Can a cape cod cloth remove a sapphire crystals coating?

Thread: Can a cape cod cloth remove a sapphire crystals coating?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can a cape cod cloth remove a sapphire crystals coating?

Reason im asking is because i accidently used it on one of my watches on the case which has an AR coating and was told by people that the AR coating had come off.So im guessing i can just get the coating redone..any idea on the cost of doing it?And am i right ?
    THanks

dWATCH Black Ray

Quote Originally Posted by als2820 View Post
    Reason im asking is because i accidently used it on one of my watches on the case which has an AR coating and was told by people that the AR coating had come off.So im guessing i can just get the coating redone..any idea on the cost of doing it?And am i right ?
    THanks
    You're probably right, a cape cod cloth will remove A/R coating, and the cost is up there to have it redone... personally, I wouldn't bother. I'd have it completely removed and be done with it. However, if you must have it done, I'd have it done on the underside only, I've always though A/R on the topside was as idiotic as can be!

Re: dWATCH Black Ray

thanks..actually it looks bad now because the spot i swiped off is kind of puple when i take it out in the sun a look at it carefully...its a bvlgari with a dark blue dial,if it was white i wouldnt bother...btw whats top and underside ar coating mean?thanks a lot.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

thanks..actually it looks bad now because the spot i swiped off is kind of puple when i take it out in the sun a look at it carefully...its a bvlgari with a dark blue dial,if it was white i wouldnt bother...btw whats top and underside ar coating mean?thanks a lot.
    Yours has A/R coating on the topside of your crystal, most manufacturers, if they're being smart, will put it on the underside of the crystal, that way you can't scratch or wipe it off, because you can't access the underside of the crystal. It's true that A/R coating on both sides rocks for glare proofing, but it's just not worth it for me, because it's easy to scratch and/or wipe away, as you've found out yourself.

ok thanks..one last question..can the sapphire crystal on my tissot watch without ar coating be effected by using cape cod cloth on it?..not that i want to ..just curious...and should i remove the ar coating on the bvlgari?it looks bad now because of the difference in color from the ar side but if i take it all of with the cloth will it look normal??thanks.

ok thanks..one last question..can the sapphire crystal on my tissot watch without ar coating be effected by using cape cod cloth on it?..not that i want to ..just curious...and should i remove the ar coating on the bvlgari?it looks bad now because of the difference in color from the ar side but if i take it all of with the cloth will it look normal??thanks.
    I'm not too sure how that all works as I've never bought a watch with topside A/R coating, don't know if the cloth can completely remove it all or not. I'm guessing what you have done is smeared it, and the distortion or discoloration you're seeing is due to that. Again, I'm just not sure there, though I'd assume that with enough elbow grease you could completely remove it all with the cloth. It shouldn't affect the crystal itself, being that it's a sapphire crystal, and a better grade of one at that, but lets see if others agree.

alright thanks a lot

I'm curious how that subject line got changed in my responses... I didn't do that. I think the mods are foolin' with me... ERIC!!! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond 'The Box' View Post
    I'm curious how that subject line got changed in my responses... I didn't do that. I think the mods are foolin' with me... ERIC!!! ;D
    haha

Re: Can a cape cod cloth remove a sapphire crystals coating?

I removed the topside coating on a PO and a Mido with this stuff:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information