Buying a watch to pass down to a son… Recommendations?
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Buying a watch to pass down to a son… Recommendations?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Hello all -

so, I recently became something that I never thought I would be; a father. I'd like to do something I've heard of many fathers doing - buying a watch to "commemorate" a childs' birth, which can also be passed down or gifted to the child upon some big life milestone like graduation, marriage, childbirth, etc.

I ran the idea by my wife, and she was actually into it (her mother had done this for her, and her father has one that someday will be given to her brother) - so now the only question is what watch to buy. I've never had a Rolex and have never been that obsessed w/ them, but I kinda feel like for this particular gesture; passing down a watch from father to son, Rolex is the ideal choice. I'm leaning towards a sport watch in SS (I know, always in demand and always hard to find)… these are time-tested designs that come with that "never go out of style" factor pretty much guaranteed. My first choice is a GMT-Master, although a Sub or Explorer II would also work.

If not Rolex, I'd also be into an Omega - I'm a huge fan of the Seamaster 300 Master Co-Ax, I just don't know that it would have the same significance in 20-30 years as a Rolex would. I also like the SeamasterC diver & chronographs, as well as the Speedmaster Pro.

Whatever I choose, I feel like it kinda has to be something special, even though usually I buy into the concept of "its the thought that counts", I feel like for a gift like this, it should be something classic that will never go out of style, and also something that would hold its value well.

My budget is 10K, and probably limited to new watches only. Buying a used watch to eventually gift to someone just kinda feels weird to me. Are there any other good ideas I'm missing? Appreciate any ideas or thoughts - thanks
    mleok and Knives and Lint like this.

Re: Buying a watch to pass down to a son… Recommendations?

Pick a watch you like and would want to wear for a long time. When you pass it down, he will have fond memories of 'the watch my dad loved and now its mine!' It kind of sounds like you secretly want a Rolex. Go for it.

If I may offer an opinion—whatever watch you get, make sure it’s the watch you wear a lot around your kiddo. There’s probably something to him getting the watch he remembers you always wearing, and seeing in photos from his childhood, than something from a box with a note of, “I got this for you when you were young!” If that makes any sense.

Nice gesture. I’m considering the same for my next one! :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

For my kids I already have the watches. They were purchased used and rebuilt after I got them. My older boy will get my Omega Speedmaster mark II race dial and the young one will get a Rolex GMT master 1675 with a black service bezel. They love the watches so at the end I think it will not be a problem for them.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk Pro
    azamantes likes this.

If looking good forever is what you're after, a Sub, Explorer I or Datejust can't be beat. Plus with the Datejust you've got a damn near endless number of choices.

All of which are easily accessible in your price range. Plus, even if your son isn't "into" watches, he will still appreciate these three and enduring classics.

And because we need pictures (all sourced from the Google machine):

Last edited by geauxtigers; May 8th, 2018 at 02:20.
    Current: Rolex Explorer 214270 MKII, Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50, Omega Seamaster Professional Ceramic, Christopher Ward C9 Harrison, Vintage Waltham "Made in France" dial

First - congrats
    Second - while I can't recommend a specific watch I do think you want to look for the following:
    - strong brand - lasts for next 50+ years
    - solid caseback - consider engraving, makes it much more special
    - you may need to wear this watch above all others... so that your son knows it as "dad's watch" rather than "one of watches that dad had"
    Pentameter, 41Mets, Brey17 and 3 others like this.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Quote Originally Posted by Brey17 View Post
    It kind of sounds like you secretly want a Rolex. Go for it.
    You're right, but there are a lot of reasons underlying it. I've been into watches for awhile and while I'd love to have a Rolex, I've never thought of buying one myself. Now, I'm not just buying for me, but for my son - someone that may not be as into watches as I am. That's kinda why I'm favoring a Rolex here - they're what everyone thinks of as a "nice watch", so he should still understand the significance of it, even if he isn't a WIS like his father. That significance may not come across in a JLC Reverso or a FF Bathyscaphe - two random watches that I personally adore and would love to own, but feel like may be lost on someone not "in the know". Maybe I'm focusing too much on how it will be received, but a Rolex is what my wives' mother passed down to her, and is what my brother in law will be getting from his father someday - so, it's something of a established family tradition already, even though it didn't originate with my parents.
    Brey17 and jmorski like this.

I second the congrats. I wouldn't be so worried about buying a "used" watch that you should be wearing for the next 18 years! It'll be used when he gets it, and he'll be on the right path to financial independence knowing that even when you bought something as expensive as a Rolex, you were careful with your money. Plus if you buy a model where you save at least low low four figures over new, you can invest that difference for him for when he is older.
    I personally would vote for a no date model. In the future when we all have chips imbedded in us to tell us everything, the Rolex will just be a really nice bracelet that happens to tell time he got from his dad.
    Explorer 1, Milgauss, or I personally really like the two new releases of the OP, the black and white dials. I think the other OPs are too busy with the large markers at 3,6,9 and the new ones are better balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Pentameter View Post
    You're right, but there are a lot of reasons underlying it. I've been into watches for awhile and while I'd love to have a Rolex, I've never thought of buying one myself. Now, I'm not just buying for me, but for my son - someone that may not be as into watches as I am. That's kinda why I'm favoring a Rolex here - they're what everyone thinks of as a "nice watch", so he should still understand the significance of it, even if he isn't a WIS like his father. That significance may not come across in a JLC Reverso or a FF Bathyscaphe - two random watches that I personally adore and would love to own, but feel like may be lost on someone not "in the know". Maybe I'm focusing too much on how it will be received, but a Rolex is what my wives' mother passed down to her, and is what my brother in law will be getting from his father someday - so, it's something of a established family tradition already, even though it didn't originate with my parents.
    Secret third answer— get the Explorer and then with your remaining budget a Reverso for yourself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pentameter, Brey17 and omega1300 like this.
    Current: Rolex Explorer 214270 MKII, Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50, Omega Seamaster Professional Ceramic, Christopher Ward C9 Harrison, Vintage Waltham "Made in France" dial

Rolex Submariner or Explorer I or II. I think any young man receiving one of these watches as a gift would most rightfully be ecstatic.
    Dorian Galt likes this.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information