Buying watches in Northern Ireland

Thread: Buying watches in Northern Ireland

Buying watches in Northern Ireland

Anybody know where to go buy a watch in Northern Ireland? Also if I was to buy from the states off one of the sellers no this site would I be hit with a tax bill when it arrives here in NI?

Re: Buying watches in Northern Ireland

Hi Jim,

Sorry, I can't help with your first question. With regard to buying from the states, yes you will get a tax bill. You will be charged Import VAT at 20% on the value of the watch PLUS cost of shipping/insurance (e.g. watch costs £500, shipping/insurance is £30, VAT charged on £500+£30= £530). In addition, the carrier will charge an admin fee for processing the watch through customs on your behalf, this could vary from £8 to £15, or so.

If the watch is sent via United States Postal Service (USPS) it will be processed by Parcelforce in the UK and there is a small chance that it may get through customs without any taxes be levied. But its better to allow for the import costs and if they're not charged treat it as a bonus. If the watch is sent via an independent carrier (UPS, Fedex, etc) then you can bank on being charged Import VAT. Section 2 of the attached link to HMRC site gives full details.

HM Revenue & Customs

Thanks for the information, I think I will try stick to finding watches from EU countries. It's just everything in America seems much cheaper.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'd imagine that your best bet would be to look around Belfast, but if I was you I think I'd use it an excuse to make a nice weekend watch hunting trip to either Dublin or maybe a little further across by ferry on to Manchester. I'm sure you'd find plenty of interesting watches in the shops there.

Thread Information