Can the dial of a vintage watch be touched up?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tribe125

Thread: Can the dial of a vintage watch be touched up?

Can the dial of a vintage watch be touched up?

So I was browsing the bay and this vintage Angelus Chronodato leapt out at me. For a watch dating to the 1940s, it seems to be in remarkably good condition.

There are a couple of spots on the dial. I can't stand imperfections, even if the subject in question is a watch two times older than myself, so I was just wondering whether a watchmaker could remove those specks? I know the hands can be re-plated and the case polished to make the case and hands look almost brand new. But I understand restoring the dial is a trickier affair. And obviously the watch, being a vintage piece, is unlikely to have a new dial available for replacement.

Attachment 1023208 Attachment 1023206

Banned

Re: Can the dial of a vintage watch be touched up?

You may want to post this in the Vintage subforum. But I imagine the two most common answers will be 'don't' and 'why?'

I believe spot treatments still leave a spot, just of another finish. The objectionable color may be removed but the area may now be shiny. It will probably still look different from the patina on the rest of the dial. Which is why complete redials are done, I suppose.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but I'd say that specimen has nearly ideal aging -- just enough to show it's age without anything that detracts from it's beauty and interest.

It can be redone but it'll lose authenticity and collector interest. If this sort of thing bothers you, I'd stick to new watches. This one looks almost pristine and I would never have it redone.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It can be done -

Pyroxene likes this.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Wow amazing job on that JLC! Looks just like new.

Thread Information