Can lugs be widened?

Thread: Can lugs be widened?

Can lugs be widened?

HI guys, not sure if this is in the right place,

but can lugs be widened say, by 1 mm on each side of the lug? it would save me from having to buy a bunch of straps... anyone have suggestions or a direction to point me in?

THanks
    -Ryan

Re: Can lugs be widened?

If the lugs are thick enough, find an old watch case and put it in a vise
    and do some filing. I think a lot of practice is needed here.

Possibly, have you tried squeezing in the strap in the current watch? Sometimes this works if it is suitably soft.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

They can be thinned, which would widen the space, but finishing would be a real pain. I'd stay away from power tools to do this, they just might get your goal accomplished faster than you think and in a crooked or overdone way.

Quote Originally Posted by spluurfg View Post
    Possibly, have you tried squeezing in the strap in the current watch? Sometimes this works if it is suitably soft.
    Most of my watches have 24mm lugs and I have a rather substantial collection of straps that size, but I also have a couple of watches that have 22mm lugs. There's usually no problems squeezing a 24mm strap between the 22mm lugs - and I doubt mostly people would even notice it. You could also try notching the strap to fit, but I think that would only be necessary if the strap were many mm wider than the lugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond 'The Box' View Post
    They can be thinned, which would widen the space, but finishing would be a real pain. I'd stay away from power tools to do this, they just might get your goal accomplished faster than you think and in a crooked or overdone way.
    HMMM.. i dont trust myself with even the file... but i figure they could be thinned out that way, perhaps sanded down. so no one has really heard of it being done, or a watch maker/service technician doing such an operation then?

I think filing the inside of the lugs or narrowing the strap are your only options. I would be very wary of trying to pull the lugs outward as you might distort the case shape, especially where the crystal would fit.

Quote Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
    I think filing the inside of the lugs or narrowing the strap are your only options. I would be very wary of trying to pull the lugs outward as you might distort the case shape, especially where the crystal would fit.

right, definitely filing or a med. grit sander.

just looking for someone who has done it before... because i wont take the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower419 View Post
    HMMM.. i dont trust myself with even the file... but i figure they could be thinned out that way, perhaps sanded down. so no one has really heard of it being done, or a watch maker/service technician doing such an operation then?
    To be honest, most of us, when it comes to a strap that's maybe only a millimeter or two larger, just squeeze them in. If it's a steel bracelet you're having issues with, that's a different story all together, but it sounded to me like you were referring to straps. You can also simply notch the straps at the lug ends, it usually looks just fine and is nice to have the wider strap to hold the watch down to your wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower419 View Post
    right, definitely filing or a med. grit sander.

just looking for someone who has done it before... because i wont take the risk.
    I actually have first hand experience in widening the lug width of a watch by several millimeters. However, it was a plastic G-Shock. A detailed how-to I wrote...
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=137799

Even with a motorized Dremel and working on plastic, it took alot of time. If you were to manually do it with sandpaper/file, it will take you much longer (many many hours). It is also extremely difficult to get a nice square and smooth inner lug surface during removal. The first time around, you will likely round the inner edges of the lugs, which will look like crap. Also, one wrong slip of the file/sandpaper and you just irreversibly gouged/defaced your watch case.

In other words, I would not bother, especially if it is an expensive watch.
    Just buy new straps or try squeezing in the ones you have.

MY COLLECTION
    Breitling Aerospace SuperQuartz E75362
    Omega Seamaster Pro Chronometer Mid-size 2052.50
    Sinn 356 Flieger Acrylic on C&B strap
    Seiko SARB027
    Tissot T-Classic Desire T52142113

Luminox 7051
    J. Crew Timex Vintage Field Watch
    Vintage Hamilton's: Boyd, Parker-B, Boulton, A-652, Pan Europ 701, Tonneau, Arnold

Casio G-Shock DW5600E-1V (with Mil-Shock mod)

Thread Information