Calling All Watch Enthusiasts: Aviation or Dive Watch?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Calling All Watch Enthusiasts: Aviation or Dive Watch?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Calling All Watch Enthusiasts: Aviation or Dive Watch?

Hello everyone, thanks for stopping in on this thread and offering your opinions. I am interested in hearing what the watch community has to say about Aviation watches and/or Dive Watches. Which do you prefer? Why? Any particular brand that you think is best? Thanks everyone for your input!

Re: Calling All Watch Enthusiasts: Aviation or Dive Watch?

Oris dive watches. Many have I. Only one snag, much as I love dive watches I don't dive.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Oris dive watches. Many have I. Only one snag, much as I love dive watches I don't dive.
    hahaha, I feel you there- as I am about as stereotypical 'desk diver' as they come!

But for the OP's question- I think you get a lot more leeway stylistically in a dive watch, than a flieger. So long as it has a rotating bezel and some decent lume and WR, you're good to go, whereas flieger have a more unified look to them. Also the main variant you see in flieger, complication wise, is a chronograph, where I have seen power reserves, day/date and more in divers.

Of course, I am speaking in the utmost of generalities here, but I go 'diver' in this toss up.
    Außerordentliche übel erfordern außerordentliche Mittel.

Rolex - Jaeger LeCoultre - Nomos - v. Seiko - Burberry

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by movet22 View Post
    hahaha, I feel you there- as I am about as stereotypical 'desk diver' as they come!

But for the OP's question- I think you get a lot more leeway stylistically in a dive watch, than a flieger. So long as it has a rotating bezel and some decent lume and WR, you're good to go, whereas flieger have a more unified look to them. Also the main variant you see in flieger, complication wise, is a chronograph, where I have seen power reserves, day/date and more in divers.

Of course, I am speaking in the utmost of generalities here, but I go 'diver' in this toss up.
    Pretty much this. Plus fleigers don't do anything for me at all.
    coastiesquid likes this.

Remember, if you don't dive the biggest difference between dive watches and flieger watches is that on a dive watch, the triangle points down and on a flieger the triangle points up (and sometimes has dots around it). Most watches have more than enough WR these days, and if you don't use the bezel to time things, it's all a style thing.
    Perdendosi and Benny P like this.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Interesting,the last watch that I sold was a diver and the last one I bought was a flieger, but it doesn't mean I don't like them both. I like the chunkiness and the serious bezel combo of the diver as much as the clean no-nonsense look of fliegers, so very different purposes on both of them and more like apples and oranges.

I have a fear of getting my nice watches wet(happened b/4)....So I would go a dive watch..
    Better stylishly diver down than flieger soaked and ruined! IMHO
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

I prefer dive watches. Partly for the look, partly for the size and weight, and the fact that most come with a metal bracelet, which is my preference.

I have a diver, and want flieger badly (german, one of the original manufacturers)
    So i would say get them both, in order you find more appealing to you, oh and don't forget to get a chronograph as well...and a marine... and a dress watch...

Dive watches any day of the week! I really like the Omega Seamaster 300 with shark mesh, the Tudor Black Bay, and, of the micro-brands, Helson Sharkmaster 1000. Aviation watches, hence cool, are not for me. At all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information