Is a C.O.S.C. Certificate,worth the increased price...

Thread: Is a C.O.S.C. Certificate,worth the increased price...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Banned

Is a C.O.S.C. Certificate,worth the increased price...

Since we are on the accuracy topic....is there a QUARTZ CERTIFICATE????

Re: Is a C.O.S.C. Certificate,worth the increased price...

yes there are quartz c.o.s.c certified watches too

Banned

Is the certificate worth the money? No. A decent non-COSC certified watch can be regulated to run well within COSC limits.

Why would you want to pay extra for a COSC certificate on a quartz watch???? The cost of the movement is less than the price for the testing! Plus, even cheap quartz watches can keep time to within a minute a month which is WAY better than COSC standards.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

COSC standards for quartz are +/- 0.07 seconds per day which is about 2 seconds /month, so a bit tighter than for mechanical. Nevertheless I agree with Dennis that looking for a quartz watch that meets COSC standards is a stretch. Just go for thermocompensation and you'll be fine.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

GTA, Ontario, Canada, the True North strong and free

Quote Originally Posted by Thetoad View Post
    Since we are on the accuracy topic....is there a QUARTZ CERTIFICATE????
    Who's on the accuracy topic?
    DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

COSC isn't worth the price, and there is a COSC for quartz movements, also not worth the price. All IMHO of course...

There are any number of people who have non-COSC certified watches that run within the COSC specs, and there are also COSC certified watches that don't run within the stated specs. I would rather purchase a watch without the added expense of the COSC testing and spend a little to have my watch regulated and pressure tested. What's important to me is how my watch runs when I wear it, not that the movement passed some arbitrary test while sitting on a bench somewhere...

No.

Hi guys, interesting topic, although I dont have much too add I do have a few questions, 1) Approximately how much does it cost to regulate an automatic?
    2) Does anybody know a good watchmaker in the broward county area? (south Fl.) 3) Ive had my watch for about a year now, its still running more or less the same as it did when I first got it, but I plan to have it serviced by the time its three that is if it doesnt need it sooner. Do they regulate the watch as part of the normal maintainace work?

I like COSC watches because it means that right out of the factory, it's already been regulated to run excellent. Obviously it doesn't mean that a non-COSC watch can't keep just as good time. But if you do go out of your way to get it "regulated," you'd have to go to an AD which can perform this otherwise it would void your warranty (not sure on the specifics of this procedure). I think COSC is cool; it's something I'm willing to pay more for. But still, I think everyone is right when they say it's not REALLY necessary, you can just regulate it after you buy it. But I like COSC :)

As to whether or not regulation is included with a servicing: call the place where you plan to have it serviced, either a watchmaker, or the manufacturer's factory, etc. It was included in a full mov't overhaul for my Breitling, but some may or may not, some may include it as standard price for what you're paying for or charge extra. To get on your question of price, BUSA charged me 320 + some extras for a complete service. What kind of watch do you have, 3 years seems pretty soon to send it in; mine was 8 and I'd wait until it starts keeping bad time before I'd send it in (like mine was).

I think you can hunt down a COSC certificate and get a new one, but they charge a lot for it (I think I asked once and heard like 75$).?
    ..............Rolex
    Omega
    Breitling TAG Heuer
    Seiko Citizen G-Shock

A COSC certificate for a mechanical watch isn't worth the extra cost. If accuracy is the goal then a quartz watch will run circles around any mechanical watch. And a quartz like the Seiko Perpetual Calendar or Citizen Precisionist will deliver accuracy of 20 seonds per year or better. The COSC certificate has value only as a marketing tool for swiss watch makers.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information