCass like this.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information