Can anyone provide me with some info on Xetum?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Can anyone provide me with some info on Xetum?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can anyone provide me with some info on Xetum?

It is my understanding that this is a fairly new brand, and since I know absolutely nothing about automatic pieces, I have some questions. First off, I really like the look of the Xetum watches. I think they are unique and they catch the eye. But how reliable is the movement? How durable is it? Is this a timepiece that will last me my entire life with proper maintenance? And how accurate is it? And if anyone has some wrist shots of the Tyndall or Stinson that'd be fantastic. Thanks in advance

Re: Can anyone provide me with some info on Xetum?

Quote Originally Posted by J.Harris View Post
    It is my understanding that this is a fairly new brand, and since I know absolutely nothing about automatic pieces, I have some questions. First off, I really like the look of the Xetum watches. I think they are unique and they catch the eye. But how reliable is the movement? How durable is it? Is this a timepiece that will last me my entire life with proper maintenance? And how accurate is it? And if anyone has some wrist shots of the Tyndall or Stinson that'd be fantastic. Thanks in advance
    Yes, i agree that xetum watches are very unique looking. They used to use workhorse eta2824 movement, but now, I believe they are using selitta sw200. I am sure they can last you a life time with proper maintenance since these movements are pretty reliable and parts are abundant. In my personal opinion, I don't think the company will still exist in like 20years from now though. Have you considered an oris BC3?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Standard ETA/Sellita movements, just as good as any other watch that uses them, Tissot, hamilton, Mido, Rado, Archimede, Chris ward, Tag, Oris, and dozens of other brands.

Their USP is their styling and the way the strap integrates with the case, not that it hasnt been done before, but its a "designer" watch in their minds. If you like it, then there is nothing to fear reliability wise. With proper maintenance once every few years, it should run just fine for ages.
    J.Harris likes this.

They seem to be well done watches - it's the design that sometimes polarizes. If you like the look, buy it.

Yes, they certainly don't design with main stream ideas in mind.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Thanks for the input, gents! Thats a good point, Napoleon. I can see this brand not being around forever. I have not considered Oris or anything else, really, I don't know much about mechanicals. I like watches but I am not knowledgeable when it comes to high end brands. I only own a citizen, momentum and two casios at the moment (all quartz). Is the Stinson worth $900 or is that too much for what it has to offer? Thanks agiain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Harris View Post
    Thanks for the input, gents! Thats a good point, Napoleon. I can see this brand not being around forever. I have not considered Oris or anything else, really, I don't know much about mechanicals. I like watches but I am not knowledgeable when it comes to high end brands. I only own a citizen, momentum and two casios at the moment (all quartz). Is the Stinson worth $900 or is that too much for what it has to offer? Thanks agiain
    If you really like the design, get it. I am sure it will be a well-made reliable time piece. Plus I heard really good things about their return policy, so if you don't like it you can get your money back. But personally, I'd rather get something like an Oris BC3 which is also rather unique looking watch that costs about the same as the stinson (grey market) EDIT: actually the leather strap model is $800 on amazon right now

Also Hamilton khaki officer SORT of resembles xetum tyndall

Or maybe this victorinox at half the price of a stinson (grey market)
    Last edited by //Napoleon//; January 17th, 2014 at 05:42.
    J.Harris likes this.

Xetum uses ETA movement, probably 90% of all Swiss Made watches use a movement from them. They are very reliable, almost every watch you see that is not named Rolex, Jaeger LeCoutre, and a few others use an ETA movement.
    They last a long time.
    J.Harris likes this.

I have looked into the Xetum watches quite a bit, and have a friend who has a Stinson. Looking at one "in the flesh" they are very, very nice. Sturdy design. Nice detailing on the case. His is accurate to within just a few seconds a day. Chronograph level of accuracy just from a standard movement (that I am guessing was well regulated by the maker, or else he just got lucky). If you really like the looks of a Xetum, get one. I think the pricing is reasonable for what you are getting. I have not heard anything negative about them. I would say go for it and buy with confidence.

I concur with the other poster talking about Oris...I own an Oris BC3 with black dial. Its a really nice watch, very well made, very durable. Mine is pretty much dead on in terms of accuracy. Some days it is a few second fast, then I check again an its almost right on. Most accurate mechanical I have ever had. And its not a chronograph either. I love the red rotors that Oris puts on their automatics. They have been around for ages, I would bet they are around for a long, long time to come. Oris gives you good swiss quality for a very decent price.

Hamilton is also a good place to start for a nice swiss mechanical that is not going to cost you an arm and a leg.

Another brand I would recommend you take a look at is Muhle Glashutte (German made). VERY high quality, beautifully made, and Muhle has been around since the 1800's. They start with a swiss movement and then upgrade it in-house, and they regulate every watch carefully. I just got a Muhle and I could not be more pleased. Its the nicest watch I have - great value for the price. Other German makers are interesting as well. Some very nice watches to be had from German makers. Quality and skill as good as the Swiss IMO.
    J.Harris likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information