Calling all flippers
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Calling all flippers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Calling all flippers

Gents,

I've sold a few notable pieces recently so id like to pay my respects and ask the group:

Last three watches sold

Holding period

Why?

I will start us off:

Pam 25 - 13 months - finally admitting large watches don't work for my 6.5 wrist

Rolex exp 2 white - 8 months - wore more like 44mm IMO, didn't like tiny crown guards and crown

Anonimo Drass n gold 2018 mark 2 - 10 months - same as Pam - too thick, specialty piece, little wrist time

I reserve the right to go back to large pieces - like any true flipper

Last edited by darby11; October 23rd, 2013 at 03:24.

Re: Calling all flippers

I'll play, starting with the latest flip.

Omega Planet Ocean 8500 42mm - 2 weeks - Watch is too thick making the watch wear large on my small wrist, bezel numbers were a little too avant garde for me

Jaeger LeCoultre Master Hometime - 2 Weeks - Dial seems a little busy, no need for GMT feature most of the time and that autotractor 975 movement was a little loud for my liking

Grand Seiko SBGR081 30th Anniversary LE - 3 Weeks - Too technical a piece, does not sing to me on an emotional level.
    darby11, iam7head, hpark21 and 1 others like this.

It doesn't sound like you guys are flippers, just that you're making your way along a journey to find the perfect watch. To me, a "flipper" is someone who buys a watch off the forums with the explicit reason of reselling it for a profit, and no mind towards actually owning it. Pretty annoying for hobbyists of all types.
    AvantGardeTime likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tsujigiri View Post
    It doesn't sound like you guys are flippers, just that you're making your way along a journey to find the perfect watch. To me, a "flipper" is someone who buys a watch off the forums with the explicit reason of reselling it for a profit, and no mind towards actually owning it. Pretty annoying for hobbyists of all types.
    I've always admitted to the term "flipper" but it's the first time I've seen it defined as such, which is interesting and intriguing. I've purchased, always with the intent to keep, 85 watches in the past 3 years, currently have 15 pieces. Of the 70, 2 were gifted away and the rest were sold for one reason or another. All but 3 sales yielded a profit, most were sold at large losses. I will now describe myself as a horological "traveller" and perhaps answer negatively when asked if I flip . . .
    dosei and Gary123 like this.
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

I find myself holding onto pieces for longer now a days. Maybe my horological journey is nearing the end and possibly I am going into "collector's" mode.

Either that or after flipping 50+ pieces, I am finally narrowing down the "Likes" in a watch.
    mew88, drhr and darby11 like this.
    Chronic flipper...

Quote Originally Posted by Tsujigiri View Post
    If a person flipping forum watches for profit worked half as hard at a real job they'd make ten times the money. What a waste. Now I realize what some of the lowballing a-holes were doing when I sold my watches.
    Fi33pop, Nokie and darby11 like this.

Disclosure:
    1. My posts are not shilling other people's stuff.
    2. I own everything that I post and paid for it with my own money.
    3. My opinions are not influenced by any form of compensation.

If a person flipping forum watches for profit worked half as hard at a real job they'd make ten times the money. What a waste. Now I realize what some of the lowballing a-holes were doing when I sold my watches.
    I have no problem with the people who lowball once, politely, just in case I happen to be interested. It's the ones who won't let it go that get on my nerves. "You know no one's going to buy it at your asking price, right?" "Look, I don't have time for this -- just take my offer and we can get this over with." "If you understood anything about watches, you'd take this and be grateful." "If you're not going to be reasonable, then you shouldn't post on this board." My personal favorite was, "There's a rule here about ripping people off with prices. If you keep trying to get your asking price, I'll report you."

I just ignore them and move on. But, I've gotta think that kind of bullying actually works sometimes, or they wouldn't do it. That's a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
    I have no problem with the people who lowball once, politely, just in case I happen to be interested. It's the ones who won't let it go that get on my nerves. "You know no one's going to buy it at your asking price, right?" "Look, I don't have time for this -- just take my offer and we can get this over with." "If you understood anything about watches, you'd take this and be grateful." "If you're not going to be reasonable, then you shouldn't post on this board." My personal favorite was, "There's a rule here about ripping people off with prices. If you keep trying to get your asking price, I'll report you."

I just ignore them and move on. But, I've gotta think that kind of bullying actually works sometimes, or they wouldn't do it. That's a shame.
    Wow, interesting. Have you actually had prospective buyers say that to you? Amazing . . .
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Inactive

You can find fllippers with anything, fountain pens, motorcycles (and you thought flipping watches was costly). What it seems to be is you like the thrill of getting something new, the hunt if you will. After a few months the shine wears off and your heart focuses on something else you just "have to have". I knew a guy that bought a new Harley Davidson motorcycle every year. He lost probably 7K on each sale, but he didn't care, just wanted a new bike, new color, latest gadgets.

I imagine people who serial flip things have a bit of OCD, something will always stand out as to why the watch is impractical, flawed, or overall just not their taste anymore.

I've only sold about 4 or 5 watches this year, compared to about 30 the previous two years. I am definitely finding out what I like and buying with the intention to keep as buying and trying is a money losing strategy, however fun it may be.

I sold my Stowa Baumuster B last week, its the third one I have had but seem to like my Damasko's and Sinn a bit more so sold it to fund my new photography hobby. Also sold the recently acquired Omega 2254.50 to fund camera stuff.
    Grand Seiko and Planet Ocean were sold to buy Sinn 556A and Nomos and Omega 2254.50 (which was sold 2 weeks later)
    Current collection: Tudor BB 36 |MKII Hawkinge| Seiko SARB017 | Seiko SARB035 | Seiko SBDC053| Seiko SBDC059|Seiko SBDC061| Stowa Antea KS
    wishlist: ​Seiko SBDC065, Sinn EZM 3f, Sinn 856 UTC, Sinn 356 Flieger II, Damasko DC56, Tudor Black Bay Fifty-eight, Sinn 556 i Blue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information