Buying A Watch For My Dad

Thread: Buying A Watch For My Dad

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Buying A Watch For My Dad

Hi everyone. I am looking to buy my dad a watch for Christmas. I want to convert him into a leather band user (all his watches are stainless steel) and I am looking for something with a big face (40 mm minimum).

I have limited knowledge with watches and would like something that is of a respectable brand - especially amongst enthusiast's circles like yourselves. My biggest grief is that I am working with a budget around 300-400.

After endlessly searching everywhere for something I thought he would like I found this Haurex watch .

Based on reviews from this forum, most people claim that while handsome looking - this brand is not worth the money.

At this point any recommendations would be helpful and appreciated.

Banned

Re: Buying A Watch For My Dad

In this price class Stowa, Steinhart and Timefactors are among the standard recommendations. All reputable and good for the money.

If you just want to convert him to a leather guy (oooh, that sounds strange but you know what I mean), why not simply buy him a really nice leather strap for a watch he adores anyway? If he so far doesn't really like leather, giving him a leather strap on a watch he might not like very much is a big step and possibly unnecessary expense.

Find out the lug width, width between the horns, of his favorite watch and order a really nice leather strap and buckle to go with that. Maybe a deployment buckle, so the mechanism is the same as for the steel bands.

The winter is a particularly good time for a nice leather strap as they are warmer and won't be destroyed by too much sweat.

With your budget you can reach for the top. But I'd start out maybe with one good calf strap and if you are not a PETA member a nice Gator strap in the $150 class.

Hirsch, Kaufmann, Rios, Camille Fournet, Hadley Roma, Sirtoli are all reputed brands you can look for.

Perhaps order something with quick change springs. Those are springs that are integrated into the strap and you don't need tools to change the strap. So giving your watch a new look is a matter of one minute.

Make sure to check out the specialized strap forum to dig deeper.

lvt

1. Quartz / Automatic ?
    2. Time Only / Day-Date / Chronograph ?
    3. SS Band / Leather ?

Attention, some people don't like leather band because they often have something to do with water (fishing, gardening, swimming...), please ask your father before converting him to leather strap, or make sure the strap is water-proof.

With your budget you sjould look into brands like Tissot, Hamilton, they do have some nice dressy automatic with either SS or leather bands.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Lvt's ppoint is good.

Still, I think the waterproof leather strap is a marketing ploy. Yes, one can have a leather strap that withstands water better than others, i.e. last a bit longer, but overall they will look and possibly smell awful even if they still keep the watch strapped to the arm. Among those that are rather waterproof would be the vegetal tanned single layer full grain cow or water buffalo leather with no padding and no side seams. Still there are far better materials for use around water than leather.

Another question would be what kind of watch he has now.

Great idea to buy a watch for your dad! As the previous poster said, it will be easier to make a recommendation if you tell us a bit about your father's interests : is he a gadget guy or not interested in complications? Is he rough on watches or more likely to take them off when doing rough work? Does he spend time in or around the water?

For example, my father does a ton of salt water fishing nd golf plus he wears a watch pretty much 24/7 without regard to what task he's doing. For him, I purchased an Orient Mako "XL" since it was pretty rugged, has a nice large face for 70 yer old eyes, and is simple without subdials or complications.

The strap choice, while important, should be secondary to the watch head.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryeguy View Post
    Great idea to buy a watch for your dad! As the previous poster said, it will be easier to make a recommendation if you tell us a bit about your father's interests : is he a gadget guy or not interested in complications? Is he rough on watches or more likely to take them off when doing rough work? Does he spend time in or around the water?
    Thank you all for the recommendations and funny comments (lol @ nocnoc).

My dad likes to wear watches when he dresses up in a suit or has a meeting to attend and prefers watches that look sophisticated (for example - various dials).

@ lvt - I looked at Hamilton watches but haven't seen anything with the specs that I want and within the price range I am looking for. Maybe I overlooked something? I will be researching the other suggestions made.

Haurex seems like a fashion brand that they overprice and then severely discount. Reminds me of another much maligned brand.

$300-400 can buy you a Seiko, Citizen, gray market Hamilton, Tissot, or ESQ. It's pushing it for an automatic Hamilton, but they do have some quartz watches that will fall into your range. My King Scuba was $344 on Amazon (on rubber, though). A Khaki Field Officer might fall into your range. I know the mechanical (manual wind) version should be affordable at that range, but I think it's on a two piece canvas strap.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

v76

I got this for under $400, it's a superb watch ...
    Seiko Spirit "blue spark" SCVS013:

If you can't get the same model, check out others in the Seiko Spirit range (especially the SARBxxx line). If you think this is too small, check out the offerings from Stowa, Laco, Archimede and Steinhart. Laco has a Miyota powered flieger which should fit your budget and size requirements (42mm case dia.):

(borrowed image)
    Last edited by v76; November 30th, 2010 at 15:07.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Orient
    Less than 300 bucks. In house Automatic, Sapphire front and back....

Seiko / Orient / Hamilton

Since you metion meetings I assume (always dangerous that) your dad is somewhere between late 40's to early 60's. Since Omegas and Longines from the 50's and early 60's are readily found in good condition for your price point I suggest a "birth year" watch! I can guarantee that he'll enjoy wearing, and showing, a watch that is as old as he, also, watches from this time period make great dress watches and look good on a strap. A bit smaller than what you are looking for however.

Not that there is anything wrong with a Seiko, Laco, or Hamilton but half the people on the street have them - why be a lemming? I bet your dad has something similar already anyway.

If you dad is over 70 I might suggest something quartz powered. Most (not all, put the flame throwers down) men don't appriciate the fussyness of a mechanical watch any longer.

By the way, we oldsters don't sweat much - if it's going to be that much work we just pay a young person to do it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information