Buying watches from US - duty & tax
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Buying watches from US - duty & tax

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Buying watches from US - duty & tax

Hi all,

has anyone reading got recent experience of buying watches from the US (I live in UK)?

I have my eye on a watch on eBay which is fro a US seller (first jewellery source) and need to know how much duty/tax I would pay on a £2100 watch. See below for their international delivery blurb

SHIPPING INTERNATIONAL ORDERS
    All International items are shipped via FedEx International Priority delivery and insured for the full purchase price against theft, damage,or loss. We have extensive expertise in shipping high-end value watches to our international customers. Please note, we cannot be responsible for additional costs, such as customs, duties, VAT, taxes, etc. Since customs policies vary widely from country to country, we urge our international customers to contact their local customs office for an estimate before ordering. Please note that we must declare the full value that you paid for your watch on the shipment.All international orders are final sale.

There seems to be some real bargains to be had from buying outside the UK, but if something seems to good to be true there's usually a catch.

any advice will be most appreciated

thanks

Re: Buying watches from US - duty & tax

Doesn't eBay now take the tax and duty money at checkout?

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

carrollp likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

the delivery policy states it. whenever i was buying watches from the states while i was living in canada, i'd have to pay for the taxes whenever i picked up the item from fedex/ups/canada post. when it crosses the border, it visits a broker and they pin the taxes on it. something you're not going to be able to avoid, especially since they declare full value. call your customs to find out what tax they're gonna hit you up with. i think for me, it wasn't full HST, just the GST.

No WIS should be without the Duty Calculator that Mike just posted the link to.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Thank God that 99.9% of the time they don't charge duty. They actually add the duty to the purchase price and then they charge the GST on that total which mean they tax a tax. Ya gotta love how the government tries to screw you out of every penny they can.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post

Handy link, thanks Mike!

looks like it will cost (roughly) a total of £2683.70 for a £2200 watch. This includes £447.28 VAT - see below for summary;

Notes on duty & taxes rates
    Watch has an import duty rate of 4.5%, subject to minimum of €0.30 per piece, subject to maximum of €0.80 per piece and VAT rate of 20%. Import Authorization may be required.
    Duty result for item Watch is nil because the total amount of duty payable for this item is less than £9.00
    Notes on import taxes due
    Please note that your shipping provider may add an additional handling fee

Same watch (navitimer) getting sold in UK is about £3000 so still a saving to be had.

thanks for all the replies

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Doesn't eBay now take the tax and duty money at checkout?

Not 100%, but I don't think so Geoff. I have been doing some research and think it gets charged when it lands in UK. Stand to be corrected though

Quote Originally Posted by Lumix View Post
    Not 100%, but I don't think so Geoff. I have been doing some research and think it gets charged when it lands in UK. Stand to be corrected though
    I think it depends on the seller but it's a new thing.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    I think it depends on the seller but it's a new thing.
    The seller has to be enrolled in eBay's new 'Global Shipping Programme', the aim of which is to encourage US sellers to send overseas.
    German: Junghans Meister Chronoscope | Nomos Tangente | Stowa Exima ETA & PUW 560
    Others: Accurist World Time Chronograph | Mondaine solar powered | Omega Seamaster 'Calypso' | Orient Blue Mako | Orient CVZ0001B ana-digi | Reena WeatherMaster VII

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information