buying watches on amazon.com to ship to Canada

Thread: buying watches on amazon.com to ship to Canada

Question buying watches on amazon.com to ship to Canada

First of all I'm new to this site, So hello to everyone. Now that the Canadian dollar is at par with the USD I want to order from Amazon.com but they will not ship the watches into Canada. I found a business that will let you ship it to there address for $20-25? pass it through customs and then charge you whatever canada post charges for the delivery to your door. Does that seem like a good way to go? So I guess they broker the deal for 25.00?

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Re: buying watches on amazon.com to ship to Canada

Quote Originally Posted by bmwm3 View Post
    First of all I'm new to this site, So hello to everyone. Now that the Canadian dollar is at par with the USD I want to order from Amazon.com but they will not ship the watches into Canada. I found a business that will let you ship it to there address for $20-25? pass it through customs and then charge you whatever canada post charges for the delivery to your door. Does that seem like a good way to go? So I guess they broker the deal for 25.00?
    Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. What if they decide they want to keep your item? You have no recourse, you can't tell your credit card company it was stolen. You paid for it to be shipped to that address. I would check else where. What type of watch are you looking for? I am sure our Canadian members can recommend some sites for you.

Welcome to the site.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

GTA, Ontario, Canada, the True North strong and free

Quote Originally Posted by emmanuelgoldstein View Post
    Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. What if they decide they want to keep your item? You have no recourse, you can't tell your credit card company it was stolen. You paid for it to be shipped to that address. I would check else where. What type of watch are you looking for? I am sure our Canadian members can recommend some sites for you.

Welcome to the site.
    Agree. Dollar being at par applies everywhere, and there are lots of places that do ship to Canada, so your $20-25 can go towards shipping, duty etc. Not sure what you've seen at Amazon that can't be acquired elsewhere without the risk and trouble. If there was an "easy" way around their policies I'm sure it would be well-known by now.

I have found these forums to be extremely helpful once you're specific about what it is you're looking for... so would echo Emmanuel's recommendation in that regard.

Best,
    HBL
    DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bmwm3 View Post

Who owns the business, how long have they been in operation, who do you know that has used them, how do they pass goods through customs are but a few questions that come to mind.

Im sure there are many companies out there that do offer the same service, but one that comes to mind is http://www.myus.com/

There are a lot of things that you cannot ship to Canada. But it's the seller's loss. All they need to do is fill out a customs form. However, I wish that customs duties between the US and Canada be dropped, as they are between EU countries! Makes sense!

You don't pay duty on watches shipped to Canada from the US. You do pay sales taxes and brokerage fees. That can add up though.
    http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/et/etsl55/etsl55-e.html
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; April 16th, 2010 at 17:05.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

My sister lives in Calgary and often ships the items to me and then I forward them on to her. Amazon is such a great place to buy from, she also likes overstock and they don't ship to canada. It seems like the paperwork and hassle is on the Canadian side. I agree with other comments about buying from the forums if possible.

BaliHa'i Project: CaliHa'i LE 1000m
    BaliHai Stealth #11
    Bathys 100 Fathoms Silver Ruthenuim
    Bathys Benthic - Orange Dial
    Bathys Benthic MOP Dial
    Boschett Cave Dweller II ETA Blue
    Boschett Reef Ranger LE
    Boschett Reef Ranger Orange
    Breitling Pro Diver

Breitling Avenger
    Doxa Diver Orange
    DWP #41
    Dievas Vortex
    Enzo Mechanica EM001
    IWC Portugese
    IWC Portofino
    Kobold Seal
    Kobold Safari Diver
    Kobold Spirit of America
    Nauticfish Five Hundreed Seacupro Carbon Diver
    Nav B
    Omega PO
    RESCO Patriot
    Seiko Tuna
    Seiko Aston
    Sinn U1
    UTS 1000m
    Zixen Trimix GMT PVD Orange dial
    Omega Seamaster Pro

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

This is straight from Amazon's Web site. It seems they do ship watches to Canada.

The following items can be shipped to almost all destinations outside the U.S.:

• books*
    • DVDs
    • music
    • VHS videos

Additionally, some consumer electronics, health and personal care, home and garden, jewelry, pet supplies, shoes, software, sporting goods, tools, video games, and watches can be shipped to the following countries:

• Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Philippines, Portugal, Poland, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

I just found out how they do it. And alot of people do use them and seem happy. The business is on an Indian Reserve. Shipped into American side, and shipped out Canadian side. 25.00 handling charge + whatever Canada post charges to your destination.

Thread Information