Buying wedding gift for husband-to-be: Simple, black dial, ~$2000 budget --- Is quartz okay?
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Buying wedding gift for husband-to-be: Simple, black dial, ~$2000 budget --- Is quartz okay?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Buying wedding gift for husband-to-be: Simple, black dial, ~$2000 budget --- Is quartz okay?

My friend is looking to buy her husband-to-be a nice watch for their wedding coming soon. She asked for my help, since she knows I'm a WIS lol.

Anyhow, after showing her lots of options, she definitely prefers a simple black dial design. Her budget is $2000 roughly. The two watches she's really liked so far are the Citizen Chronomaster and the Ball Fireman Victory (random pics below). I would definitely recommend the Citizen, but the problem is her fiancé only presently has a random Armani watch from a mall kiosk. Like, obviously it's just a fashion watch (I assume it's quartz, but am not sure).

Given that he doesn't presently have a decent watch, and given that I believe every man should have a nice automatic watch, I'm having a hard time definitively recommending the Citizen. The thing is, for her budget, the Chronomaster represents the BEST quartz in production on Earth. She could have the very best for roughly 2k. Whereas the Ball represents a very nice watch, no doubt, but in no respect the best (obviously).

You can see from the design aesthetic what her tastes are. So I am wondering if I'm missing anything? What would you recommend?

Here are random pics taken from the web:

Name:  160891312.7d9WRP26.cit6.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  319.1 KB

Name:  670201887_o.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  106.8 KB

And just FYI, I received this in the mail about 20 minutes ago!

Re: Buying wedding gift for husband-to-be: Simple, black dial, ~$2000 budget --- Is quartz okay?

C Ward 5 Day Automatic. Can't argue with 120 hour PR, 2k

Grand Seiko SBGX061 (It's quartz, and I -PERSONALLY - would rather spend 2 large on it than a Chronomaster.)
    propoflurane likes this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: Buying wedding gift for husband-to-be: Simple, black dial, ~$2000 budget --- Is quartz okay?

Just be careful when giving an automatic to somebody who's used to quartz

Coming from quartz, I couldn't stand wearing automatic (or any mechanical watch) due to their inaccuracy... and I tried really hard to
    like them too. In the end, that smooth second hand just wasn't enough to justify the extra effort in keeping accurate time with such
    a watch.
    bbuckbbuck and MisterHo like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If he's not into watches, the Citizen all the way. It will require zero thought from him about keeping it wound.

Looking down the road, both have good WR, sapphire crystals, and good lume should kids arrive on the scene.

i am sure the citizen is already a very good watch for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i have many many memory with many watches, but the only one that is worthy is my all time favorite - the Tudor Submariner 79090.

I would tend to lean towards an auto but point out to her that if she goes in that direction hubby will need to wear the watch every day to keep it well wound. If he's only likely to wear it at the weekend he may well be better off with a quartz. I love setting my watches every other day but the man in the street might not get the same sort of joy from it.

Hi bbuckbbuck,

I'm particular to automatic Swiss watches so my recommendation based on your criteria for a solid first watch would be the Tissot Visodate (in black) or the Oris classic date black. The Visodate costs roughly $500 and the Oris is around $750. For the money they’re both solid watches which will last a long long time.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by giodoc; October 21st, 2015 at 19:00.
    When buying a watch - under $500 anything goes, over $1000 you should know!

Quartz for everyday stuff? Sure.

Quartz for the ceremony where you bind yourself to the person you're planning on spending the rest of your life with?

Name:  no-country-for-old-men-4.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  50.8 KB
    Last edited by LordBrettSinclair; October 22nd, 2015 at 17:04.
    The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom

Oh man. I can't believe I forgot C Ward! Great idea, and she's from London! The GS Quartz is also beautiful, and she likes it, she just prefers the look of the citizen. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    C Ward 5 Day Automatic. Can't argue with 120 hour PR, 2k

Grand Seiko SBGX061 (It's quartz, and I -PERSONALLY - would rather spend 2 large on it than a Chronomaster.)

When going for quartz that GS is pretty much top end! But your friend might better save some money on watches and do an extra gift.
    Mondaine, only 450euros at mrporter:
    Name:  MH1.R2220.LB.jpeg
Views: 301
Size:  401.4 KB
    Mondaine - Helvetica No1 Stainless Steel Watch.|.MR PORTER

Or Nomos Orion Anthrazit if automatic is important.
    Orion anthrazit sapphire crystal back | Beautiful watches purchased online. Directly from NOMOS Glashütte.
    Name:  orion_anthrazit_square.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  39.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_7353.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  96.6 KB
    #14 and D10S Forever. Gràcies and R.I.P Johan.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information